Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Comments

• I've seen from Martin's emails that he's advising a utility fix now. I'm currently on E.ON Save Online 2 (electricity only) fix, which ends on 31st August 2011. I've used energyhelpline.com to compare costs and to gain the £15 cashback, but it seems I can't get a better deal than I had with EON. The best deal means I have to pay an extra £22 annually, but I am presuming I have to accept this because it may turn out to be cheaper than the planned price rises (and is only a £7 loss with cashback anyway). Consequently, I'm looking to switch to Npower Go fix 6, the lowest priced deal.

I presumed I'd be able to tell energyhelpline that I'd like my new deal to start on 1st September 2011 so that my current EON SaveOnline 2 contract could finish, but it looks like I have to change today! (I couldn't see any buttons that appeared to mean I could change the start date). Can anybody advise whether it's better to change now or to wait until 31st August? I'm presuming the costs might rise further in the meantime, so am assuming I should go now, but could just use a quick response as this stuff isn't very straightforward!
    ----
    MsConstipatedPiggyBank is a massive fan of MSE.
  • mbailey
    mbailey Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've seen from Martin's emails that he's advising a utility fix now. I'm currently on E.ON Save Online 2 (electricity only) fix, which ends on 31st August 2011. I've used energyhelpline.com to compare costs and to gain the £15 cashback, but it seems I can't get a better deal than I had with EON. The best deal means I have to pay an extra £22 annually, but I am presuming I have to accept this because it may turn out to be cheaper than the planned price rises (and is only a £7 loss with cashback anyway). Consequently, I'm looking to switch to Npower Go fix 6, the lowest priced deal.

I presumed I'd be able to tell energyhelpline that I'd like my new deal to start on 1st September 2011 so that my current EON SaveOnline 2 contract could finish, but it looks like I have to change today! (I couldn't see any buttons that appeared to mean I could change the start date). Can anybody advise whether it's better to change now or to wait until 31st August? I'm presuming the costs might rise further in the meantime, so am assuming I should go now, but could just use a quick response as this stuff isn't very straightforward!

I think the suggestion is that the 2 lowest rates around at the moment the Npower go fix 6 or the EDF Fixed Saver 2 are likely to be pulled soon. (How soon, who knows...) The reason is that these are currently lower than the likes of the rises seen by Scottish Power and British Gas.

Npower and EDF will have to raise their rates soon and when they do so increase these fixed rate deals.

Presumably if you leave your EON fixed rate deal early you will have to pay an exit fee. It may work out cheaper to pay that exit fee now rather than wait. That is the gamble you have to take...
  • curlygirl1971
    curlygirl1971 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    alfonso wrote: »
    I also did this and are tied until May 2012, yet they send offers of latest tariffs etc via email, so I asked them about changing to websaver 12 or a fixed locked in tariff.
    There response ? a £30 penalty for each fuel will be charged for switching.:(:eek:
    No thanks
    I understand a penalty for switching supplier but not for switching within the same company.
    My business going elswhere next renewal

I also switched from one BG tarrif to another and was told the same thing. I queried it and they waived it straight away - the CSA I was talking to seemed to think it was wrong and meant to only apply to customers leaving BG. But I guess it's pot luck as to who you get to speak to

Annoying though - as when I've changed tarrifs, upto now I've always made sure I can cancel without penalty so not sure how this switching penalty snook in

In light of recent warning I'm now considering moving to NPower price fix 6 or Price Protector, bit nervous though....:rotfl:
  • Hi, as a full time carer for my disabled pensioner husband we are on the British Gas essentials dual fuel tarrif. I'm really not sure whether to consider switching to other suppliers as I have been told that other companies do not have anything comparable. Anyone know more? Thanks.
  • Ajayel
    Ajayel Posts: 3 Newbie
    Do the price comparison sites linked from the newsletter include the latest British Gas price rise, or will that only be included once it is in operation?

I've tried all 4 comparison sites linked from your newsletter to find a fixed alternative to British Gas but the best comparison shows a saving of only £19 on an average bill of £1800 p.a.

Obviously if the BG rise isn't factored in yet, I will save that on top of the £19, which will be a large additional saving.
  • krato
    krato Posts: 80 Forumite
    The majority of suppliers do not allow this, however we are able to perform a tariff to tariff switch with Npower. It will not cause any problems and you will still qualify for the cash back.

Thanks for the reply! I was a bit worried for a moment! Its great to hear I still qualify for the cashback too. I have emailed you regards to the question but havent received a reply. Would npower take the current tarriff usage and use that to calculate the new tarriff or would they use the info I gave? My usage which I supplied might be £5 out or so, as I didn't have the latest statement.
  • Noahnewby
    Noahnewby Posts: 816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 July 2011 at 9:03PM
    I've recently switched to British Gas Websaver 11 Account which my previous Company admitted was the cheapest on the market at the time they did their " Why are you switching?" call and admitted they couldn't compete with this. Have I jumped out of the frying pan into the fire?:(

To save me from a lot of reading, anybody out there know whether I'm tied in for a year and whether I could switch to a fixed rate with BG if I am tied up?
    EDIT
    Found the email I received which had a handy click to T&C of tariff which takes me to Websaver 12 T&C:wall:

If this is same T&C as Websaver 11 I'm tied in until 30/09/12 - Did it in a hurry didn't check! :o lesson learned. Anyone been successful switching to fixed rate with BG - I'll not hold my breath.
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mbailey wrote: »
    Just wondering how it works with the cooling off period and when a supplier can pull a rate?

I have applied for EDF Fix Saver 2 tarrif yesterday (through moneysupermarket.com), but now I am in a 12 day cooling off period before anything happens.

Can EDF cancel the tarriff in that time or have I managed to secure it?
    I think the cooling off period is only in case you change your mind. You signed up for a fixed price contract so your tariff will be safe.
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Anyone help me with my query on previous page?
  • Im currently with British Gas for gas & electric on a standard tariff, and have compared so will switch to an e.on fixed tariff. But the question is, do I fix till Sept 2012 or to March 2014? How long is best to fix till? How soon will prices start to come down again?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback