Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Gas & Electricity: Find the cheapest supplier and earn up to £30 cashback
    • 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    Gas & Electricity: Find the cheapest supplier and earn up to £30 cashback 26th Nov 07 at 5:50 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 8:43 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 181
    • Jawsquip
    • By Jawsquip 21st Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jawsquip
    How do I post a new thread? I have a specific question but not as a reply to someone's post. I can't find the button to start a new discussion
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 21st Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    How do I post a new thread? I have a specific question but not as a reply to someone's post. I can't find the button to start a new discussion
    Originally posted by Jawsquip
    If it's a question about energy then start <here> and, at the top of the page, hit the New Thread button.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 15th Nov 17, 2:08 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 3,144 Thanks
    victor2
    Just joined. I read reviews and they seem to be on the right side. I'll keep you posted. They offer as well incentive for people to join (£100). It's for the new customer and for the person referring. Please use link below. Please notice is https. We'll both get £100 discount
    [link was here]
    Originally posted by dorublan
    Welcome to the forum, but I suggest you read the rules you agreed to upon signing up, regarding posting links.
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 17th Nov 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    Lungboy
    Is there any sign of a new group buy on the horizon?
    • tpg
    • By tpg 23rd Nov 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tpg
    "Hi i am on a home energy fixed till Nov 18 , dose this mean im locked in till Nov18 . Bit scared to change, yes i know silly me, im on £39 gas £51 elec. with B.G. what would you recomend please. thanks"
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 23rd Nov 17, 9:31 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    "Hi i am on a home energy fixed till Nov 18 , dose this mean im locked in till Nov18 . Bit scared to change, yes i know silly me, im on £39 gas £51 elec. with B.G. what would you recomend please. thanks"
    Originally posted by tpg
    You're never completely locked in - you can always change at any time you want.

The problem with fixed contracts is that there is often an early-termination charge - if you change supplier or tariff before the end of the contract. You will need to check the Terms & Conditions of your tariff for how much, if any, the charge is.

Can you still save money with a new supplier if you do have to pay the charge? Generally, that might be difficult but it may be possible if switching from BG.

Edit
    If you're on the BG HomeEnergy-Capped Nov 2018, there is an early termination fee of £20 for each fuel. So can you save more than £40 if you switch early?
    Last edited by Consumerist; 23-11-2017 at 9:45 PM.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 24th Nov 17, 9:04 AM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 3,144 Thanks
    victor2
    Originally posted by tpg
    Your BG bills will show what they estimate your annual usage for each fuel in kWh will be. Put these figures into a comparison site such as MSE's Cheap Energy Club, or uSwitch and see what they suggest as possible suppliers. Do not use your current monthly cost on these sites, the results are pretty meaningless.
    As Consumerist says, you will have an early termination charge if you leave BG now, so any savings must cover that at least.
    In my experience with BG, they will start increasing your DD amount as you get within 6 months or so of the contract end, as they assume you will go onto their more expensive standard rate after the end date. You can use their website or phone them to control the adjustment though - but you have to understand your annual usage and associated cost to be able to do that and avoid a significant debit (or credit) balance when you leave them.
    • Richard Fry
    • By Richard Fry 27th Nov 17, 5:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richard Fry
    British Gas
    Hi I went onto a few price comparison websites and British Gas are top or second place in terms of savings. Looks like they've finally decided to complete with the online companies I've never heard of. I'm signing up. First a Utility were cheap but you can't get hold of anybody and impossible to find a telephone number.
    • Richard Fry
    • By Richard Fry 27th Nov 17, 5:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richard Fry
    That's not my experience. And by the way BG have just started offering a really competing rate on Uswitch
    • Richard Fry
    • By Richard Fry 27th Nov 17, 5:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richard Fry
    British Gas
    Offering a great deal via Uswitch.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 27th Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @Richard Fry
    Dual fuel only, region 11
    British Gas All Online Jan 2019
    "This will cost you an extra £36/yr" per CEC for my usage.

So not too bad but Bulb would be cheaper and has referral links to give more cash back than the switching sites do.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 27th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Offering a great deal via Uswitch.
    Originally posted by Richard Fry
    I suggest you check your comparison settings.

Try checking the option button (top-left of results) "Include plans that require switching directly through the supplier" and see if BG even comes up on the first page or two.at uSwitch.

On my comparison, BG comes up No. 18 in the list and is £100 pa more expensive than the cheapest.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 27-11-2017 at 7:10 PM.
    • Dave Duggan
    • By Dave Duggan 29th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Dave Duggan
    Stayed with British Gas and saved £32 a month, just the job.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 29th Nov 17, 11:39 AM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Stayed with British Gas and saved £32 a month, just the job.
    Originally posted by Dave Duggan
    Just what job?

It's all very well saying you saved £32 a month by staying with BG but you don't say how you achieved this great saving, if indeed you have "saved" it or were you merely promised it by a comparison site?.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 29th Nov 17, 11:42 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . On experience, who would you recommend for a one year fixed deal? . . .
    Originally posted by WaxiesDargle
    This week's <MSE newsletter> had an informative article on how to select an energy supplier to suit your personal needs. Hope it helps you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,862Users online

Martin's Twitter