Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 165
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 15th Aug 17, 12:45 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    IanManc
    I gave up with Ulster Bank. Really ludicrous opening procedure and then they wanted proof of identity with passport or driving licence, despite having all my personal details, Nat Ins. No. etc.etc. This was a joint account so I went to the nearest Natwest Bank, (part of Ulster Bank Group) to show them our passports but then they stated they had to see my wife in person, although she has an account at that branch. Enough is enough!.
    Originally posted by theloft
    I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if Ulster Bank had demanded a photocopy of your wife as well.

• dekkard
    • By dekkard 22nd Sep 17, 6:41 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    dekkard
    If anyone has an Easy Access account with the Charter Savings Bank, can you confirm whether account holders can schedule monthly withdrawals from this account to a nominated bank account, plse?
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 22nd Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 976 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    This may seem a silly answer, but have you asked Charter?
    I thank you for reading this message. Maybe you will thank me for posting it!
    • dekkard
    • By dekkard 27th Sep 17, 3:22 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    dekkard
    This may seem a silly answer, but have you asked Charter?
    Originally posted by I-LOV-MONEY
    I had asked them and they've now responded. The answer is yes.
    • picks
    • By picks 27th Sep 17, 8:28 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    picks
    Skeleton in the loft?
    I gave up with Ulster Bank. Really ludicrous opening procedure and then they wanted proof of identity with passport or driving licence, despite having all my personal details, Nat Ins. No. etc.etc. This was a joint account so I went to the nearest Natwest Bank, (part of Ulster Bank Group) to show them our passports but then they stated they had to see my wife in person, although she has an account at that branch. Enough is enough!.
    by theloft
    I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if Ulster Bank had demanded a photocopy of your wife as well.
    Originally posted by IanManc
    I opened an Ulster Bank savings account about 8 years ago. I don't live in Ulster and was not known to them before. Yet I had no problem whatever opening the savings account as well as a current account. The identity checks were carried out online. I did not need present any additional documentation nor to visit a branch. Indeed I have never at any time visited an Ulster Bank branch. I can only wonder if theloft has a skeleton hidden in their loft which was causing a problem to the bank.
    • Sunshinegirl12171
    • By Sunshinegirl12171 27th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sunshinegirl12171
    Help please. Santander are offering a regular savings account where you can save £200 per month for 12 months with an AER gross of 5% calculated daily but added annually. They say maximum interest is £64.33. That doesnít look like 5% to me or am I being stupid? Thanks
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 27th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Help please. Santander are offering a regular savings account where you can save £200 per month for 12 months with an AER gross of 5% calculated daily but added annually. They say maximum interest is £64.33. That doesnít look like 5% to me or am I being stupid? Thanks
    Originally posted by Sunshinegirl12171
    Possibly. What do you think it should be?
    There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 27th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    murphydavid
    Its correct see
    http://www.hl.co.uk/tools/calculators/regular-savings-calculator
    • Sunshinegirl12171
    • By Sunshinegirl12171 27th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sunshinegirl12171
    I get it I am being stupid as 5% of £200 is £10 I thought the gross rate would be a multiple of that over 12 months. Iíve seen the calculator now...
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 27th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    murphydavid
    I get it I am being stupid as 5% of £200 is £10 I thought the gross rate would be a multiple of that over 12 months. I’ve seen the calculator now...
    Yes its 5% a year which is about 0.4% a month so on the last £200 deposit you only get 1 months interest about 83 pence (£0.83) you only get the full 5% compounded on the first £200 deposited because thats the only amount that is actually in the account for the full 12 months.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 27th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 5,376 Posts
    • 4,608 Thanks
    badger09
    I get it I am being stupid as 5% of £200 is £10 I thought the gross rate would be a multiple of that over 12 months. Iíve seen the calculator now...
    You're not the first, and you won't be the last

Just think about it though. The last £200 you pay into the account will have been there for a month at the most. Would they really pay you a whole year's interest on that £200?
    • theloft
    • By theloft 28th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    theloft
    I opened an Ulster Bank savings account about 8 years ago. I don't live in Ulster and was not known to them before. Yet I had no problem whatever opening the savings account as well as a current account. The identity checks were carried out online. I did not need present any additional documentation nor to visit a branch. Indeed I have never at any time visited an Ulster Bank branch. I can only wonder if theloft has a skeleton hidden in their loft which was causing a problem to the bank.
    Originally posted by picks
    It just goes to show how behind the times your are! Security on bank accounts is much higher now due to money-laundering, and I have a current account with a leading UK bank, plus 3 savings accounts with building societies and similar. But the security to open an account with Ulster Bank was beyond the pale. I have now opened an Instant Savings Account on line with Charter Savings Bank, latest Best Buy Instant Access Account. There was absolutely no problem with them. For your information I do NOT have any skeletons in the loft, cupboard or elsewhere, so keep your rude thoughts to yourself in future!]
    Last edited by theloft; 28-09-2017 at 9:36 AM.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 28th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    murphydavid
    Seeing the name Charter Savings Bank reminded me that there was a suggestion I wanted to make about the MSE Top savings article.
    I would suggest that a link to the "Notice Savings Accounts" paragraph is placed in the header after the fixed savings link so it can be found without lots of careful scrolling.
    And under that paragraph heading a mention is made of the 1.6% that can be earned with a 95 day notice account. (which, although a slightly lower interest rate than the 180 day one listed is of significant interest (to me at least) being the equivalent of a 3 month fixed rate account but efectively with the added advantage that you can choose any term beyond 3 months - not clearly expressed but you know what I mean)
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 6th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MSE Karl
    Hi folks,

The Top Savings guide has been updated and the top easy-access accounts include the Post Office 1.27% AER variable (incl a 1.02% bonus for 12mths) and Kent Reliance 1.27% AER variable.

RCI Bank have launched a 1.3% AER variable easy-access account, though this does NOT have FSCS protection.

For more information on these accounts - and others - see our Top Savings guide.

Kind regards,
    MSE Karl
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 6th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    Hi folks,

The Top Savings guide has been updated and the top easy-access accounts include the Post Office 1.27% AER variable (incl a 1.02% bonus for 12mths) and Kent Reliance 1.27% AER variable.

Kind regards,
    MSE Karl
    Originally posted by MSE Karl
    Post Office Savings are no longer available to new customers.

Next stop Kent !
    • schiff
    • By schiff 6th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 17,709 Posts
    • 9,037 Thanks
    schiff
    Virgin have just announced a 1.2% ISA.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 6th Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 5,376 Posts
    • 4,608 Thanks
    badger09
    Virgin have just announced a 1.2% ISA.
    Originally posted by schiff
    Link?

I can't see it on their website
    • schiff
    • By schiff 6th Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    • 17,709 Posts
    • 9,037 Thanks
    schiff
    I had it by personal e-mail, I've got loads of Virgin RSs! As a Man City fan all my life I refuse to indulge.

"So far so good for Man Utd this season. All the signs point to them challenging for more silverware next May.

This makes it the perfect time to tell you about our new Man Utd Double Champions E-ISA.
    Great rate as standard
    When you open it, you’re already guaranteed a decent fixed rate.
    1.20%

AER1 (1.20% Tax-free2 P.A.)
    fixed for the term. No matter what.
    Find out more
    If Utd win, you win too
    The real boost comes if Man Utd do the double this season. We’ll increase the fixed rate on your ISA, bumping it up to
    3.20%

AER1 (3.20% Tax-free2 P.A.)
    which will be backdated to the date your account was opened.
    Find out more
    Plus earn United Rewards entries as you save
    Every month your ISA is open, you’ll automatically earn entries into our United Rewards draws to win amazing Man Utd prizes – match tickets, signed shirts, matchday hospitality and more.

Our new Man Utd Double Champions E-ISA. The ISA that could really pay with United success next May."
    • John Tyrrell
    • By John Tyrrell 6th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John Tyrrell
    Have a sum of money to open an account what is the best account to open & the best interest rate ?
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 6th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    Have a sum of money to open an account what is the best account to open & the best interest rate ?
    Originally posted by John Tyrrell
    Hi John

There is a lot of variables to consider !

It depends on how much you have to invest.

How quickly do you need the money? Can you leave it in for a period of time, or can you give notice of withdrawal?

Have you used your full ISA allowance for this year?

Have a look at Top Savings.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

2,788Users online

Martin's Twitter