Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Gas & Electricity: Find the cheapest supplier and earn up to £30 cashback
    • 26th Nov 07, 5:50 PM
    Gas & Electricity: Find the cheapest supplier and earn up to £30 cashback 26th Nov 07 at 5:50 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 8:43 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 180
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 18th Aug 17, 10:58 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    footyguy
    The suppliers can choose who they give their tariff information to. OFGEM decided this was allowable to make the market fairer and competitive, go figure !

And Which? want your address and e-mail to simply do a comparison.
    Originally posted by molerat
    So do the Cheap Energy Club.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 19th Aug 17, 10:47 AM
    • 708 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Citizens Advice Bureau just requires an address , just use your next door neighbour's house number for the actual comparison as it doesn't matter. Then go to the website for the chosen energy provider and only give them your real details,
    https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    • PMQUILTY
    • By PMQUILTY 19th Aug 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PMQUILTY
    Big Fix
    My last MSE big fix deal (with British Gas) is due to expire beginning of October - I had a quick look at current market comparisons & Increases across the board look horrendous ❗️ with all the major providers offering only a small discount against their standard tariff for a one year fix- (not much better with the small players ? Most of whom I wouldn't consider as customer service levels just aren't there) - that doesn't even get me through next winter. Can anyone from MSE advise if a new big fix in September with a reputable provider is realistic ?? If not should I just stay with BG & keep their smart meter as seems pointless to change to a new unknown provider for a minimal saving 🤔
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 19th Aug 17, 5:38 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @PMQUILTY

MSE Staff response is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5692120
    Last edited by gsmlnx; 19-08-2017 at 8:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    • Overseer
    • By Overseer 19th Aug 17, 6:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Overseer
    Green Network Energy.
    I've just moved energy from British Gas to Green Network Energy as shown on MSE's Cheap Energy Club, it was very easy using their website.I'll post my experience with them in due course.

BG has increased charges and although they installed a Smart Meter 3 months ago I have yet to see the benefit, apart from not providing meter readings. My account was not up to date even though the Smart meter takes/sends readings daily. It was months behind.
    I'll have to send readings monthly to my new supplier, but at least they will be £100's cheaper.
    • Paddy McGinty
    • By Paddy McGinty 20th Aug 17, 8:42 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paddy McGinty
    Meter change
    I'm lucky in securing a seniors bungalow via the local council.

I joined Martin's CEC and was glad to see what I might save.

Now the problem. Although free to change supplier for dual fuel, I must move, (under council rules) in under the current provider. I spoke to them, SSE and the meter is for economy7, even though it's normal gas heating with radiators.

Martin's estimate was £57pm. This E7 meter will charge me £110pm.

SSE will change the meter at no cost to myself. However I must obtain permission from the council, who if simply posting out the permission form will ten days to do so. Needless to say, I'm going in to fill the form there tomorrow.

If they take ten days to post a form, this switch could take forever and I'm paying double meanwhile for my fuel.

Then there is this problem.

If the Council give the go ahead for a different meter (sometime) and it's fitted, what is legal in changing suppliers after SSE fitted the new meter.
    Can I immediately change to someone cheaper after they fitted a new meter?
    • victor2
    • By victor2 21st Aug 17, 10:17 AM
    • 4,709 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    victor2

Now the problem. Although free to change supplier for dual fuel, I must move, (under council rules) in under the current provider. I spoke to them, SSE and the meter is for economy7, even though it's normal gas heating with radiators.

SSE will change the meter at no cost to myself. However I must obtain permission from the council, who if simply posting out the permission form will ten days to do so. Needless to say, I'm going in to fill the form there tomorrow.

If they take ten days to post a form, this switch could take forever and I'm paying double meanwhile for my fuel.

If the Council give the go ahead for a different meter (sometime) and it's fitted, what is legal in changing suppliers after SSE fitted the new meter.
    Originally posted by Paddy McGinty
    Not sure what your problem really is. Many suppliers will accept you on a single rate electricity tariff even with an E7 meter - they just add the reported day and night usage together to get the total used. You should check with the supplier you are thinking of moving to, to make sure they will accept an E7 meter on a non-E7 tariff though.
    How did you arrive at the £57/month figure? The only accurate way to predict future cost is to use your actual annual usage in kWh for each fuel. If you're new to the place, you won't have any usage history, but your latest bill may well show the previous tenants annual usage. THat should give you an idea how much energy you are likely to use, assuming you live the same lifestyle as the previous tenant(s).
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 21st Aug 17, 2:29 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    footyguy

Originally posted by Paddy McGinty
    Martin has got his estimate widely wrong

Or more likely, you propvided duff info on which to base an estimate.

What annual usages did you assume?
    What proportion is assumed used at low rate?
    What supply region are you in (or first part of postcode)

You can switch supplier any time you like.
    Beware early exit fees if you agree to a traiff that has them (but MSE CEC cashback may mitigate the cost significantly)
    Best not to apply to switch supplier whilst a change of meter is outstanding as the supplier may well cancel the change, but otherwise you can switch at any time

(Also not wise to switch when you have some types of dispute in progress - this depends on the nature of the dispute)
    Last edited by footyguy; 21-08-2017 at 2:38 PM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 21st Aug 17, 2:33 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    footyguy
    Not sure what your problem really is. Many suppliers will accept you on a single rate electricity tariff even with an E7 meter - ...
    Originally posted by victor2
    Only a handful of suppliers will do this, and SSE are not one of them
    They will, however, as the poster says, change the meter for free.
    • Psyurmh
    • By Psyurmh 10th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Psyurmh
    Switching to Toto
    Morning folks

Today, I've requested a switch to Toto energy and the 100% renewable saver via MSE.

The comparison tool mentioned that there would be a further £50 credit applied if I have a smart meter installed. However, on the MSE form to switch there wasn't an option to request a smart meter to be installed (there was only one question asking if I had a smart meter already). As there is no request on the form how will the energy supplier know that I want a meter installed to get the £50 credit?

I only want to switch if I get the additional £50. Has anyone been through the process? How does it work?

TIA
    Cheers
    • Killa_byte
    • By Killa_byte 10th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Killa_byte
    OVO Energy good?

is it a good idea to tie into a 2 year contract? or should i remain with 1 year contact.

not sure what to do with Brexit and all, not sure if the energy prices will rise?
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 10th Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    • 708 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @Psyurmh
    You need to contact TOTO and ask them the question about the smart meters

@Killa_byte
    Nobody can give you the correct answer about whether a 2 year contract is good or bad value for you. It is up to you to decide if you want the security of knowing the price of your energy for the next 2 years or if 1 year deals are better value.
    If anyone could predict energy prices they would not be here but online trading energy for a living.
    The only thing about a 2 year deal is that the company supplying it will do so at a price that they make a profit from it regardless of the changes in the market prices.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 10th Sep 17, 1:14 PM
    • 4,667 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . is it a good idea to tie into a 2 year contract? or should i remain with 1 year contact.

not sure what to do with Brexit and all, not sure if the energy prices will rise?
    Originally posted by Killa_byte
    Hi Killa_byte and welcome to the forum

It really depends on whether you are risk averse or prepared to take your chance.

If certainty of prices is important to you then you should consider the two-year option. If the exchange rate continues its recent downward trend then future energy prices are likely to continue increasing because energy is traded in $US.

The penalty for this certainty is that you pay a higher rate in year 1 as well as year 2 of the fix.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Paddy McGinty
    • By Paddy McGinty 13th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paddy McGinty
    Thanks to all for replying. Only got the internet yesterday so will digest your replies later. I'm still awaiting permission to change the meter (which will cost the Council nothing).
    • eggheadnappa
    • By eggheadnappa 14th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eggheadnappa
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could offer advise please?

I'm planning on switching Gas & electric for the first time and after reading some interestings stuff on the forum I've being weighing up moving to ovo from e.on. Not sure what's best saving tho, deal I've been looking at is £250 for 2 yr fix but I can save £150 by switching to an e.on 1 year fix.

Iknow nobody can tell me best thing to do but I was wondering what are the chances of getting another 1 or 2 yr fix after the e.on one ends for around £100 saving mark? This way I'd make the same savings over 2 year, or maybe because I've never switched before I won't get a better rate so therefor the saving after yr 1 will only be around £50 mark. If that's the case then I'lll obviously be loosing out on £50.

Sorry if I've made that sound super complicated & also if I dropped in wrong thread!

Thanks!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th Sep 17, 2:42 PM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 2,715 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hi all,

Iknow nobody can tell me best thing to do but I was wondering what are the chances of getting another 1 or 2 yr fix after the e.on one ends for around £100 saving mark? This way I'd make the same savings over 2 year, or maybe because I've never switched before I won't get a better rate so therefor the saving after yr 1 will only be around £50 mark. If that's the case then I'lll obviously be loosing out on £50.

Sorry if I've made that sound super complicated & also if I dropped in wrong thread!

Thanks!
    Originally posted by eggheadnappa
    You will make savings by switching away from any standard variable tariff. Sadly, that is where the savings end (unless energy prices fall which, in my opinion, is unlikely). As far as the Ovo 2 year deal is concerned, MSE has posted that it ends tomorrow.
    • eggheadnappa
    • By eggheadnappa 14th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eggheadnappa
    Thanks Hengus,

Yes want to get it sorted before Ovo deal ends tomorrow!

So really there's not much chance of me saving again once I move from my current standard rate...looks like ovo will be the best for my circumstances.

Thanks again!
    • poorbabe
    • By poorbabe 14th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    poorbabe
    I've just initiated a switch from BG to Ebico. I'm a member of the energy club but the estimates shown was way over the actual figures and I couldn't work out how to change it. Never mind. My current DD is £27 per month but my fixed deal ends on 15 September and BG calculate my DD payment would increase to £49 per month.

No thanks. Ebico, who I was on prior to last year's move to BG, is £33 per month. I can live with this. I just hope the transfer is a smooth one.
    Back on the debt-free trail using challenges to help me achieve my goal.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 13th Oct 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    nic_c
    Iíve found a great deal with Bulb which will make you £75, blah blah blah blah blah

This forum wonít let me post the link though. Any ideas how to share it?
    Originally posted by kezrobdeals
    What, do you mean it won't let you post your referral link shock, oh no!!!!

I look dubious on anyone who simply signs up to give a glowing report because they want to post a referral link. There is a referrals board section should you want to do that, but you'll join the several dozen other people who think bulb is brilliant so long as you use their referral link.

Oh, and you can't post a link straight away BECAUSE THIS IS YOUR FIRST POST and its there simply to stop people joining to post a referral link.

Maybe you have joined to do more than just spam, if so welcome, but please don't just start putting posts up to be able to plug referral links. Any referral links outside the correct board will be deleted anyway.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 13th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 4,667 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Iíve found a great deal with Bulb . . .
    Originally posted by kezrobdeals
    Your motives are not clear from your post, and I don't subscribe to the concept of switching without knowing the details of anything I might sign up to but if you want to advertise this deal then there is a proper place for it in the <Referrers> board.

If your post is not deleted as spam then it may be moved, anyway, to the aforementioned board.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,603Posts Today

9,975Users online

Martin's Twitter