Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Get out of your Orange contract (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Get out of your Orange contract
Closed Thread
Views: 31,813
# 1
Couger
Old 12-11-2007, 7:45 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Get out of your Orange contract

If you look at your latest Orange bill, they are going to be charging for numbers like 07978 that are used to call abroad from December 15th. However, there is a clause in the Orange contract which enables you to terminate the contract early.

http://www1.orange.co.uk/mobileterms/

it is clause 4.3 in that link, the clause is:

"4.3 terminating your Contract because Orange has changed its terms
You may also terminate your Contract if we vary its terms, resulting in an excessive increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this Contract to your detriment. In such cases you would need to give us at least 14 days written notice prior to your Billing Date (and within one month of us telling you about the changes). "
So if you want to cancel your contract early because of these changes, do it quickly but avoid paying for the remainder of your contract when Orange no longer give you any benefit!
# 2
Kaz&Mike
Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Couger, thank you for this. I am locked in battle with Orange at the moment as two weeks ago I called and asked about the package with free broadband. I was told which one it was and I said yes I would like to go ahead with that. As we already had the Orange Broadand I asked how I would go about switching it over. I was told once I recieved the phone to call. We received the phone on the Thursday 1st November. So on the Friday I phoned up to change over the pac code and to sort out the transfer of the broadband. I was passed from one department to another. Eventually I was told, sorry that package had finished and I could not have it. I said I expressly asked for that package, so I was wrongly sold it.

I was then told it would have to be passed back to Sarah, the lady who sold it to me. They could not find her, so an email was sent to her. When i had still not heard from her on the Monday I called again. No sorry, Sarah was busy with another call, could they help? So I told them what had happened and was again told Sarah would call me back. Tuesday arrived and still no call. I was told that Sarah was trying to speak to a supervisor and would call me back when she had. Wednesday arrived and still no call back. So I called using a different name. This time she did call. She said that Orange could not provide me with the package she had told me had been available. I have since then been trying to cancel my contract. Yet again this morning I have spent over an hour on the phone to them

I have never had such bad customer service as this and deeply regret our decission to change to Orange.
# 3
sick_note
Old 14-11-2007, 9:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

how do i use the 07978 numbers ? to help me get out of my orange contract ive googled it and dont have a easy way yet
Thanks
# 4
mulerider
Old 14-11-2007, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Go to Hot Uk Deals and type in Orange as a search, there's a really long thread on there.
# 5
The_Dark_Knight
Old 31-12-2010, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Any thoughts on getting out of a two year Orange contract on the grounds of having moved house and not being able to get reception in the new location?

I'm only 10 months in and don't want s*** reception for the remainder.
# 6
pmduk
Old 31-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You might be better creating a new thread rather than resuscitate a 3 year old one.
# 7
robt
Old 01-01-2011, 2:19 AM

New thread or not, the simple answer is no you can't get out of your contract because you moved to an area with no reception.
# 8
rb10
Old 01-01-2011, 9:27 AM

Make sure you've signed up for T-mobile signal, by going to www.orange.co.uk/share.

This will increase your chances of getting signal at home.
The Following User Says Thank You to rb10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
The_Dark_Knight
Old 01-01-2011, 5:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt View Post
New thread or not, the simple answer is no you can't get out of your contract because you moved to an area with no reception.
There must be some grounds for termination of contact.

I'm effectively paying for nothing right now.
# 10
sporedude
Old 01-01-2011, 5:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
There must be some grounds for termination of contact.

I'm effectively paying for nothing right now.

No grounds atall, you moved to an area with no signal, not the networks problem
# 11
The_Dark_Knight
Old 04-01-2011, 1:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

So I carry on paying for rough signal at best with no come back at all?

Don't think so. There's always a way.
# 12
robt
Old 04-01-2011, 1:43 PM

Would you prefer we lied to you so that you can hear what you want to hear?

This subject is done several times a week 52 weeks a year. Your case is no different to anyone elses unless there is some information you have not told us.
# 13
Dubai4me
Old 27-09-2011, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi. I wonder if you can provide advice. My Orange service has become virtually non-existant within my home since August. After several phone calls, they now admit that a mast is degrading. I live in a fairly remote area. They keep moving the date for repair, currently 2nd October but has been changed twice previously. My contract does not end until Jun 2012. As far as I am concerned, the change in my service is down to them and I would never have agreed to a contract that did not include service to my home. The T Mobile option does not work either. Do I have any grounds to get out of my contract if they continue not to fix the problem?
# 14
grumbler
Old 27-09-2011, 4:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Are you aware of UMA available for some handsets?

Failing that, follow their formal complaint procedure or complain to their executive office. Then complain to the ombudsman. IMO, if you have some confirmation of the failing mast from Orange, you are very likely to win.
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
# 15
Dubai4me
Old 27-09-2011, 5:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks. Just had a look on Orange but I don't think they are compatible with my iPhone. Think complaints procedure is the only way, but, they say they don't guarantee service within a home... My argument is they did and through no fault of mine they now don't!
# 16
grumbler
Old 27-09-2011, 5:17 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai4me View Post
...but, they say they don't guarantee service within a home... My argument is they did and through no fault of mine they now don't!
You argument is that they did provide the service when you bought the contract, and this was why you have bought it. Later they stopped providing the service because of their fault that they admitted.
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
# 17
drbesty
Old 27-09-2011, 5:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Orange don't guarantee signal indoors, regardless of whether you had it before or not. If Orange have admitted a fault on the mast, OFCOM allow them 89 days to fix it, so you may be in for a long wait, I'd try and negotiate some money off your bill in the meantime
# 18
Dubai4me
Old 27-09-2011, 5:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks. Yes that is virtually word for word what I said and their response was they don't guarantee service within the home. I will follow their complaints process if the service is not restored.
# 19
Dubai4me
Old 27-09-2011, 5:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbesty View Post
Orange don't guarantee signal indoors, regardless of whether you had it before or not. If Orange have admitted a fault on the mast, OFCOM allow them 89 days to fix it, so you may be in for a long wait, I'd try and negotiate some money off your bill in the meantime
Thanks. Yes, that is what they said! The problem started early August and they did credit my account for the first month, but now they say they will look at compensation once the mast is fixed. But they are also saying that the timeframe of the fix isn't guaranteed either. So I am left paying for very little service unless I drive 5 miles... Seems to me that they don't guarantee a great deal...
# 20
hymenaios
Old 20-11-2011, 5:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

hi there, does anyone know if orange taking money repeatedly out of a bank account for a bill thats already been paid constitute as grounds to terminate a contract on?
Closed Thread