Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Special_Saver2
    • By Special_Saver2 27th Nov 07, 10:33 PM
    • 1,070Posts
    • 3,479Thanks
    Special_Saver2
    Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!
    • 27th Nov 07, 10:33 PM
    Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List! 27th Nov 07 at 10:33 PM
    1. Introduction

Welcome to this thread. I continually edit the first few posts of this thread to keep it up-to-date. This thread is meant to complement Martin Lewis' article which you can read here: Regular Savings Accounts and the accompanying discussion thread Regularly Beat the Best Savings Account Rates Discussion Area

I am only including accounts where the interest rate is 2.5% or better, or 1.5% if there are particularly favourable terms and conditions (e.g. fixed rate, no maturity date, allow payment of £500 or more per month, or have unlimited withdrawals without penalty).

I have not included regular saver ISA accounts which you can find in Kazza242's thread here: Mini Cash ISAs: The Best ISAs Currently Available List

I have included children's regular savers but I would strongly recommend that you read the section about the tax implications
    for interest from children's accounts in Martin's article Best Child Savings.

If you are not sure whether the best place for your money is in a regular savings account or another type of savings account then look at Martin's article How to Start Saving. If you want to see a worked example of how to use these accounts to save the maximum possible, see the thread What is the Highest Interest Rate You Can Get?

If you have information about a new regular saver account then please feel free to post a message on this thread or you can write a separate thread and then post a link here. Please try and limit discussion on this thread to regular savings accounts.

If you want to bookmark a link that allows you to jump straight to the end of this thread then use this: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...8697&page=9999

If you want to receive automatic alerts when new posts are added to this thread then use the following instructions. Login, go to the top of any page in this thread, click "Thread tools" then click on "Subscribe to this thread" and then select whether you want to be notified as soon as there is a new post (you will receive an e-mail telling you to go to the website for more details) or select daily or weekly updates (you will receive an e-mail daily / weekly with a handy summary of all the new posts).

You may also be interested in the following threads:
    How can regular savings accounts offer such good interest rates?
    Are Regular Savers still worth it? (Calculations and discussion regarding drip feeding lump sums into regular savings accounts)
    Is there a best time of the month to deposit in Regular Savers?
    Transfers from Barclays to regular savings accounts
    Interest on BACS credits
    Direct Debit Payments
    A-Z of bank/building society sort codes/account nos
    Account opening date and 13th payments

Websites with useful information include:
    Moneyfacts.co.uk News Page
    Moneyfacts.co.uk Regular Savings Accounts Page
    Moneyfacts.co.uk Children's Savings Accounts Page
    Moneysupermarket.com Regular Savings Accounts Page

(you need to choose the right hand option on that page to view all regular savings accounts)
    Savings Champion Regular Savings Account Page

Thanks to Money Savers
    adindas, Afahmaep, alanq, aleph_0, AlwaysLearnin, apt, Archi Bald, Ashen, Baldur, blindman, Bluebirdnick, bob792, bristolleedsfan, Careful_ly, Chadsman, Chaykin, chookie1, chris1, colsten, Cosworth806, ctdctd, Dagobert, DeepSporran, dougz, Ed-1, edda, F4, Fella, Froglet, Frogletina, glider3560, gt94sss2, happy with my lot!!, HardCoreProgrammer, IanIan, IanManc, info addict, InMyDreams, innovate, interest Ted, jdavtz, jimbow25, Jo Blogs, johnmoney05, karlie88, Kazza242, Ken68, KTF, lightbulb2760, LongTermLurker, lr1277, lucky77, mary, midzone, MarkFromMullion, MARTYM8', Milarky, moi, moneylover, Money_Man_Steve, MoneySaverLog, motoko, Mr Pumpendumpen, MRMX9, mrssjs, Nessie23, Newly retired, Nick_C, nicko33, notalk, numbers123, Old Slaphead, opinions4u, oxenryd, parker1982, patientperson, penguine, premierfella, psychic teabag, quinlanmd, RayWolfe, red ant, redcar, Rich2808, SalsaDanca, secret wookie, schiff, shokadelika, Snowman, Speculator, steveteach, steve65e, veryintrigued, ViksB, vinylmusic, Vortigern, weeallen, Westie983, worried3, Willing2Learn, and YorkshireBoy for their contributions (useful posts either directly on this thread or on another thread that I have then incorporated here).

