Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Share Dealing Discussion Area (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Share Dealing Discussion Area
Views: 600,062
# 41
tenuissent
Old 27-03-2006, 9:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank you - it's all clearly explained now. A shame I bought them at 1.93 and didn't notice them steadily going down until 1.20 looked like a good price to everyone else. I'm really grateful for the help given here.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to tenuissent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
ely
Old 07-04-2006, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm currently wanting to sell some shares as a one off. brought as a share save scheme through work several years ago.

found out that can use lloyds tsb scotland as they are registrars. may sound daft but i assume that payment will be transfered into my bank account by them after their commission..is this right ???? I want my money !!! ha ha
# 43
bonerparte
Old 14-04-2006, 1:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Real Time Share Prices

I just found a site, quite by accident which seems to show you realtime share prices. It is free to register, although the free membership comes at a small price in that your browser times out after a while, depending on how many people are trying to view shares at the same time. However, dispite that I found it seems to work and I have been using it to keep an eye on my penny shares. If your browser times out, you can click refresh and it works again so it is no hardship. True enough it does seem to update itself every few seconds.

Can someone have a look at it and see whether I am being duped or whether it is bona fide?

The site is: http://www.advfn.com

Thanks!

Dan
# 44
cheerfulcat
Old 15-04-2006, 7:13 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hello, Dan,

Yes, ADVFN is a legitimate site. You get a lot of information there for free but not all of it is reliable ( though this is true even for paid-for sites ). Digitallook also has a free real-time price service, similarly restricted.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheerfulcat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
bonerparte
Old 15-04-2006, 11:46 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks very much I appreciate that. I thought it looked ok, but I just thought that it was too good to be true!

Best wishes
Dan
Watch Out! It's quite possible that some of my best mistakes haven't been made yet!
The Following User Says Thank You to bonerparte For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
tracylaw
Old 24-05-2006, 12:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I received a letter from Arc Equities Limited, this morning concerning the floation of The Weather Lottery, currently a Private company, but apparently floating on the stock market and the letter invites interest prior to "the Company's inteded admission to AIM in due course"

Please could anyone explain this, and whether it is a good idea to buy shares in this investment - or how would I find out? Has anyone else received a similar letter?

Thanks T
The Following User Says Thank You to tracylaw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
jon2432
Old 04-06-2006, 3:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Standard Life discounted shares

Any guesstimates if Standard Life discounted shares will be a good long term prospect.
# 48
Shaanbles
Old 11-06-2006, 6:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question Win Investment

Anyone heard of these guys or been to their 3 day seminar. Trying to work out if they are any good.
# 49
joli
Old 26-06-2006, 9:36 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default to buy or not to buy that is the question!

I have never bought shares and know absolutely nothing about them but I am due to get some from the Standard Life floatation and am considering buyibg more with 1000 I have saved. Is this worth doing or will it be more hassle than it's worth. I appreciate that no one can advise me on the actual performance of the shares but it is the process and cost which is my concern, maybe 1000 is not enough to make it a good proposition? Would welcome any help before the 5th July deadline please, Ta!
The Following User Says Thank You to joli For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
SAP_Saver
Old 18-07-2006, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to SAP_Saver

May be a little late now but it would have been a good sort term investment as they performed well initially and look to do well in the long term also - hope you did the right thing.

Deepest Debt - 13,000+
Debt Now - 0
# 51
figi
Old 09-08-2006, 1:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default nominee accounts - safe or dodgy?

Hello all

I have inherited some shares and want to be in a position to sell them when I feel it is the right time. I've been researching on the net and it seems that the recommended thing is to transfer them to a nominee account with an online broker.

A few questions I be very grateful for advice/opinions on...

1 how safe is it to transfer my holding over to people who I don't know? If my name no longer appears on the register of shareholders then how can I be safeguarded from having them nicked?

2 what is the difference between a ringfenced and a non-ringfenced account? The value of my holding is (at the moment!) in excess of the
30k I have seen mentioned as the safeguarded amount.

3 I am thinking of signing up with the This is Money website Sharedealing service. They charge 15 per trade. They have no subscription charge. What appeals to me about them is that they are connected with a site I know fairly well and is backed by Associated newspapers, and also that I would be eligible to ask free advice from a team of stockbrokers.

