Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 9th Nov 07, 1:06 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion
    • 9th Nov 07, 1:06 PM
    Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion 9th Nov 07 at 1:06 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Cheapest Boiler Cover

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 4:21 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 25
    • Henry-Root
    • By Henry-Root 15th Sep 16, 3:59 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Henry-Root
    Who is best for boiler and heating system cover
    Just been requoted by BG an extotionate figure for renewal. Problem is I have a 10 year old boiler althoughh quite reliable and parts available. Any ideas who else is best? Can't find guide.
    If a job needs doing, do it
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 15th Sep 16, 6:12 PM
    • 26,811 Posts
    • 12,994 Thanks
    Cardew
    Just been requoted by BG an extotionate figure for renewal. Problem is I have a 10 year old boiler althoughh quite reliable and parts available. Any ideas who else is best? Can't find guide.
    Originally posted by Henry-Root
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/boiler-insurance

All of these schemes have come in for a huge amount of criticism on MSE and elsewhere.

Frankly with a 10 old boiler you are wasting your money - particularly with the 'Big Boys'

The standard practice is to state you need a 'Power flush' which is not covered by the scheme and costs several hundred pounds.

Try and find a reliable local gas registered plumber is the best advice.
    • sheridanslack
    • By sheridanslack 4th Jan 17, 2:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sheridanslack
    24/7 Home Rescue - any experience?
    I have just got my British Gas Home care cover down 30% by calling up, but it is still considerably more than the U-Switch quote for 24/7 home rescue for what looks like a similar deal. Does anyone have any reviews or experience of 24/7? Is it worth paying the extra for BG?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 4th Jan 17, 7:20 PM
    • 26,811 Posts
    • 12,994 Thanks
    Cardew
    I have just got my British Gas Home care cover down 30% by calling up, but it is still considerably more than the U-Switch quote for 24/7 home rescue for what looks like a similar deal. Does anyone have any reviews or experience of 24/7? Is it worth paying the extra for BG?
    Originally posted by sheridanslack
    30+ people in this thread seem to have the same experience with 24/7

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5141494
    • mr_jrt
    • By mr_jrt 2nd Apr 17, 11:41 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    mr_jrt
    I've recently purchased my first flat, and it has a gas combi boiler (I think it's about 7 years old) that's due its annual service, and as I'm getting a lodger in, I believe I need a gas safety certificate as well.

Looking at my options, the cheapest boiler services look to be around the £80 mark, and going by BG a gas safety cert looks to be about £24 per appliance (so £48 as there's a gas hob as well). With that in mind, BG's "HomeCare One with a Gas Safety Certificate" looks reasonable, as at £14/mo that comes in at £168, vs. £128 for the bits separately, making the boiler cover effectively £3.33/mo.

Any thoughts on that - i.e. have I missed anything?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 2nd Apr 17, 12:36 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 2,436 Thanks
    Hengus
    I've recently purchased my first flat, and it has a gas combi boiler (I think it's about 7 years old) that's due its annual service, and as I'm getting a lodger in, I believe I need a gas safety certificate as well.

Looking at my options, the cheapest boiler services look to be around the £80 mark, and going by BG a gas safety cert looks to be about £24 per appliance (so £48 as there's a gas hob as well). With that in mind, BG's "HomeCare One with a Gas Safety Certificate" looks reasonable, as at £14/mo that comes in at £168, vs. £128 for the bits separately, making the boiler cover effectively £3.33/mo.

Any thoughts on that - i.e. have I missed anything?
    Originally posted by mr_jrt
    Yes - if the property is let then you can usually claim back tax for these costs so make sure that you keep all receipts etc.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 4th Apr 17, 8:18 AM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 9,309 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    A 10 year old boiler,my oh my,, mines 35 years old.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Nightowl4933
    • By Nightowl4933 21st Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Nightowl4933
    Got my renewal 'offer' from BG for HC4 at £506 (£42.15 pm), but in the post this morning I got an offer from another provider - seemingly with a similar level of cover - for £5 for three months then £19pm fixed for 2 years. Assuming BG doesn't go up next year (LOL) this could save me almost £600!

Is this TGTBT?

PS. There is a £50 callout fee for boilers older than 7 years, which mine isn't, and drains callouts.
    Last edited by Nightowl4933; 21-06-2017 at 6:08 PM.
    • jjhamilton
    • By jjhamilton 9th Jul 17, 9:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jjhamilton
    Just purchased my first Home and have devided to get boiler cover. Ive been hunting around and all the big boys are exensive.

Ive come across 2 reasonably priced companies:
    The first is 247 Home Rescue - they seam to have loads of poor reviews about customer service and miss selling.

The second is Home Emergency, but cant seam to find much about them, have spoken with them on the phone ans they seam good enough. Has anyone had any dealings with them that they could share.

If anyone has any other suggestions of companies.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 9th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 26,811 Posts
    • 12,994 Thanks
    Cardew
    Just purchased my first Home and have devided to get boiler cover. Ive been hunting around and all the big boys are exensive.

Ive come across 2 reasonably priced companies:
    The first is 247 Home Rescue - they seam to have loads of poor reviews about customer service and miss selling.

The second is Home Emergency, but cant seam to find much about them, have spoken with them on the phone ans they seam good enough. Has anyone had any dealings with them that they could share.

If anyone has any other suggestions of companies.
    Originally posted by jjhamilton
    There are hundreds of posts on this thread which you should read that address your query . In essence you will pay a lot of money for good cover, and as your boiler gets older, you will find it more of a problem.

Read this thread on 24/7

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5141494
  • HomeServe company representative
    Hi there,

We do believe we price our products fairly. The prices are in line with the value that we give our Customers, both in terms of peace of mind and the products and services offered, and the costs of providing this. And, actually, improving the value we give is something we are continually working on. We’ve focused on rewarding our Customers’ loyalty by enhancing our products to cover more whilst providing a better and faster service for the same price.

Also, we try to ensure our pricing specifically takes into account our Customers’ individual circumstances and we’re always happy to discuss cover levels and pricing with individuals. For new Customers we are very clear in all our communication that we are offering them a first year price and that it will change for the second year onwards. We ensure that Customers are aware of any renewal changes a number of weeks in advance so Customers have time to review the renewal and contact us.

With regards what you’ve mentioned around our fine, this is an historic event and since then we have strengthened our ties with our regulator. We're a different business to what we were and we accepted that fine in recognition of how we let our standards fall – standards that we have invested heavily in upholding since.

If you do wish to discuss anything further, you can locate our contact information on our profile.

Kind regards

Rebecca
    Here To Help Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of HomeServe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • lisle
    • By lisle 24th Aug 17, 2:29 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    lisle
    My renewal came from BG £310.09 for the year (£25.83 per month), an increase of 13%.
    Just rang customer services & they have offered me same cover for £18.08 per month, annoyingly I have been paying £25.83 a month for this year's cover!
    I'm on a roll, Sky's next!
    I'm in the £2.00 club! terramundi cracked open Christmas Day £748 Started a new one Boxing Day!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

36Posts Today

3,490Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin