Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 163
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 19th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 969 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY

I suppose if Pablo Picasso were alive today, he's have wanted to grab the email address: Pablo.Diego.Jose.Francisco.de.Paula.Juan.Nepomucen o.Mar!a.de.los.Remedios.Cipriano.de.la.Sant!sima.T rinidad.Ruiz.y.Picasso@gmail.com
    Fortunately for him, since this is only 132 characters, he could even extend it if someone else has already taken that address.
    Originally posted by masonic
    Except Picks has said that it is the bit after the @ which is so long. So maybe it is something like picks@themostwonderfulinternetcompan...the world.com
    I thank you for reading this message. Maybe you will thank me for posting it!
    • masonic
    • By masonic 19th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    Except Picks has said that it is the bit after the @ which is so long. So maybe it is something like picks@themostwonderfulinternetcompan...the world.com
    Originally posted by I-LOV-MONEY
    He should think himself lucky he doesn't work here:
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04120480

picks(at)thisisthecompanywiththelongestnamesofarin corporatedattheregistryofcompaniesinenglandandwale sandencompassingtheregistriesbasedinscotlan.com
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 19th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 969 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    Okay, I think we have all made the point now. Can we stop turning this into a 'longest internet names' thread
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 19th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 2,760 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    He should think himself lucky he doesn't work here:
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04120480

picks(at)thisisthecompanywiththelongestnamesofarin corporatedattheregistryofcompaniesinenglandandwale sandencompassingtheregistriesbasedinscotlan.com
    Originally posted by masonic
    You're only allowed 31 characters between dots
    picks(at)thisisthecompanywiththe.longestnamesofari ncorporated .attheregistryofcompanies.inenglandandwales .andencompassing.theregistriesbasedinscotlan.ltd.u k

Incidentally, that company name appears to have hit a limit at companies house, otherwise would have had a final 'd'.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • picks
    • By picks 19th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    picks
    You're only allowed 31 characters between dots
    Originally posted by Eco Miser
    I've not heard of that rule: who made that one up? It certainly doesn't apply to my email address which is formed as follows:
    <name>@<34characters without a dot>.uk
    Actually that is a shortened version of my original email address which used to be:
    <name>@<34characters without a dot>.co.uk
    So I've already shrunk it by 3 characters!
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 19th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 2,760 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Sorry, my mistake, wrong power of two -1; it's a maximum of 63 characters between dots. This is from RFC 883 DOMAIN NAMES - IMPLEMENTATION and SPECIFICATION, which has been superseded. It was probably made up by Jon Postel or P. Mockapetris while they were extending DARPANET into the Internet of 1983.
    Last edited by Eco Miser; 19-03-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 19th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    I've not heard of that rule: who made that one up? It certainly doesn't apply to my email address which is formed as follows:
    <name>@<34characters without a dot>.uk
    Actually that is a shortened version of my original email address which used to be:
    <name>@<34characters without a dot>.co.uk
    So I've already shrunk it by 3 characters!
    Originally posted by picks
    You could try something like picks@gmail.com and then have it autoforwarded to your real e-mail address.
    • picks
    • By picks 19th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    picks
    The Nottingham BS eSaver i6 is no longer available
    Originally posted by Jo Blogs
    It's been replaced by eSaver Instant Issue 7, interest rate 1.05% for a balance of £1,000+. Given that interest rates are appalling at the moment, for instant access it's the best of a bad bunch currently beaten only by RCI at 1.10% for £100+.
    Last edited by picks; 19-03-2017 at 1:36 PM. Reason: missing word
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 13th Apr 17, 6:58 PM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 1,265 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    It's been replaced by eSaver Instant Issue 7, interest rate 1.05% for a balance of £1,000+. Given that interest rates are appalling at the moment, for instant access it's the best of a bad bunch currently beaten only by RCI at 1.10% for £100+.
    Issue 7 now seems to have gone too.
    • ctdctd
    • By ctdctd 13th Apr 17, 7:14 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    ctdctd
    Issue 7 now seems to have gone too.
    Originally posted by veryintrigued
    I tried to apply for it last week. However, despite being an existing Nottingham customer and living at the same address for 20+ years, I failed the ID check

Maybe they pulled it as no one was able to get it!
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
    • picks
    • By picks 14th Apr 17, 2:50 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    picks
    I tried to apply for it last week. However, despite being an existing Nottingham customer and living at the same address for 20+ years, I failed the ID check
    Originally posted by ctdctd
    Nottingham BS are very fussy about ID checks - maybe your signature has changed slightly?
    Maybe they pulled it as no one was able to get it!
    Yes, it's gone, see: https://www.thenottingham.com/savings/our-savings-accounts/online-accounts/

If you are prepared to limit yourself to no more than 4 withdrawals/year, you can now Co-opt the Britannia Select Access Saver: http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/savings/select-access
    Last edited by picks; 14-04-2017 at 3:09 PM. Reason: Clarification
    • ctdctd
    • By ctdctd 14th Apr 17, 4:47 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    ctdctd
    Nottingham BS are very fussy about ID checks - maybe your signature has changed slightly?
    Online application - all they got was my name, address, date of birth and NI number.
    Odd as all other online accounts are fine - I did query it with them but the only option was to send documents in the post - how very last century!
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
    • picks
    • By picks 14th Apr 17, 6:37 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    picks
    Odd as all other online accounts are fine - I did query it with them but the only option was to send documents in the post - how very last century!
    Originally posted by ctdctd
    Precisely as I said: they're about the fussiest for ID checks of all the financial institutions I've ever dealt with. They demand all ID information to be sent on paper after completing forms and attaching various original documents. If you don't want to send originals, copies need to be formally certified. Everything must be sent to them by by snailmail.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 18th Apr 17, 12:36 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I managed to open an Issue 7 a couple of weeks ago despite being a fairly new Notts customer.

