Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Loans > Can I Get a Small Loan if I'm on DLA? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can I Get a Small Loan if I'm on DLA?
Closed Thread
Views: 19,033
# 1
Elric
Old 22-11-2007, 1:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can I Get a Small Loan if I'm on DLA?

Hi

Me and the wife receive a total of 22,798 in benefits, which is comparable with an average UK wage.

I wondered if anyone knew of any companies who lend money to people on benefits, the ones I've checked out require you to be working.

I'm looking for a loan of 500-1000. The benefits we receive include: DLA, Carers, IS, Child Tax, Child Benefit, Housing Benefit.

You help is appreciated.
# 2
2ndBounce
Old 22-11-2007, 5:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default 15 mins apparently!

Lombard Direct loan to those on DLA - says so in their T & Cs:

http://loans.lombard-direct-services...n-information/
# 3
plattinum
Old 22-11-2007, 6:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If your receiving benefits, you should try the social fund for a loan. You pay back a pre arranged ammount each week and it's intrest free, worth calling up for a form.
# 4
colin13
Old 10-03-2008, 8:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

DLA is consisdered a garanteed income so a lot of companies will give u a loan based on this but as advice further up said get a loan from the social fund intrest free and they just take it from ur benefits at a pree arranged amount,,IMO this is the better way to go
# 5
worried jim
Old 09-03-2009, 6:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

yes. just go to a bank and apply for one.
# 6
epsilondraconis
Old 09-03-2009, 6:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Elric, check out http://www.entitledto.co.uk/.

Last edited by epsilondraconis; 09-03-2009 at 11:04 PM.
# 7
I know my ABC and my CMYK
Old 10-03-2009, 2:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elric View Post
Hi

Me and the wife receive a total of 22,798 in benefits, which is comparable with an average UK wage.

I wondered if anyone knew of any companies who lend money to people on benefits, the ones I've checked out require you to be working.

I'm looking for a loan of 500-1000. The benefits we receive include: DLA, Carers, IS, Child Tax, Child Benefit, Housing Benefit.

You help is appreciated.
Yes, you will be able to get a loan but before you do consider whether or not you really need it. 22k sounds a lot but split down monthly can you afford to pay back a loan?
# 8
4littleone
Old 10-03-2009, 10:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Have you considered a credit union? Much better option than a commercial type loan if you are just looking for a small loan and have a low income.

There is a very good article on here about them, i am rubbish at links but if you do a search under credit union it will come up.

By the way, 22k in benefitsis not high, you have to consider that the family are receiving Disability Living Allowance. The costs of being disabled are massive and even DLA will not cover all of a disabled persons needs. For example, respite care is hugely expensive, as is equipment such as lifting hoists for help with bathing, getting out of bed and so on.
Some familes will have to have a car because of mobility issues, it all adds up. In real terms, a family who is receiving 22k a yr in benefits because one or more in that family are disabled will actually be living on a very small amount of money.
Total debt at LB Moment (Nov 2007) = 6583 4649 20.03.09
5060 Black horse Loan - 4114 as of 20.03.09
940 o/d with hsbc - -535 as of 20.03.09
The Following User Says Thank You to 4littleone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
just married
Old 01-09-2009, 4:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'm not sure if people are aware that if your on DLA, you still have to pay rent, Council tax and you get No Help with your fee's like Dr's Dentis or glasses. Everyone i know thats on Job seekers, get all that paid and could work, just they dont want to work, but i want to work but can't due to my illnesses. I too cant get a loan even if i want to due to some banks changing there policy to N DLA got to be in Full time work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elric View Post
Hi

You help is appreciated.
Closed Thread