Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
  • rekd
    I dont recommend using ICICI
    I opened an account with ICICI and their service is appalling. I tried to change details of my account with them via email and they said I had to call their call centre. So I called them and the person I spoke to had a terrible understanding of English and told me to email them - at the address that had said that I had to phone.

So I emailed again, several times, and just kept getting a standard 'scripted' reply back that didn't answer my question.

After about 10 emails I gave up and told them I wanted to close my account and wanted my money back.

That was 2 weeks ago and I've still not seen my money, or had a reply from them.

They may have a great interest rate, but in the experience I had with them, that's the only good thing about this company.
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 5th Dec 07, 12:33 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    murphydavid
    Martins Bradford and Bingley warning had me going for a while but as far as I can tell I'm still getting 6.4% from their internet saver account (no longer available) so mine was not cut.
  • isasmurf
    If you don't look at the article too regualrly, just to inform you that the following has been posted at the top of the article by Martin

STOP PRESS! Rate Drop Leveller active: On 6 Dec, Bank of England cut UK base rate to 5.5%
    After such a fall, it usually takes the savings account market up to a month to stabilise. This article will be updated as regularly as possible, and any rate announcements for products (or whether it’s changed) will be included in a small graphic after the product. Yet for the time being you should double check rates yourself before applying, or wait until the market has stabilised – I’ll let you know in my Weekly Money Tip.
  • hamandeggs
    Icici
    EdInvestor asked if anyone had knowledge of opening an account with ICICI.

I've tried. Sent verified copies of Utility Bill plus driving licence. Verified by my neighbour who is an accountant. They now want me to take these documents to one of their branches , the nearest of which is 75 miles away.

Over and out as I have just told them. Opened an IceSave account the same day and smooth as that.

ICICI? Don't bother. Others pay marginally less.

All I wanted to do was deposit my pension lump sum of £22500. Hardly Al Qaeda funds!!
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 10th Dec 07, 7:55 AM
    • 539 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    murphydavid
    ICICI Recently became members of the UK Banking code of practice. Don't let them get away with shoddy workmanship. Report what happened to the UK Banking code of practice board.
  • allean01
    Business Savings Account
    Hi

I have a small business, and as I only pay myself a small salary, I have some savings - which will pay "sick-pay" and redundancy if necessary.

Can anyone suggest a high interest business savings account please.
  • ojock
    ICICI - great saving, but...
    ...you probably won't want to mess with them if you're borrowing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICICI_Bank#Controversy
  • leoleo73
    Bank of England offering 6.49%
    The Bank of England are offering 6.49% variable with instant access on its Tracker Online account through its Northern Rock brand/subsiduary. As far as I know this is the best instant access rate currently available and of course your money is fully guaranteed.

http://www.northernrock.co.uk/savings/online-savings/

You will probably want to switch accounts after a year because the rate includes a bonus that expires after a year, but the same applies to pretty much any account. The terms of the tracking are ambiguous, but is unlikely to be worth much in the current environment. It is probably worth noting that the 100% guarantee from the Bank of England is likely to be lost at some point through the year, but they'll be plenty of notice if this concerns you.

Also, Halifax are offering 7.05% fixed for 3 months: http://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/fixedwebsaver.asp
  • ragdoll
    Will shortly need to put the equity from house sale into an account, am thinking of the AA account but as it is a single applicant account could both my dh and I both open accounts?
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • rachel-285
    Savings Account Payment From 3rd Party
    I want to open a savings account, and have a payment made to me by a 3rd party, but I am having problems finding one that will take payments from 3rd parties: only accepting payments from linked current accounts. Is what I am expecting impossible?
    • Aegis
    • By Aegis 2nd Jan 08, 7:26 PM
    • 4,742 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    Aegis
    Why not have the third party pay in to a current account for you and then transfer the money from there to a savings account?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
    • tightasabulls
    • By tightasabulls 7th Jan 08, 10:40 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    tightasabulls
    Saver
    ICICI were terrible for me,

Two long months of trying to open the account,

I dont think these people need by 10k as someone else will,

I DITO what someone else said earlier, other may pay less but it is actually more!!

ICICI = NO

????? = YES
  • Struggling learner
    With info from Martin's savings article late Sept I opened an internet saver account with Bradford and Bingly at 6.4%. This rate stayed up when other accounts dropped and when I saw the recent posting I thought they must be opening up the account for new investers. Not so. My account dropped to 6.15% at the end of Dec, the bank will not transfer my funds, I have to apply online for the new one, take out the funds from my old one and deposit it in the new one when it is open. Do you have to keep checking interest rates? It is not easy to find out what interest your account is getting with so many names. This one certainly looks like a trick to me.
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 9th Jan 08, 12:29 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    murphydavid
    With info from Martin's savings article late Sept I opened an internet saver account with Bradford and Bingly at 6.4%. This rate stayed up when other accounts dropped and when I saw the recent posting I thought they must be opening up the account for new investers. Not so. My account dropped to 6.15% at the end of Dec, the bank will not transfer my funds, I have to apply online for the new one, take out the funds from my old one and deposit it in the new one when it is open. Do you have to keep checking interest rates? It is not easy to find out what interest your account is getting with so many names. This one certainly looks like a trick to me.
    Originally posted by Struggling learner
    Same for me. On seeing your reply I just applied for the new one. They all have their tricks. I always think that thoes who get caught pay for thoes who don't. I expect to make at least 2 new applications a year. ICICI are the only one I have seen that have had a consistent best interest rate but unfortunately I'm one of those who can't seem to get myself set up with them. I think I will give it another try.
    After the government stepped in with Nothern Rock I wonder if they would do the same for foriegn owned companies like ICICI or Icesave?
  • neilp
    I was wondering why this article does not mention the FirstSave account (First National Bank of Nigeria). This pays 6.5%, which in theory is market leading (especially given that it is not an introductory rate). Is there something wrong with this account, or some kind of catch I haven't noticed?

Incidentally, this is not a criticism, but a genuine question. I am thinking about looking at this account, but want to be sure I am making the right move before losing several days interest transferring funds from ICICI (via my current account).
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 9th Jan 08, 2:48 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    murphydavid
    I was wondering why this article does not mention the FirstSave account (First National Bank of Nigeria). This pays 6.5%, which in theory is market leading (especially given that it is not an introductory rate). Is there something wrong with this account, or some kind of catch I haven't noticed?

Incidentally, this is not a criticism, but a genuine question. I am thinking about looking at this account, but want to be sure I am making the right move before losing several days interest transferring funds from ICICI (via my current account).
    Originally posted by neilp
    Thanks for that. It's the first time I ever heard about them and looking at their web site it looks fine to me. I also would like to hear more. I checked that they are registered with the fsa and they are.
    Last edited by murphydavid; 09-01-2008 at 3:04 PM.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 9th Jan 08, 3:17 PM
    • 6,802 Posts
    • 23,208 Thanks
    Primrose
    Jazzygirl - I think wherever you put your money the issue of 100% safety protection is going to be an issue for anybody who is seriously worried about a financial institutuion crashing. You can separate it out into different savings banks, but when you come to buy another house you're eventually going to need it all welded together again in your current account for paying to a solicitor, so that too could still be a potential risk. I would think that ICICI or ICESAVE would be the best bets.
  • neilp
    I agree that the fact that FirstSave is FSA regulated and subscribes to the Banking Code means that holding deposits there is no more dangerous than any other bank. My concern is whether it is worth losing around 5 days interest while moving funds via a current account, only for FirstSave's rates no longer to be competitive. ICICI are a known quantity, frequently raise rates in response to moves from competitors, and have a market leading rate guarantee. This makes me inclined to keep my funds there. The fact that I have had a good experience of their service, and it is possible to make deposits by BACS as well as direct debit also go in their favour.

Having said that, I would welcome any feedback on FirstSave. I am also interested in what the "official" MSE.com view of this account is.
  • hanzi
    hi i just want a little help im saving to go traveling in feb 09 and iv got £3000 in a isa with natwest and im also saving £500 a month in a reserve account with them. could some1 tell me where to put my money to get a better rate?? any help would be great thanx hanna
  • neilp
    Hanzi, your best bet is probably a regular savings account. Skipton Building Society has a very good account, which allows you to deposit up to £250 per month, for 1 year, at 7.55%. You can have up to three of these accounts, so there is nothing to stop you opening two (£250 per month in each). Alternatively, Yorkshire Building Society pays a slightly lower rate, but allows you to save up to £500 per month. The main downside with both is that withdrawals are somewhat tricky. If that is an issue, your best bet is an instant access account (see the article on this site for more info).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,358Posts Today

7,204Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ill be going in to Call You & Yours on @BBCRadio4 at 12:15 to discuss debt & mental health (and feverishly writing my weekly email too)

• Leicester win the DOUBLE... the Premier League and the World Snooker Championship. Everyone's a fox tonight!

• You do wonder if anyone has told Mark Selby yet... (the jester from leicester)

• Follow Martin