Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 174
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 1st Dec 17, 1:06 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    polymaff
    Not just for new accounts...
    "If you have applied for a Internet Saver account between the 6th October 2017 and 1st December 2017, you will automatically receive the rates shown in the table effective from the 1st December 2017".
    Originally posted by clivep
    Huh, a bird in the bush! Applied 8th November. Still waiting.
    • claire07
    • By claire07 1st Dec 17, 1:06 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    claire07
    As I'm still waiting for them to get the one I opened at the beginning of November up and running I might be better off opening the latest one.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 1st Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 6,097 Thanks
    EachPenny
    So much for the hype of 1.35% if opened after 1st December!!!
    As far as I know, Tesco never said they would offer a rate of 1.35% for accounts opened after 1st December - the 'hype' was from MSE members who were speculating this might be the case, whilst other forum members were making the point the 1.35% should be achievable on accounts opened before 1st December.

As a variable rate account with a fixed rate bonus it is best never to take anything for granted
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • clivep
    • By clivep 1st Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    clivep
    Huh, a bird in the bush! Applied 8th November. Still waiting.
    Originally posted by polymaff
    ... any day now.

Seems to normally take about 3 weeks minimum.

I just applied for another account as I hadn't spotted the bit about the new rate applying to existing accounts. As an existing customer opening another a/c was easy as it completed most of the detail and was set up online in a few minutes with no need for a cheque and the initial £1 deposit will be taken by DD from the linked account. This being the case I could probably have set up my linked account as one without a chequebook rather than changing this later.

Interestingly, the previous account opened on 3rd November was no longer showing online. Maybe this is due to having just changed the linked account and it won't appear again until this is set up???
    • 10_66
    • By 10_66 1st Dec 17, 2:01 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 973 Thanks
    10_66
    ... I just applied for another account as I hadn't spotted the bit about the new rate applying to existing accounts...

...Interestingly, the previous account opened on 3rd November was no longer showing online. Maybe this is due to having just changed the linked account and it won't appear again until this is set up???
    Do BM allow you to hold more than one Internet Saver? I've had a look on their website and can't find any reference to whether or not it's possible. I vaguely remember I read somewhere on here that they only permit one account, but then my memory isn't what it used to be!
    • dekkard
    • By dekkard 1st Dec 17, 3:24 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    dekkard
    As I'm still waiting for them to get the one I opened at the beginning of November up and running I might be better off opening the latest one.
    Originally posted by claire07
    Given BM's past problems with opening accounts in a reasonable amount of time, I'm surprised they're offering this rate.

They'll be inundated; will they be able to cope with the demand?
    • Member42
    • By Member42 1st Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Member42
    I don't think BM can cope
    1. New account experience - for others' reference.
    My application (24 October, for the 1.3%) was acknowledged with their first bunch of paper dated 24 Oct. received 1 Nov.
    Second bits (linked account) dated 25 Oct. received 2 Nov.
    Cheque, etc posted 3 Nov. Acknowledged (with advice of user name) dated 7 Nov,
    Activation code received by email 7 Nov. (While I was away!) Set up 22 Nov.

2. BEWARE
    Acceptable password is very primitive; alpha/numeric characters only.
    Security questions; not sure if they accept spaces in answers ... but
    I've just failed to log in to the account and managed to get locked out.

Their help number is busy!! I've just spent 30 minutes hanging on the line - then I abandoned.
    Not sure if there's any other way to contact these people (Twitter might get their attention!) so I'm locked out, in the cold, until someone answers the call that I don't have time to hang around waiting for!

Frustrating!!
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 1st Dec 17, 3:58 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    For anyone happy to limit withdrawals to 2 a year, Virgin have increased their Double Take account to 1.36%.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 1st Dec 17, 4:03 PM
    • 3,143 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Security questions; not sure if they accept spaces in answers ... but I've just failed to log in to the account and managed to get locked out.
    Originally posted by Member42
    No spaces allowed in answers to security questions. Their software allows you to put spaces into your answers, then locks you out when you next log on.
    • dekkard
    • By dekkard 1st Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    dekkard
    No spaces allowed in answers to security questions. Their software allows you to put spaces into your answers, then locks you out when you next log on.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    The security-related 'memorable date' requires separating hyphens when you first enter it. Whenever you enter the memorable date at login, no hyphens allowed.

Their security process is inconsistent and badly designed.
    • claire07
    • By claire07 1st Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    claire07
    As it's 30 days since I opened the account and was given an account number (still waiting for all the rest as they have lost both of my opening cheques down some black hole) I got worried there might be some rule about funding the account within a certain time. I also gave up after hanging on the phone for half an hour today.