Does anyone have experience of either nominee accounts in general or of the This is Money sharedealing service?

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who replies......
# 52
cloud_dog
Old 09-08-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figi
1 how safe is it to transfer my holding over to people who I don't know? If my name no longer appears on the register of shareholders then how can I be safeguarded from having them nicked?
Well, you don't know banks or BS personally but you give them your money (only joking...). Just make sure they are regulated by the FSA and if you need to check them out with the FSA and even Companies House (if relevant).

Quote:
2 what is the difference between a ringfenced and a non-ringfenced account? The value of my holding is (at the moment!) in excess of the
30k I have seen mentioned as the safeguarded amount.
Have to admit to not knowing what a 'ringfenced' account is'. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the compensation scheme run for deposit accounts, i.e. 90% up to 30k something?

Quote:
3 I am thinking of signing up with the This is Money website Sharedealing service. They charge 15 per trade. They have no subscription charge. What appeals to me about them is that they are connected with a site I know fairly well and is backed by Associated newspapers, and also that I would be eligible to ask free advice from a team of stockbrokers.

Does anyone have experience of either nominee accounts in general or of the This is Money sharedealing service?

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who replies......
No experience with the TIM service but have my / my wifes accounts, including ISA investment accounts with Selftrade (used to be Squaregain), and I know a few others also use them. 12.50 per trade with no account charges. They are not the absolute cheapest but service is pretty good.

I know some people like the Halifax nominee account service as it is very cheap but, it acheives this by polling trades and only dealing on specific days of the month.

cloud_dog
Personal Responsibility - Sad but True
# 53
dilied
Old 13-08-2006, 8:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaanbles
Anyone heard of these guys or been to their 3 day seminar. Trying to work out if they are any good.
Have heard of win...suggest you go to bbc.co.uk and chuck it in the search...you will then see a few (uncomplimentary) articles
# 54
LOST
Old 14-08-2006, 11:29 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi - I'm looking to sell my holding of shares and want to know the cheapest and most convenient to get rid of the following ordinary shares:
500 shares of BT
5000 shares of Gamingking
500 shares of Firestone Diamonds
500 shares of TG21 (ex TOAD)

should I go through the firms appointed share dealing service (i.e. Llyods TSB Registrars in re. BT Shares) and deal the rest through a single broker - or should I just go through one broker (will I get a better deal this way?)

thanks in advance for your help
# 55
cloud_dog
Old 15-08-2006, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOST
Hi - I'm looking to sell my holding of shares and want to know the cheapest and most convenient......
LOST, I'm not sure the two go together.

For convienience take the share certificates to a local bank who provides a share dealing service (Barclays / Natwest, etc) but you are likely to pay up to 30 per transaction.

Alternatively open a dealing account with an online broker, send in the share certs, and then sell them (Selftrade charge 12.50, others charge more / less, Halifax have a dealing service that is very cheap but you can only deal on specific days of the month).

cloud_dog
The Following User Says Thank You to cloud_dog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
LOST
Old 15-08-2006, 4:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

cheers dog!

will have a look into them!
# 57
cloud_dog
Old 15-08-2006, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOST
cheers dog!

will have a look into them!
One other thing, if you do open an online dealing account look into possible charges for closing the account (should you no langer want it), I beleive Selftrade do not charge for this but, others do (region of 60).

cloud_dog
# 58
cheerfulcat
Old 17-08-2006, 4:06 PM

Default FSA fines Hoodless Brennan

MSE might like to note that Hoodless Brennan have been fined for a second time by the FSA - this time for unacceptable sales practices which includes persuading customers to buy high risk shares. Cheap isn't always best...
# 59
Franko43
Old 17-08-2006, 4:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Seen that earlier myself CC - should we only take this into consideration where investors have HB hired as an advisor. Or for people like myself currently investigating the market to use HB online to buy/sell stock would this have an affect?
# 60
cheerfulcat
Old 17-08-2006, 5:30 PM

Hi, Franko,

A well-respected poster on TMF has this to say about HB.

I don't know whether the people who have been telephoned by HB are only those using the advisory service but I have to say that if my ( execution only ) brokers were to be fined for " unacceptable practices " they wouldn't see me for dust!