Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 162
    • colsten
    • By colsten 26th Jan 17, 8:40 PM
    • 8,426 Posts
    • 6,982 Thanks
    colsten
    Could it be done online or you will need to call them ??
    Originally posted by adindas
    You need to call them to close and account. I have just closed one - it's quick and painless if you call from the app.
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 26th Jan 17, 11:59 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Nottinghma BS has eSaver i6 with interest of 1.02%pa instant access, unlimited withdrawals, for the balance of £1,000 - £250,000 (e.g minimum operating balance of £1000)

https://www.thenottingham.com/savings/products/esaver-istant-issue-6/
    Originally posted by adindas
    The Nottingham BS eSaver i6 is no longer available
    Saved Nitty Gritty £2333.72 [46.67%]/£5,000-[Apr] £506.42 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £1956.34 March NSDs 22/15 CCCChallenge 3/12 mths
    • schiff
    • By schiff 27th Jan 17, 8:07 AM
    • 17,273 Posts
    • 8,567 Thanks
    schiff
    Originally posted by Jo Blogs
    Mine has only been open for 10 days but I was proposing to close it anyway after the Jan 31st interest goes in because of IPOs not reaching my designated account the same day. Switching to a Tesco Internet Saver as suggested by adindas.

PS: now realised I don't need it doh - or won't after the February RSs
    Last edited by schiff; 27-01-2017 at 9:08 AM.
    • ctdctd
    • By ctdctd 27th Jan 17, 8:42 AM
    • 761 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    ctdctd
    Originally posted by Jo Blogs
    I see RCI are now up to 1.10% from 1.02% - I wonder if they are having a little competitive spat with the Nottingham.

P.S.The RCI faster payments out are next working day.
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
    • adindas
    • By adindas 27th Jan 17, 10:06 AM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 1,400 Thanks
    adindas
    I see RCI are now up to 1.10% from 1.02% - I wonder if they are having a little competitive spat with the Nottingham.

P.S.The RCI faster payments out are next working day.
    Originally posted by ctdctd
    I think the best one is to take the best of both worlds. Just be aware according to here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5258496

"Not covered by the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme although it is covered by the French deposit guarantee scheme so in the event of them not meeting their obligations you would be dealing with France

Also they state they are only subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority
    "

I wonder if anyone who know this protection could elaborate further about equivalent to FSCS or probably the possible pitfalls, disadvantage for customer based in the UK while having french financial protection ??. If there is zero risk to my capital similar to FSCS, I will bite it to take the best of both worlds. This could be use for longer saving for a month or two (say) involving quite large some of money.
    Last edited by adindas; 27-01-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 27th Jan 17, 12:24 PM
    • 3,986 Posts
    • 3,696 Thanks
    eskbanker
    English-language info about the French scheme is at https://www.garantiedesdepots.fr/en/fgdr-guarantees/deposit-guarantee-scheme
    • gld73
    • By gld73 11th Feb 17, 1:38 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    gld73
    The Tesco account giving 3% is still the lead article on the main MSE instant access savings page, but it's not currently open to new customers - should the site be updated to say this? I haven't been able to open one this week, and today it's still saying they're focusing on existing customers rather than allowing new customers to open the current account. No sign of when it will be available again.
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 11th Feb 17, 1:57 PM
    • 962 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    The Tesco account giving 3% is still the lead article on the main MSE instant access savings page, .
    Originally posted by gld73
    Although you can have two accounts, unless you have a Clubcard Plus account, then they won't let you open a second Current account.
    I thank you for reading this message. Maybe you will thank me for posting it!
    • gld73
    • By gld73 16th Feb 17, 9:41 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    gld73
    Although you can have two accounts, unless you have a Clubcard Plus account, then they won't let you open a second Current account.
    Originally posted by I-LOV-MONEY
    Not sure what you meant? My comment was on not being allowed to open an account, applications closed to new users.

Anyway, irrelevant now, the MSE main website has been updated with what I was saying ... On 13/02/17:

MSE lead article: "Tesco Bank has blamed "unprecedented demand" for its decision to temporarily stop accepting new applications for its current account, just days after MoneySavingExpert.com highlighted its generous 3% interest rate."

Shows the effect an MSE recommendation can have!!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Feb 17, 12:52 PM
    • 6,841 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    teddysmum
    The website says the popularity is due to their announcement (advert?) about not reducing the 3% rate.
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 16th Feb 17, 3:07 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Jo Blogs

MSE lead article: "Tesco Bank has blamed "unprecedented demand" for its decision to temporarily stop accepting new applications for its current account, just days after MoneySavingExpert.com highlighted its generous 3% interest rate."

Shows the effect an MSE recommendation can have!!
    Originally posted by gld73
    MSE has been advertising the tesco 3% current account under the 'banking and saving' section for some time, I've had my accounts since virtual launch, so it's not so called 'new' advertising .

We shall have to wait and see what the changes will be when Tesco reactivate the application process. No doubt there will be changes to the T&C's, although there is an emphasis on existing current account customers from the information on the Tesco website .
    Saved Nitty Gritty £2333.72 [46.67%]/£5,000-[Apr] £506.42 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 16th Feb 17, 10:07 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    KRS EAA Rate Going Down
    The KRS Easy Access Account rate is going down from 1.2% to 1% as of March 2nd.
    • John Lancaster
    • By John Lancaster 26th Feb 17, 2:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John Lancaster
    John Lancaster
    hello,
    I'm new to Forum so please excuse any mishaps.
    I've recently retire and am looking for Investment areas, some instant Access other longer term.
    Recent searching revealed London Capital & Finance - 3 Year Growth Bond at 8%.
    Has anyone experience of this or is it 'Too good to be True'
    • dekkard
    • By dekkard 26th Feb 17, 2:22 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    dekkard
    hello,
    I've recently retire and am looking for Investment areas, some instant Access other longer term.
    Originally posted by John Lancaster
    Other threads on this forum on the topic of this company suggest it offers no FSCS protection at all. Risky!
    • masonic
    • By masonic 26th Feb 17, 2:33 PM
    • 8,803 Posts
    • 5,918 Thanks
    masonic
    hello,
    There is the potential for you to lose 100% of your capital with this investment. Investing in a single bond like this is probably riskier than buying an investment fund investing in stocks and shares. Since you are posting in a thread about savings accounts, I presume you are looking to save rather than invest?
    Last edited by masonic; 26-02-2017 at 2:35 PM.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 26th Feb 17, 8:13 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 3,827 Thanks
    badger09

Yes. Too good to be true.
    • vaio2002
    • By vaio2002 18th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    vaio2002
    Post Office Online Saver
    Hi,
    A word of warning, I just tried to apply for a Post Office Online Saver and it states a max length of email address is 32 characters! This falls well short in length of the agreed standard in the technology industry. (254 max)

I then tried calling them (3 times), the voice on the menu was clear and loud but when put through to a call handler they had a very very quiet voice. After asking them repeatably to speak up they would not answer my question to why the email address had to be so short!

Hope this stops some one else getting frustrated.

Thanks,
    Jon.
    Last edited by vaio2002; 18-03-2017 at 8:12 AM. Reason: Missed the word "not"
    • By 2010 19th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 4,105 Posts
    • 3,300 Thanks
    I would have thought 32 characters was ample for an email address.
    • picks
    • By picks 19th Mar 17, 10:04 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    picks
    I would have thought 32 characters was ample for an email address.
    Originally posted by 2010
    It's nothing like enough, Mine's got 37 characters after the @ so I'm with vaio2002 that 32 for the whole email address is ridiculous when addresses should be allowed up to 254 characters.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 19th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    • 8,803 Posts
    • 5,918 Thanks
    masonic
    It's nothing like enough, Mine's got 37 characters after the @ so I'm with vaio2002 that 32 for the whole email address is ridiculous when addresses should be allowed up to 254 characters.
    Originally posted by picks
    Blimey, from time to time I have to spell out my email address over the phone. I find that pretty annoying even though it is quite short. I couldn't imagine doing so with 37 characters, let alone 254 There are also machine readable forms where I've had to enter an email address and would certainly not have been able to do so if my email address was much longer than it currently is.

I suppose if Pablo Picasso were alive today, he's have wanted to grab the email address: Pablo.Diego.Jose.Francisco.de.Paula.Juan.Nepomucen o.Mar!a.de.los.Remedios.Cipriano.de.la.Sant!sima.T rinidad.Ruiz.y.Picasso@gmail.com
    Fortunately for him, since this is only 132 characters, he could even extend it if someone else has already taken that address.

I'm glad to see you've both managed to keep your forum names nice and short.
    Last edited by masonic; 19-03-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

211Posts Today

1,396Users online

Martin's Twitter