Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Share Dealing Discussion Area (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Share Dealing Discussion Area
Views: 600,813
# 21
cloud_dog
Old 09-11-2005, 9:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Depends if you want to save yourself a few quid for an extra bit of effort. If you take your share certs to your bank (assuming they execute share transactions) then they are likely to charge approx £30+ to do so.

Alternatively you could open up a dealing account with Squaregain (I have an account with them), deposit your cert with them (takes between 7 and 14 days) and then sell them for £12.50 (there are chaeaper, Hoodless Brennan for example - £7.50 - but not sure about account closure charges); you then just withdraw your money back into your nominated bank account. Squaregain do not charge to close the account, some providers do - be aware of this if you chose this option.

It depends if you want to save yourself £20??????

cloud_dog
Personal Responsibility - Sad but True
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cloud_dog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
hobbesandco
Old 10-11-2005, 9:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default NASDAQ - Squaregain

This is in response to tony2toes. Hmmm...interesting name.

Anyways, I just bought some shares on NASDAQ with Squaregain. They charge £12.50. There are some you can buy on-line but with mine I had to buy through a broker but no extra charge there. They're pretty good. Just remember to have the W8-BEN tax form signed BEFORE you make any trades.
Laughing all the way...
The Following User Says Thank You to hobbesandco For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
CTT
Old 10-11-2005, 9:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have just joined Squaregain via a link from the nakertrader website and by going this route, Squaregain will credit £50 to my account after only 1 trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to CTT For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
CTT
Old 12-11-2005, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have today signed up with Hoodless and they have offered me a free months trading.
Now what shall I buy.......
The Following User Says Thank You to CTT For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
Ratchet
Old 20-11-2005, 7:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just a question for Hobbesandco, whats the purpose of the W8-BEN form and why's it advisable to fill it in before trading on NASDAQ shares?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ratchet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
hobbesandco
Old 22-11-2005, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default w8-BEN Form

The W8BEN Form is for US Inland Revenue Tax Purposes and is compulsory if you're purchasing US shares. You cannot be a resident of the US for tax purposes (i.e. citizen or green-card holder).
Laughing all the way...
The Following User Says Thank You to hobbesandco For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
plumb1
Old 25-12-2005, 9:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to plumb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT
I have just joined Squaregain via a link from the nakertrader website and by going this route, Squaregain will credit £50 to my account after only 1 trade.
You could have got £75, via this route
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.html?t=91587
Having a Powerflush, check your fitter spends a min of 4/5 hours doing it. My last one on the 05/10/13 took 8 hrs( dam 10mm micro)
The Following User Says Thank You to plumb1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
young
Old 14-01-2006, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Is Squaregain a good option for a one off trade?
The Following User Says Thank You to young For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
TDM850
Old 19-01-2006, 5:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

HRS you'll find a useful list of shareholder perks at Sharecrazy
http://www.sharecrazy.com/resources/perks.html

They also have a lot of other data on each company, if you click on the company names they are highlighted
The Following User Says Thank You to TDM850 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
yoyo42
Old 19-02-2006, 11:59 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Best way to sell Australian (ASX) shares?

Hi,

I have about £3000 worth of shares in an Australian bank (following various demutualisations and mergers) which I'd like to cash in. I haven't done anything but cash in a few Abbey shares before...

None of the 'usual' sites (Squaregain, Hoodless Brennan, etc) mentioned on here seem to cover the ASX market, just UK/US.

I did try a while ago and found one of the big names (Barclays I think) who said they'd do it for £100 or so, but they never actually sent me the forms to open the account...

So what are your recommendations for selling them? I have an electronic certificate for the shares.

A possible route: I have a stepsister who recently emigrated to Australia. She could possibly do it if I gave them to her and send (most of) the money back, but I have a feeling I'd fall foul of all sorts of nasty tax and money laundering issues... I'd rather find a UK broker to handle it!

Looking forward to your replies

Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to yoyo42 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
batty
Old 19-02-2006, 4:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

the best site to see is advfn . and the best stockbrockers are self trade 12.50 flat fee itrade over 50k a day and here is one for free buy eme you missed the boat a bit last friday but a long way to go EME.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to batty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
the_tired_one
Old 07-03-2006, 11:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We have 750 Shares in a building society that we would like to sell.

How do we do it; who do we need to see?

I, My husband, and our 11 year old each have 250 shares.

My daughters are held jointly in my name

What is the cheapest way to sell these shares-can it be done online?

Its a one-off transaction. I wont be buying/selling any more shares in the future.

Thanks

Last edited by the_tired_one; 08-03-2006 at 12:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to the_tired_one For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
cheerfulcat
Old 11-03-2006, 7:40 AM

Hi, tto,

Have a look at the share certificates; there should be a registrar named on them ( usually Lloyds TSB or Capita, sometimes Computershare ). The registrars have a low(ish) cost sharedealing service ( links ) which allows you to sell shares as a one-off.

HTH

Cheerfulcat
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheerfulcat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
ReportInvestor
Old 11-03-2006, 7:59 AM

Congratulations on hanging onto your Bradford & Binlgley shares for so long. They are currently worth around £3,600 .

Computershare - see cc's link - is the company that operates the B&B Nominee Account.
The Following User Says Thank You to ReportInvestor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
tenuissent
Old 25-03-2006, 12:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I can't find a suitable place to ask what could be a stupid question about P&O shares, so I apologise if this is the wrong place:

I bought 600 concessionary P&O shares a few years ago in order to cross the channel more cheaply and often. Now that P&O have been sold, I have been sent a cheque. What I can't make out is whether my shares have been compulsorily purchased (at a loss), and I don't have them any more....or whether this is a bonus and I DO still own the shares? The wording with the cheque is brief and unhelpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to tenuissent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
ReportInvestor
Old 26-03-2006, 10:00 AM

If the cheque is for £3,120 your shares have been bought from you by Dubai Ports.

I'm not sure what loss you are referring to since they were worth just £1800 in October 2005.

If it's a small cheque then perhaps it's a dividend?
The Following User Says Thank You to ReportInvestor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
tenuissent
Old 26-03-2006, 4:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for replying. No, even I can recognise a dividend. I bought my shares for about £1,200 in 2004, and the cheque is for about £750. It just doesn't fit.

I'm not even sure what happens when one company buys another - does it take on all the existing shareholders as well??? Apparently over 90% of both sets of shareholders voted for this, which they hardly would have done if they were having their shares taken away for less than they paid for them. I'd love to think this was an unexpected bonus that I can share with my family, but I can't seem to find out who to ask.

Eventually I emailed P&O ticket sales, and they kindly gave me an address I have since contacted, so I am now waiting to hear.

Any further comment? How did you come to suggest the figure of £3,120? These are the 5.5 Concessionary shares that tend to remain much the same, not the other ones that go up and down....sorry to sound such a simpleton - I'm quite new to this.
The Following User Says Thank You to tenuissent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
ReportInvestor
Old 26-03-2006, 4:49 PM

Sorry, my figure was based on the ordinary shares x £5.20.

What does it say on the form that came with the cheque, which is evidence that the taxman will also have to understand?
Surely there must also have been some previous information sent?
Did you get an annual income from these concessionary shares?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReportInvestor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
tenuissent
Old 26-03-2006, 5:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes, I do get a couple of cheques a year for about £50 each, and yes, I got several mountains of glossy paperwork that I looked at but couldn't make head or tail of.

The form with the cheque is extraordinarily uninformative. It simply tells me how much is due "for each unit of Concessionary Stock you held at the Concessionary Scheme Record Time" without saying unambiguously whether or not I still own the shares.

I immediately assumed it was the bribe to shareholders to vote for them (for DP), but later I was not so sure.

I had to ask this question once before when AMP suddenly sent me some substantial cheques, much larger than the usual tiny dividend, and they politely explained, when asked, that this was a shareout of recent profits, and I still owned their shares.

Never mind, if P&O reply to me tomorrow, I hope it will be good news. Thanks for your time.
# 40
cheerfulcat
Old 26-03-2006, 5:26 PM

Everything is explained here. Essentially, the concessionary shares were bought by DP for £1.20.

HTH

Cheerfulcat
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheerfulcat For This Useful Post: Show me >>