I must be a sucker for punishment as I've opened a new one online and hope I might be luckier with this and perhaps it may be open before 2018.

Many thanks for all the warnings about security information - at present I dream of getting that far!
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 1st Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    soulsaver
    While we're on the subject of BM security information, it tells you to set up a 10 digit password. If you use your usual and it's 11 and you don't notice, it will accept only the first 10, but won't tell you that it didn't accept digit 11.

So, you think you're using your usual... but if you key in your usual 11 for access, it rejects you, even though you've got the first 10 digits right.

See.. clever or what...not?
    Last edited by soulsaver; 01-12-2017 at 4:57 PM.
    • Member42
    • By Member42 1st Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Member42
    BM log in claification
    Thanks to those who posted the advice / knowledge. (I'll hit helpful flags shortly.)
    There is little satisfaction in knowing that I'm not alone but can confirm that BM have got the message about their security facility from others ... and now me! (I finally made contact after 18:30.) Don't hold your breath for any changes soon, but I have been unlocked.

To summarise, you can record what you like (in alpha/numeric) but even if you put a space in your memorable "whatevers", the system does not accept them when you use them. My new memorables (reset all after a lockout) are each word only and I have yet to be asked for the date to experience that anomoly.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 2nd Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    polymaff
    From MSE Top Savings Accounts:
    " If you applied before 1 Dec, Tesco has told us that your rate WILL rise to 1.35%".
    Well, I hope so, and maybe the online banking website will update at midnight, but my "applied for before 1 Dec" Internet Saver is still showing 1.2%
    Originally posted by polymaff
    And so it came to pass ... 1.35%
    • neverbrokensarah
    • By neverbrokensarah 5th Dec 17, 11:24 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    neverbrokensarah
    For anyone happy to limit withdrawals to 2 a year, Virgin have increased their Double Take account to 1.36%.
    Originally posted by AirlieBird
    I've just noticed this via their website before logging in. I opened a issue 1 at the end of October as I'm holding some money awaiting a payout. Not much difference but still worth moving to the higher amount. Love how they say they'll let you know if the rate drops but not if a new account with a higher rate comes in to play!
    • Arthurian
    • By Arthurian 6th Dec 17, 8:27 AM
    • 627 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    Arthurian
    Re the new Birmingham Midshires 1.45% internet saver account - should I worry that when filling in the application form, the website shown on the address bar at the top of the screen is not birminghammidshires.co.uk, but esavingsaccount.co.uk?
    Last edited by Arthurian; 06-12-2017 at 8:46 AM.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 3,143 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Re the new Birmingham Midshires 1.45% internet saver account - should I worry that when filling in the application form, the website shown on the address bar at the top of the screen is not birminghammidshires.co.uk, but esavingsaccount.co.uk?
    Originally posted by Arthurian
    Very observant of you! I hadn't spotted that. But if you go via the BM website to log on as an existing customer, that's where you are redirected to.

It's an https address, so it should be safe, but I can understand your concern.

Would be worth a call to BM to see what they say about it.

PS - emails from BM also come from this domain, so it is legit. BM should make it clear before they redirect you that this is their site.
    Last edited by Nick_C; 06-12-2017 at 9:01 AM.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 6th Dec 17, 12:22 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    For further confirmation of the above the domain is owned by Lloyds Bank
    https://www.nominet.uk/whois/?query=Esavingsaccount.Co.Uk#whois-results
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 6th Dec 17, 3:28 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eschaton
    I applied on 8th November for a Birmingham Midshires Internet Saver at 1.3% and it took that long to open that's its now 1.45%.

Nice bonus but it took from 8th November until last night to eventually get internet access to the account. I returned what they asked me to plus deposit cheque within 24hrs of receiving the documents. What an antiquated and slow way of working.

I did a test payment (in) last night for £1 but it didn't show up right away so I did a direct debit deposit for £2999. Wish I hadn't as the FP showed up this morning and the direct debit won't move until 8th at the earliest.

If you want to move money in quickly then always use the FP option.
    • Cannyscot
    • By Cannyscot 7th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cannyscot
    Santander 123 or BM 1.45% Easy Access
    My husband and I currently have 3 Santander 123 accounts between us and only make less than £9 in cashback as we have no mortgage .We pay tax at 20%. What I wondered is are we better keeping the three 123's or just the one and moving the £40,000 to BM where I wont be paying the £5 x 2 charge every month? There has been no indication of Santander raising rates on this account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

712Posts Today

4,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin