Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 173
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 27th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Many thanks for clearing that up for me. As I said earlier, figures are not my ‘forte’.
    Originally posted by The Big Bamboo
    In which case also give the NatWest Savings Builder account a very wide berth
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • puttee
    • By puttee 27th Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    puttee
    Do I understand correctly that on the 1st December or shortly thereafter the changes in savings rates offered after taking into account the BoE recent rate increase will have been announced by the various banks, building societies etc. As well as new interest rate offerings launched, if any, I guess?

I'm taking stock of my situation. So far I've been doing a lot of saving accounts and trying to transfer to get the best rates considering my risk averseness with savings. I've been thinking for some time that it may be the time to look into investing part of the money. I read Smart Investing by Hale some time ago as was recommended by someone. I'm not dim but I did find it a bit intimidating. I plan on re-reading it with more focus shortly. Is there anything a bit simpler that that I can read in preparation?
    • dekkard
    • By dekkard 27th Nov 17, 10:21 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    dekkard
    Do I understand correctly that on the 1st December or shortly thereafter the changes in savings rates offered after taking into account the BoE recent rate increase will have been announced by the various banks, building societies etc. As well as new interest rate offerings launched, if any, I guess?
    Originally posted by puttee
    Around 1st December does seem to be the date that some banks are increasing their rates. Perhaps one of the challenger banks will offer a rate slightly higher than Tesco's 1.35% after that date but who knows...
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 27th Nov 17, 10:49 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 2,984 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    I read Smart Investing by Hale some time ago as was recommended by someone. I'm not dim but I did find it a bit intimidating. I plan on re-reading it with more focus shortly. Is there anything a bit simpler that that I can read in preparation?
    Originally posted by puttee
    The Monevator financial blog is a good starting point to understand investing. Unfortunately, it's a blog, so the articles are in a somewhat random order, but there are various indexes and menus to help.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • fryedslyce
    • By fryedslyce 28th Nov 17, 1:47 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    fryedslyce
    Around 1st December does seem to be the date that some banks are increasing their rates. Perhaps one of the challenger banks will offer a rate slightly higher than Tesco's 1.35% after that date but who knows...
    Originally posted by dekkard
    Paragon will go to 1.40% on 01/12/17
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 28th Nov 17, 5:21 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    Originally posted by fryedslyce
    Where did you hear this? I've not seen anything from Paragon about an increase in rates. Will this be a new account or the recent 1.31% account they were offering, that was withdrawn from sale yesterday?
    • caveman38
    • By caveman38 28th Nov 17, 5:42 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    caveman38

Currently showing a cut to 0.5% and as AB says - the Limited Edition is closed.
    Last edited by caveman38; 28-11-2017 at 6:18 AM.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 28th Nov 17, 8:27 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    18cc
    There is some talk about banks (such as RCI) who hold an EU licence and the 100,000 Euros protection - the protection will still be there but they are investigating changing the rules so that the bank will be allowed to wait up to several months before paying out if they go bust and just pay out enough to cover 'living expenses' in the short term.

For UK banks the timescale is 7 days. Something to be aware of when saving with eg RCI.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 28th Nov 17, 9:07 AM
    • 981 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    Uxb
    Indeed, you are correct. A discussion paper from the ECB published a week or so ago quietly suggested watering down the strict Euro 100000 guarantee in the event that a bank looks wobbly.
    They really have lost their marbles on this one as should this be implemented the first reaction of anyone the very first instance a bank looks suspect would be to panic first thereby precipitating the event they are trying to avoid - just like Northern Rock in fact.

Sigh - just another reason to get out of the union.
    • puttee
    • By puttee 28th Nov 17, 2:35 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    puttee
    The Monevator financial blog is a good starting point to understand investing. Unfortunately, it's a blog, so the articles are in a somewhat random order, but there are various indexes and menus to help.
    Originally posted by Eco Miser
    Thanks Eco Miser. I will have a look through that and do a bit of read. Hopefully I will begin to get a grip with the basic concepts before going to something more in-depth.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 28th Nov 17, 3:37 PM
    • 5,573 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    badger09
    Originally posted by Eco Miser
    +1 for Monevator

Be aware though that the writer is heavily biased towards passive investing.

Not a bad thing for a novice IMHO
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 28th Nov 17, 3:40 PM
    • 4,273 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Sigh - just another reason to get out of the union.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 28th Nov 17, 5:13 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    Where did you hear this? I've not seen anything from Paragon about an increase in rates. Will this be a new account or the recent 1.31% account they were offering, that was withdrawn from sale yesterday?
    Originally posted by AirlieBird
    To answer my own question, it appears Issue 2 (from July 2015) and Issue 3 (from July 2017) of the Limited Edition Easy Access Saver are increasing to 1.40%, but the recent Issue 4 remains at 1.31%. I can't see any other increase to Paragon's variable rates.
    https://www.paragonbank.co.uk/savings/historic-rates
    • clivep
    • By clivep 1st Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    clivep
    Still getting the error today. Tried without logging in and also got the error.

Telephoned and was able to open OK. Advisor said that I would need to wait until Friday to open if I wanted the higher rate! Told her this wasn't correct and read out details from http://www.tescobank.com/savings/flexible/internet-saver/index.html?cmpid=agg/acq/sv/is/Is Suggested she checked with her manager. Came back confirming that I was correct and that she had not been correctly informed.
    Originally posted by clivep
    Just as well I didn't wait as the advisor suggested.

Variable rate up 0.15% to 0.55%.
    Bonus rate down 0.15% to 0.65%.
    AER unchanged at 1.2%.

So much for the hype of 1.35% if opened after 1st December!!!

My 1.2% should be uplifted to 1.35% but currently none of my savings accounts are showing the 0.15% increase when viewed online.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 1st Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 8,817 Posts
    • 21,124 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi folks!

There's a new top easy access savings rate. Birmingham Midshires is paying 1.45%

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest#bm
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • dekkard
    • By dekkard 1st Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    dekkard
    Hi folks!

There's a new top easy access savings rate. Birmingham Midshires is paying 1.45%

Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    How long before another bank launches a 1.46% account?
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 1st Dec 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    polymaff
    Just as well I didn't wait as the advisor suggested.

Variable rate up 0.15% to 0.55%.
    Bonus rate down 0.15% to 0.65%.
    AER unchanged at 1.2%.

So much for the hype of 1.35% if opened after 1st December!!!

My 1.2% should be uplifted to 1.35% but currently none of my savings accounts are showing the 0.15% increase when viewed online.
    Mine neither - still 1.2%. I've just looked at opening a new account. Same figures as you quote - 1.2% - and rates stated as of 1st December 2017.

Huh!
    Last edited by polymaff; 01-12-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    • clivep
    • By clivep 1st Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    clivep
    Mine neither - still 1.2%. I've just looked at opening a new account. Same figures as you quote - 1.2% - and rates stated as of 1st December 2017.

Huh!
    Originally posted by polymaff
    From MSE Top Savings Accounts:
    " If you applied before 1 Dec, Tesco has told us that your rate WILL rise to 1.35%".
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 1st Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    polymaff
    From MSE Top Savings Accounts:
    " If you applied before 1 Dec, Tesco has told us that your rate WILL rise to 1.35%".
    Well, I hope so, and maybe the online banking website will update at midnight, but my "applied for before 1 Dec" Internet Saver is still showing 1.2%
    • clivep
    • By clivep 1st Dec 17, 12:43 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    clivep
    Hi folks!

Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Not just for new accounts...
    "If you have applied for a Internet Saver account between the 6th October 2017 and 1st December 2017, you will automatically receive the rates shown in the table effective from the 1st December 2017".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

948Posts Today

6,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin