Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 28th Nov 07, 1:44 PM
    • 7,493Posts
    • 9,626Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!
    • 28th Nov 07, 1:44 PM
    Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List! 28th Nov 07 at 1:44 PM
    Watch out on this account. Tho' it's promoted as £1000pm its actually £1000 during the 6 weeks prior to your statement date!

Depending on your statement date this means that, theoretically you could pay in £1000 in 2 consecutive calendar months and get a penal interest rate (approx 0.5%) OR you could pay in £0 in a calendar month and still get the full 6.35% for that month!!

The "£1000 in 6 weeks prior to statement date" is hidden away in the T&Cs.
    Originally posted by Old Slaphead

this is how the post on the subject was made on r-points on 17th november.

funtimefrankie
    Gifted

Posted: 17 Nov 2007 15:55 Post subject: BEWARE THE COVENTRY FIRST ACCOUNT

If you're looking for good catches - try the Coventry First.

You think you're supposed to pay in £1000pm to get 6.35% interest ? - Well no, actually you have to pay in £1000 during the 6 weeks before statement date. My statement is 19th of month - therefore, using October as example I have to pay in £1000 between 7th Sept and 19th Oct to qualify for 6.35%.

I actually paid in money on 6th Sept and 20th Oct and qualified for 0.5% interest in October !!!!!

Using the Coventry method, it's both pssible to pay in £1000 in 2 consecutive calendar months (as I did) and only get 0.5% interest, conversley, it's possible to pay in nothing in a calendar month and still get 6.35%.

Is THAT weird or what !
Page 267
    • Special_Saver2
    • By Special_Saver2 14th Apr 17, 8:23 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 3,809 Thanks
    Special_Saver2
    Hi Everybody,

Here is this weekend's update.

I cannot find anything that has changed.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
    • 10_66
    • By 10_66 15th Apr 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    10_66
    TSB Monthly Saver - Standing Orders
    Last year when setting up a TSB Monthly Saver (5%), although the payments into it had to be by SO they didn't have to come from a TSB current account (only had to have a TSB current account to qualify). I've just set up this year's (2%), and in the summary box sheet it states under "ways to pay in" "You must set up a monthly standing order between £25 and up to £250 from a TSB current account".

However, in their T&C's it states "You must agree to set up a standing order into the Account for one payment of between £25 and £250 each calendar month the Account is open. It doesn't say in this sentence that it has to be from a TSB account.

Can anyone clarify if the SO's now definitely have to come from TSB, please?

Edit: I've just spoken to TSB who confirm that the summary box is incorrect and they'll be amending it. The SO can come from another bank account.

Last edited by 10_66; 15-04-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    • mgarl10024
    • By mgarl10024 15th Apr 17, 4:27 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    mgarl10024
    Edit: I've just spoken to TSB who confirm that the summary box is incorrect and they'll be amending it. The SO can come from another bank account.
    Originally posted by 10_66
    Might be worth getting that in writing.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 18th Apr 17, 8:17 PM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    adindas
    Santander Regular eSaver - Problem with online application ??
    Since last week I have tried a few times to open a new Santander Regular eSaver online. I tired this afternoon again a few times still the same problem. This is the message I always get.

A technical error has occurred. This could be:
    - due to inactivity :
    Definitely not Correct as there is no inactivity

due to a system problem :
    Is it their System ??

because you have tried to access a secure page you have previously bookmarked.
    Do not Understand About this. But in the past I have no problem to apply a new online product.

because you have disabled cookies on your browser
    Definitely not Correct

Please try again or, if you are still experiencing technical difficulties please call us on 0845 600 4388

I have tried to call their TB Customer Service and she told me that it could not be opened over the phone. She advised me to book an appointment with a branch. Of course I will try not to go to their branch if possible.

Does anyone else got the same problem ?
    How did you solve the problem like this ?

Any info will be very much appreciated.
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 18th Apr 17, 8:40 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall

How did you solve the problem like this ?

Any info will be very much appreciated.
    Originally posted by adindas
    I opened this account without problems. In your situation I'd first try using a different browser or a different device.

Mark
    • 10_66
    • By 10_66 18th Apr 17, 8:41 PM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    10_66
    ...Any info will be very much appreciated.
    I'm no techie, but could you try using a different browser (ie, Chrome if you don't already use it)?
    • adindas
    • By adindas 19th Apr 17, 1:46 AM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    adindas
    I'm no techie, but could you try using a different browser (ie, Chrome if you don't already use it)?
    I opened this account without problems. In your situation I'd first try using a different browser or a different device.

Mark
    Originally posted by MarkFromCornwall
    Thanks for the advice. I have tried using three different Browsers e.g Firefox, Chrome, Edge still luck. Also I have used computer on my workplace. I also have clears all of temporary files, history, cookies still no luck.

May I ask those who have successfully applied online, when did you apply and no technical error ?

I wonder if anyone else who applied last week or this week who could share their experience ??
    • 10_66
    • By 10_66 19th Apr 17, 6:12 AM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    10_66
    ...I wonder if anyone else who applied last week or this week who could share their experience ??
    As no one else is reporting the same error it doesn't seem like the problem's on Santander's side. I know this might be a daft question, but have you got one of the qualifying accounts you need in order to open their regular saver (123 current account) or you don't already have a Santander regular saver?
    • adindas
    • By adindas 19th Apr 17, 7:20 AM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    adindas
    As no one else is reporting the same error it doesn't seem like the problem's on Santander's side. I know this might be a daft question, but have you got one of the qualifying accounts you need in order to open their regular saver (123 current account) or you don't already have a Santander regular saver?
    1. Yes, I have Santander 123 lite
    2. No. I had regular e-saver before, but It was mature early last week and is already converted to everyday saver (forgot the exact name (?)
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 19th Apr 17, 7:30 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Jo Blogs

May I ask those who have successfully applied online, when did you apply and no technical error ?

I wonder if anyone else who applied last week or this week who could share their experience ??
    I opened a Santander Regular E-saver this morning with no problem adindas

Are you definately sure you have cookies enabled adindas?
    Have you tried logging into Santander before applying for the product?

I just tried to apply for the e-saver from the home page without initially logging in, and the script seems to be working ok, right through to having to log in to apply. Cookies are really the only thing I can think of..........
    Last edited by Jo Blogs; 19-04-2017 at 7:53 AM.
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 Sept NSDs 4/15CCCChl 9/12 months
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • 10_66
    • By 10_66 19th Apr 17, 7:37 AM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    10_66
    ...because you have disabled cookies on your browser
    Definitely not Correct...
    Sorry, can't think of anything else then if you're sure it's not connected to cookies.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 19th Apr 17, 7:53 AM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 4,747 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Are you logged to your Santander online banking when applying?
    Are you accessing it via a bookmark?
    Try going in from scratch with http://www.santander.co.uk
    Try clearing your cache
    • adindas
    • By adindas 19th Apr 17, 8:18 AM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    adindas
    Sorry, can't think of anything else then if you're sure it's not connected to cookies.
    Do not know about this, but what I could tell, on my privacy setting I always
    Accept cookies from sites
    Accept third-party cookies
    Keep until: They expire

I just check it again a few minutes ago with this website shown
    http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/index
    No change at all.

Also in the past, I have applied several Santander and other banks on line products with no problem at all.
    Last edited by adindas; 19-04-2017 at 8:23 AM.
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 19th Apr 17, 8:36 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Have you tried what ColdIron suggested of clearing your cache? It's got to be either cookies or cache.
    - How frustrating for you adindas!
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • adindas
    • By adindas 19th Apr 17, 8:54 AM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    adindas
    I opened a Santander Regular E-saver this morning with no problem adindas

Originally posted by Jo Blogs
    Did you to open it using from mobile platform or from PC. Thanks again ...

I have not tried it from Mobile platform but may try it if it will make a difference ...
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 19th Apr 17, 8:56 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Did you to open it using from mobile platform or from PC. Thanks again ...

I have not tried it from Mobile platform but may try it if it will make a difference ...
    I used a PC
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • pafpcg
    • By pafpcg 19th Apr 17, 11:46 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    pafpcg
    Santander error messages
    A technical error has occurred. .......

Over the years I've seen similar error messages when trying to do mundane actions and never finding any reason for the failure. Then I tracked it down!

My partner and I have an old Santander Business Current account. I've setup our default logins so that one of us logs in using the Business login identity (which displays both business and personal accounts) and the other logs in using a Personal login identity. The Santander "system" allows users to do some things as a business user and some as a personal user; for example, I couldn't open a new regular/monthly saver account when logged in as a business user (but I can view the account and setup standing orders to pay into the regular saver). I most recently saw this unexplained "technical error" last month when, logged-in as a personal user, I tried to set-up a standing order to pay the first payment on a specific date: I just got this "technical error" message with no explanation. It wasn't until I tried to do the same operation for my partner using the business identity that although the system rejected the instruction again, it failed with a meaningful error message which highlighted that my specified date was a non-working day. Once I'd twigged the solution (change the date to a working day), I could setup the standing order in both business and personal identities.

This may not fit your circumstances, but it does seem that Santander has a system backend that sometimes does not handle the unexpected at all well and is prone to throw back to the user some generic and unhelpful error message. The systems that operate the Business and Personal user identities behave differently - in my experience, the Business user gets more reliable/helpful error messages.
    Last edited by pafpcg; 19-04-2017 at 5:56 PM. Reason: typo
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 19th Apr 17, 11:47 AM
    • 8,331 Posts
    • 106,068 Thanks
    karlie88
    If I were you adindas, I'd just phone them to open one now. That's if it doesn't work via mobile banking...

Yes it'll take 20 minutes, but you've probably 'wasted' more time trying to clear caches, use different browsers and attempted to remove chocolate chip cookies (which I'm more than happy to do for you).
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • adindas
    • By adindas 19th Apr 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    adindas
    Just want to feed the forum.
    I manage to get to the next step. This time I am using internet explorer iE10.
    It might be due to browser but it might also something to do with their system, in the last few days and fixed today.

I have got this massage. "Your application has been received"

Check my email and got confirmation.
    We're pleased to let you know that your Monthly Saver is now open and ready for you to use..

For Karlie88. I have tried it. They do not allow people to apply over the phone all they will ask you is to book an appointment with them on branch.
    Last edited by adindas; 19-04-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    • schiff
    • By schiff 19th Apr 17, 12:09 PM
    • 17,838 Posts
    • 9,187 Thanks
    schiff

It has not been confirmed open but I have got this massage.
    Well that should sooth your nerves for a while
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,307Posts Today

6,551Users online

Martin's Twitter