The only issue I had was the system demanding I sent £1000 as my first deposit by faster payment.

I don't like sending large amounts in a brand-new faster payment, just in case there is a typo in the details. Normally I do £10 and check it has arrived before sending the rest. The Notts computer system seems oblivious of the security issues in setting up and making a new faster payment.
    • picks
    • By picks 18th Apr 17, 1:31 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    picks
    I managed to open an Issue 7 a couple of weeks ago despite being a fairly new Notts customer.

The only issue I had was the system demanding I sent £1000 as my first deposit by faster payment.

I don't like sending large amounts in a brand-new faster payment, just in case there is a typo in the details. Normally I do £10 and check it has arrived before sending the rest. The Notts computer system seems oblivious of the security issues in setting up and making a new faster payment.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    I totally agree as I too am very wary of transferring a large sum up front. I normally start by sending £1 and checking safe arrival before sending the actual amount. Yes, some providers tell you that's not permitted. However if that's the case, depending on the provider, I talk to them by phone and explain. A few have allowed me to do my £1 test transfer and then follow up with the real deal. As Nottingham is more bureaucratic than most, they may refuse to co-operate.
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 20th Apr 17, 5:22 AM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    isasmurf
    Leeds Building Society Limited Edition Online Saver (Issue 2) is now available. Interest rate is 1.05%. Account matures and interest paid on 31 May 2018. Unlimited withdrawals. Opening deposit/minimum operating balance is £1,000. I believe Leeds BS have, or are about to, change their conditions so that the opening deposit can be made by Faster Payment from a current account in your name (used to be it had to be by cheque).

If you are nervous about sending £1,000 to a new payee by FP, I suggest to avoid typos when setting up your FP instruction that you copy and paste Leeds BS account number and your reference number when provided with this information.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 20th Apr 17, 12:28 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I totally agree as I too am very wary of transferring a large sum up front. I normally start by sending £1 and checking safe arrival before sending the actual amount. Yes, some providers tell you that's not permitted. However if that's the case, depending on the provider, I talk to them by phone and explain. A few have allowed me to do my £1 test transfer and then follow up with the real deal. As Nottingham is more bureaucratic than most, they may refuse to co-operate.
    I've gone as far as making a written complaint, or observation, to the Notts but even that hasn't gone anywhere. The initial deposit is used as part of the identity checks, but the computer algorithm also checks to make sure the payment is for at least £1000 or else returns it by CHAPS. The T&C's clearly state that payments with customer details not matching those used to set up the new account will be returned, but there is nothing saying that a payment of under £1000 will be returned. A case of the algorithm not accurarately implementing the T&C's... not the first and won't be the last.

I was 'helpfully' told that as their system had bounced my payment back I had the proof the faster payment details were correct! Hmmmm!

If you are nervous about sending £1,000 to a new payee by FP, I suggest to avoid typos when setting up your FP instruction that you copy and paste Leeds BS account number and your reference number when provided with this information.
    Originally posted by isasmurf
    Thanks isasmurf, that's the way I do it already, but I like to be belt-and-braces and actually see the money has arrived in an account I can log onto and view (and print off!) before moving more than a couple of hundred pounds. Call me paranoid, but I assume that any details in an email or on-screen confirmation of account opening might contain an error too.

...given that certain organisations (no names mentioned) can deactivate the customer services email address published on their website, not inform their CS staff at their call-centre that this has been done, so said CS staff suggest customer re-sends the email to said email address because it must be the customer's email not working properly. That could never happen, could it?
    • Jane Thomas
    • By Jane Thomas 20th Apr 17, 12:57 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jane Thomas
    £30K to put somewhere!
    I would like to put a sum of about £30K somewhere. I already have a Lloyds Club account with the linked savings account. Where could I put the rest? Whats the ICIC account mentioned further down the thread?

Many thanks
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 20th Apr 17, 1:34 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    isasmurf
    Thanks isasmurf, that's the way I do it already, but I like to be belt-and-braces and actually see the money has arrived in an account I can log onto and view (and print off!) before moving more than a couple of hundred pounds. Call me paranoid, but I assume that any details in an email or on-screen confirmation of account opening might contain an error too.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Yes, I like to see the minimum deposit there (and making a test withdrawal back) before transferring large amounts, but I am comfortable in copy and pasting automated details provided to me. If there was an error there I would regard it as a bank error where they would be obliged to refund me, backdate interest and pay a suitable level of compensation.
    • KTF
    • By KTF 20th Apr 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4,531 Posts
    • 1,850 Thanks
    KTF
    I would like to put a sum of about £30K somewhere. I already have a Lloyds Club account with the linked savings account. Where could I put the rest? Whats the ICIC account mentioned further down the thread?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by Jane Thomas
    I have been putting mine on peer2peer sites like ratesetter and assetzcapital.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

1,688Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin