Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th Nov 07, 4:50 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Gas & Electricity: Find the cheapest supplier and earn up to £30 cashback
    • 26th Nov 07, 4:50 PM
    Gas & Electricity: Find the cheapest supplier and earn up to £30 cashback 26th Nov 07 at 4:50 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 7:43 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 177
    • losdemas2000
    • By losdemas2000 26th Feb 17, 12:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    losdemas2000
    Utilita Prepay
    I assume you advised CEC that you had a pre-payment meter and it produced compatible tariffs.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    YES!

Enter your details again but change the meter type to the standard credit meter.
    (or tick "No" if asked whether you have a pre-payment meter).
    Aah, thank you! Sorry for the delay in replying: don't have i-net at the new place, yet!

I think you may have to ask your current supplier at your new address to change the meters - you may be charged for this - and then you will be able to switch to standard credit-meter tariffs.
    So you're saying that I have to change the meter with the current supplier FIRST, before proceeding? Meanwhile, I can jiggle the MSE Energy Club results by entering predicted use with a regular meter, just to give me an idea?

Thanks again.
    • losdemas2000
    • By losdemas2000 26th Feb 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    losdemas2000
    Utilita Prepay
    Hi Losdemas2000

Just to add to the comment above on this, you can't switch from prepayment to credit meters via Cheap Energy Club.

No problem with you using the site to work out where you'd like to switch to, but we can't organise this for you - you'd first need to get the meters swapped out. For more on this, do take a look at this link. (Link removed)
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L
    Thanks, Dan. Sorry for the delay in replying: no i-net at our new house, yet.

So it looks like I'm going to miss out big time - not being able to change pre price rises - as I have to get the meter changed FIRST with Utilita, then do a price comparison and find the best deal?

Hold on! Just looked at their website: I'll have to give them a call, as it looks as though they only do prepay services - they may not have the standard meters!!!
    • wolfysmith
    • By wolfysmith 27th Feb 17, 7:38 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    wolfysmith
    I switched and got £30 in my bank account 7 days after switch.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 1st Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    shaggy
    Hi all. Despite none of the big suppliers coming in top on my cheap energy club savings list, I'm tempted to opt towards scottish power, who will work out about £50 dearer than the cheapest of these smaller companies like Iresa, even with SP £30 cashback.

Questions:

Scottish Power seem to have two tarriffs:
    Online Fixed Saver March 2018 v5
    and
    Online Fixed Saver March 2018 v4

The v5 has a MUCh higher standing charge , but seems to be about £10 cheaper on the comparison, where I used my annual KWH figures not a 'rough' cost per year. Im a bit baffled which a tarriff with much higher standing charge would work out cheapest, even though the unit cost for gas/elec is only 2-3 different than the v4 of the tarriff.

Anyone care to elaborate before I sign up?
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 1st Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 2,998 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    footyguy
    Hi all. Despite none of the big suppliers coming in top on my cheap energy club savings list, I'm tempted to opt towards scottish power, who will work out about £50 dearer than the cheapest of these smaller companies like Iresa, even with SP £30 cashback.

Questions:

Scottish Power seem to have two tarriffs:
    Online Fixed Saver March 2018 v5
    and
    Online Fixed Saver March 2018 v4

The v5 has a MUCh higher standing charge , but seems to be about £10 cheaper on the comparison, where I used my annual KWH figures not a 'rough' cost per year. Im a bit baffled which a tarriff with much higher standing charge would work out cheapest, even though the unit cost for gas/elec is only 2-3 different than the v4 of the tarriff.

Anyone care to elaborate before I sign up?
    Originally posted by shaggy
    So are you saying v4 has a lower standing charge but higher unit rates compared to v5?

If so, v4 will favour lower users where the daily standing charge will have a greater affect, whereas v5 will favour the higher users who benefit from the lower unit rate charge.

The compariosn site calculates which is best for you, particularly when you have used your anticipated annual consumption in kWh
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 1st Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    shaggy
    So are you saying v4 has a lower standing charge but higher unit rates compared to v5?

If so, v4 will favour lower users where the daily standing charge will have a greater affect, whereas v5 will favour the higher users who benefit from the lower unit rate charge.

The compariosn site calculates which is best for you, particularly when you have used your anticipated annual consumption in kWh
    Originally posted by footyguy

Here's only 2-3p unit charge difference between the two tariffs where as the daily standing charge is almost twice as much on the 'cheaper' tariff. I'll copy and paste the figures here later as the calculations look a bit baffling to me
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 1st Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 2,998 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    footyguy
    Here's only 2-3p unit charge difference between the two tariffs where as the daily standing charge is almost twice as much on the 'cheaper' tariff. I'll copy and paste the figures here later as the calculations look a bit baffling to me
    Remember, you only pay 1 x daily standing charge per day (obvs) per fuel

You use multiple units per day.

If you post the tariff figures, then someone will probably calculate the break even usage point. i.e the usage where both tariffs will cost you an identical amount.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 1st Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 4,540 Posts
    • 2,242 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Or, to put it another way - you'll pay only 365 daily charges (per fuel) in a full year but you are likely to pay several thousand unit charges over the year. A small change in unit charges has a much greater effect on total cost than a similar change in daily charges.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 1st Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    shaggy
    Or, to put it another way - you'll pay only 365 daily charges (per fuel) in a full year but you are likely to pay several thousand unit charges over the year. A small change in unit charges has a much greater effect on total cost than a similar change in daily charges.
    thanks for the explanation. I'll trust the energy saving club calculations and go with that.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 5th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    • 4,540 Posts
    • 2,242 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Use this link to get £50 credit at the start. . .
    Originally posted by andy699
    And, of course, andy699 also gets £50 for each new customer who uses the above link to switch.
    • LyndaS
    • By LyndaS 5th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    LyndaS
    And, of course, andy699 also gets £50 for each new customer who uses the above link to switch.
    An energy supplier that attempts to sell it's over-priced products by encouraging/paying those already suckered in to sell to the same over-priced product to more unsuspecting mugs...?

I think we all know an established supplier that does that.

I wonder how long it'll take before they add telephone, broadband etc to their range of over-priced products like the existing supplier already has?

And more importantly, how long before MSE takes action and restricts posts regarding this particular supplier to one dedicated thread, like they have done for years with the other supplier who operates similar controversial sales methods?
    Last edited by LyndaS; 05-03-2017 at 6:44 PM.
    • Elle1234
    • By Elle1234 8th Mar 17, 5:43 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elle1234
    First Utility Ending 30 April 2017 - Switch now?
    Hi All,
    Wondering if anyone can clear something up for me. My tariff with First Utility...
    First Fixed April 2017 v3 Direct Debit

...ends 30th Apr 2017. I have done the energy club price check and it tells me it's the cheapest deal for me right now. But we know that energy firms are hiking up prices now. So should I switch before my deals ends 30 April? Obviously I've got a cheap deal now but I'm worried prices will skyrocket before 30 April and I'll be paying too much if I wait to switch before then. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 8th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 2,998 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    footyguy
    Hi All,
    Wondering if anyone can clear something up for me. My tariff with First Utility...
    First Fixed April 2017 v3 Direct Debit

...ends 30th Apr 2017. I have done the energy club price check and it tells me it's the cheapest deal for me right now. But we know that energy firms are hiking up prices now. So should I switch before my deals ends 30 April? Obviously I've got a cheap deal now but I'm worried prices will skyrocket before 30 April and I'll be paying too much if I wait to switch before then. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by Elle1234
    Up to you.
    Are there any early exit fees to consider? If so, you might be best to wait until the switching window opens in a few days time.
    If not, grab the deal now if you are happy with it.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 8th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 4,540 Posts
    • 2,242 Thanks
    Consumerist
    According to my calculations, your switching window should open on 12th March (49 days before the end of contract) and your current supplier should notify you by 19th March although you are not required to wait for the notification.

The safest thing to do, to avoid exit fees, is to wait until 12th March before applying to switch to another supplier - but if you want to take a chance you could apply now and rely on the 14-day cooling-off period before the new supplier notifies your old supplier of your intention to switch; by which time you will be within the switching window. You should check with the new supplier about their cooling-off period before going down this route.
    • trevjl
    • By trevjl 9th Mar 17, 11:51 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    trevjl
    update
    I asked back in early feb if anyone had switched to Engie as they had a 2+ year fix at a reasonable price.
    I had no feedback, so I went ahead and just thought I would give my own feedback.
    The switch took about 2 weeks and was completely seamless, had to make one phone call as online registration was playing up but phone answered immediately by someone I could understand and obviously based in the UK, problem sorted in less than a minute. email update telling switch date and 10 day window for final readings, switch made, readings sent. So far 5*
    • Jenny Brandon
    • By Jenny Brandon 10th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jenny Brandon
    Avro
    I just signed up to Avro and they have taken money before I have switched this doesnt seem right to me. Im paying their bill before they have started supplying surely that is illegal.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 10th Mar 17, 9:36 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    I just signed up to Avro and they have taken money before I have switched this doesnt seem right to me. Im paying their bill before they have started supplying surely that is illegal.
    Originally posted by Jenny Brandon
    It will be in the terms & conditions when you signed up. Quite a few of the new companies now charge up front before the supply starts. It just puts you in credit, ready for the first bill to arrive once you have been with them for a month (or two).

Iresa do the same, but also pay a small amount of interest on the credit balance.

We found that most of the bigger companies set the DD higher than required so that you are in credit most of the time; so no real difference really.
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kw, W roof, 30į pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    + Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Mar 17, 5:19 PM
    • 2,998 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    footyguy
    Originally posted by Jenny Brandon
    Welcome to MSE

9.3.2 The Direct Debit will be taken 21 days after initial sign up and monthly thereafter.
    https://www.avroenergy.co.uk/Terms.aspx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,584Users online

Martin's Twitter