I have divided up the information here into several different sections. You can therefore easily skip any sections that you are not interested in.

Unless indicated otherwise, you can only open one of each account.

I have included a summary of the terms and conditions of each account as these can be complicated with regular savings accounts. I would advise you to look at these terms and conditions to check that the account is suitable for you.

2. No Time Limit / Account Maturity Date

The advantage of these accounts is that you can build up a large balance which all earns a high rate of interest. You also avoid the hassle of continually opening and closing accounts and setting up new standing orders for each new account. The terms and conditions are also generally good - they generally allow you to make a penalty-free withdrawal and miss a payment each year. The disadvantage of these accounts is that there is no guarantee that the rate will remain high and often these accounts have a balance limit. If the interest rate drops after 12 months then I include the account in post 4 instead.

3. Matures After More Than 12 Months

The interest rate drops significantly after the date specified.

4. Matures After 12 Months

These accounts usually offer higher interest rates and they often offer interest rates that are fixed for the full 12 months. The main disadvantage with these accounts is that after 12 months the interest rate usually drops significantly. The terms and conditions can also be quite restrictive, so read them carefully.

5. Matures After 12 Months, Requires Another Account

These accounts are similar to the above accounts but they require you to open another account (usually a current account, which often has a funding requirement). They are more hassle than the accounts in section 4 but usually have a higher interest rate in return.

6. Matures After 12 Months, Requires Another Product (Insurance or Investment)

These accounts usually also offer a short term, high interest rate but they require you to make a long term investment or take out an insurance product.

7. Matures After Less Than 12 Months

These accounts are usually Christmas Saver accounts designed to encourage saving in time for Christmas.

8. Homebuyer Accounts

Okay, these accounts will not be of much use to you unless you are going to buy a house but they may be of use to some of you out there.

9. Best Feeder Accounts

These are accounts where you can leave a large lump sum and drip feed the money into your regular savers each month. Certain accounts are not listed here as they cannot transfer money directly to regular savings accounts. The accounts listed can do BACS transfers to regular savings accounts directly. Alternatively, if you have an offset mortgage, you might be able to use that as a feeder account but it is only worth doing so if the interest paid (after tax) on the regular saver account is higher than the interest rate on your mortgage account.
    Last edited by Special_Saver2; 27-03-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Page 268
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 19th Apr 17, 7:30 AM
    • 675 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Jo Blogs

May I ask those who have successfully applied online, when did you apply and no technical error ?

I wonder if anyone else who applied last week or this week who could share their experience ??
    Originally posted by adindas
    I opened a Santander Regular E-saver this morning with no problem adindas

Are you definately sure you have cookies enabled adindas?
    Have you tried logging into Santander before applying for the product?

I just tried to apply for the e-saver from the home page without initially logging in, and the script seems to be working ok, right through to having to log in to apply. Cookies are really the only thing I can think of..........
    Last edited by Jo Blogs; 19-04-2017 at 7:53 AM.
    Saved Nitty Gritty £6585.48 [132%] / £5000-[July] £552.15 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3882.77 June NSDs 25/15CCCChl 34/52 weeks
    June PPChl#002 Pts 225
    • 10_66
    • By 10_66 19th Apr 17, 7:37 AM
    • 2,586 Posts
    • 968 Thanks
    10_66
    ...because you have disabled cookies on your browser
    Definitely not Correct...
    Sorry, can't think of anything else then if you're sure it's not connected to cookies.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 19th Apr 17, 7:53 AM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 3,598 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Are you logged to your Santander online banking when applying?
    Are you accessing it via a bookmark?
    Try going in from scratch with http://www.santander.co.uk
    Try clearing your cache
    • adindas
    • By adindas 19th Apr 17, 8:18 AM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 1,500 Thanks
    adindas
    Sorry, can't think of anything else then if you're sure it's not connected to cookies.
    Originally posted by 10_66
    Do not know about this, but what I could tell, on my privacy setting I always
    Accept cookies from sites
    Accept third-party cookies
    Keep until: They expire

I just check it again a few minutes ago with this website shown
    http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/index
    No change at all.

Also in the past, I have applied several Santander and other banks on line products with no problem at all.
    Last edited by adindas; 19-04-2017 at 8:23 AM.
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 19th Apr 17, 8:36 AM
    • 675 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Have you tried what ColdIron suggested of clearing your cache? It's got to be either cookies or cache.
    - How frustrating for you adindas!
    Saved Nitty Gritty £6585.48 [132%] / £5000-[July] £552.15 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    June PPChl#002 Pts 225
    • adindas
    • By adindas 19th Apr 17, 8:54 AM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 1,500 Thanks
    adindas
    I opened a Santander Regular E-saver this morning with no problem adindas

Originally posted by Jo Blogs
    Did you to open it using from mobile platform or from PC. Thanks again ...

I have not tried it from Mobile platform but may try it if it will make a difference ...
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 19th Apr 17, 8:56 AM
    • 675 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Did you to open it using from mobile platform or from PC. Thanks again ...

I have not tried it from Mobile platform but may try it if it will make a difference ...
    I used a PC
    June PPChl#002 Pts 225
    • pafpcg
    • By pafpcg 19th Apr 17, 11:46 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    pafpcg
    Santander error messages
    A technical error has occurred. .......

Does anyone else got the same problem ?
    Over the years I've seen similar error messages when trying to do mundane actions and never finding any reason for the failure. Then I tracked it down!

My partner and I have an old Santander Business Current account. I've setup our default logins so that one of us logs in using the Business login identity (which displays both business and personal accounts) and the other logs in using a Personal login identity. The Santander "system" allows users to do some things as a business user and some as a personal user; for example, I couldn't open a new regular/monthly saver account when logged in as a business user (but I can view the account and setup standing orders to pay into the regular saver). I most recently saw this unexplained "technical error" last month when, logged-in as a personal user, I tried to set-up a standing order to pay the first payment on a specific date: I just got this "technical error" message with no explanation. It wasn't until I tried to do the same operation for my partner using the business identity that although the system rejected the instruction again, it failed with a meaningful error message which highlighted that my specified date was a non-working day. Once I'd twigged the solution (change the date to a working day), I could setup the standing order in both business and personal identities.

This may not fit your circumstances, but it does seem that Santander has a system backend that sometimes does not handle the unexpected at all well and is prone to throw back to the user some generic and unhelpful error message. The systems that operate the Business and Personal user identities behave differently - in my experience, the Business user gets more reliable/helpful error messages.
    Last edited by pafpcg; 19-04-2017 at 5:56 PM. Reason: typo
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 19th Apr 17, 11:47 AM
    • 8,251 Posts
    • 105,846 Thanks
    karlie88
    If I were you adindas, I'd just phone them to open one now. That's if it doesn't work via mobile banking...

Yes it'll take 20 minutes, but you've probably 'wasted' more time trying to clear caches, use different browsers and attempted to remove chocolate chip cookies (which I'm more than happy to do for you).
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • adindas
    • By adindas 19th Apr 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 1,500 Thanks
    adindas
    Just want to feed the forum.
    I manage to get to the next step. This time I am using internet explorer iE10.
    It might be due to browser but it might also something to do with their system, in the last few days and fixed today.

I have got this massage. "Your application has been received"

Check my email and got confirmation.
    We're pleased to let you know that your Monthly Saver is now open and ready for you to use..

For Karlie88. I have tried it. They do not allow people to apply over the phone all they will ask you is to book an appointment with them on branch.
    Last edited by adindas; 19-04-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    • schiff
    • By schiff 19th Apr 17, 12:09 PM
    • 17,469 Posts
    • 8,805 Thanks
    schiff

It has not been confirmed open but I have got this massage.
    Well that should sooth your nerves for a while
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 19th Apr 17, 12:24 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Just want to feed the forum.
    I manage to get to the next step. This time I am using internet explorer iE10.
    It might be due to browser but it might also something to do with their system, in the last few days and fixed today.

I have got this massage. "Your application has been received"

Check my email and got confirmation.
    We're pleased to let you know that your Monthly Saver is now open and ready for you to use..

For Karlie88. I have tried it. They do not allow people to apply over the phone all they will ask you is to book an appointment with them on branch.
    Brilliant adindas! A result at last!
    June PPChl#002 Pts 225
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 20th Apr 17, 7:16 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    Hattie625
    Does anyone know when the next Virgin Money Regular E Saver is due to be released?
    The currently advertised one (Issue 4) has a maturity date of 20 April 2018. We are now less than a year to that date. I thought the new one would have been released before the first pre-anniversary of the maturity date of the preceding one.
    I have issues 1 to 4 of the online RS's, plus Issue 1 of the Matchday E Regular Saver. I don't bother with the store ones.
    • aleph_0
    • By aleph_0 20th Apr 17, 7:33 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    aleph_0
    Does anyone know when the next Virgin Money Regular E Saver is due to be released?
    The currently advertised one (Issue 4) has a maturity date of 20 April 2018. We are now less than a year to that date. I thought the new one would have been released before the first pre-anniversary of the maturity date of the preceding one.
    I have issues 1 to 4 of the online RS's, plus Issue 1 of the Matchday E Regular Saver. I don't bother with the store ones.
    Originally posted by Hattie625
    Second half of next month. The accounts so far have been released every two months, with ~13 months to maturity when they are released, and 11 months to maturity when they are replaced.

We are due issue 2 of the matchday savers now, though. I'd expect issue 2 to be released sometime before the end of the month.
    • Special_Saver2
    • By Special_Saver2 23rd Apr 17, 12:14 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 3,479 Thanks
    Special_Saver2
    Hi Folks,

Here is this weekend's update.

I cannot find anything that has changed.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
    • ashteadgirl
    • By ashteadgirl 23rd Apr 17, 11:46 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    ashteadgirl
    Hi
    Think the Darlington BS High Days & Holidays Bonus Saver has disappeared as now in closed accounts list. Seems to have been replaced by Special Occasions Saver paying 1.25% upto £250 per month. Only available to those that live in DBS branch area.
    • JamesRobinson48
    • By JamesRobinson48 24th Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    JamesRobinson48
    The new RS offering from Chorley BS looks worth a look: 2.50% p.a. variable; 12 months term; max £500 per month; branch or post; open to UK residents; this BS seems to have online 'read only' functionality. Plus a distinct 2.75% issue for existing members of long standing. Does anyone see a catch?
    Last edited by JamesRobinson48; 24-04-2017 at 7:30 PM.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 24th Apr 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,167 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Does anyone see a catch?
    Originally posted by JamesRobinson48
    I don't see one yet, and the account can be opened by post.

Withdrawals by cash or cheque, or CHAPS with a £25 fee, so not instant (electronic) access to the balance at maturity of the account.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • schiff
    • By schiff 24th Apr 17, 8:24 PM
    • 17,469 Posts
    • 8,805 Thanks
    schiff
    Interesting!

Not clear if the monthly deposits can be varied, fairly important if you are committed to £500 max per month!
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 24th Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    • 8,251 Posts
    • 105,846 Thanks
    karlie88
    Looks good - send off application form with cheque. No need to send ID via post initially as they'll do an electronic check - if that fails then you're required to send it through. Is that correct?
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,413Users online

Martin's Twitter