Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 129
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 12th Dec 16, 8:43 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 6,593 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    If you ask about currency charges you would need to state size of the deal. The charges for Forex are not straight forward.
    I much prefer their % approach but the amount of shares I deal is small so % is fine for me, others might be better off finding a proper broker with fixed costs on a large deal it works better

this was mentioned above, looks valid to check through - http://www.candidmoney.com/guides
    Tokyo residential prices have gone from 4x London in 1990 to ¼ London in 2014
    Maybe this is one of those cases where you can’t go home again,
    by Ben S. Bernanke, former Fed chairman
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 27th Dec 16, 2:54 PM
    • 6,726 Posts
    • 54,364 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    I have what may be a dumb question.

My husband bought 60 Northern Rock shares years and years ago. We since moved house and forgot to change the address with them.

Is it worth doing anything about these shares or are they worth nothing?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 27th Dec 16, 4:57 PM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    I have what may be a dumb question.

My husband bought 60 Northern Rock shares years and years ago. We since moved house and forgot to change the address with them.

Is it worth doing anything about these shares or are they worth nothing?
    Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    I am afraid the shares are now worth nothing. The last Labour Government nationalised Northern Rock and (controversially) decided that its shareholders should not receive any compensation.
    • robertoegg
    • By robertoegg 18th Jan 17, 11:56 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    robertoegg
    noob question
    Noob Question:

I took part in a work share scheme which resulted in a certain balance of shares. I've since opted for redundancy which means I can no longer participate in that scheme. The options include keeping the shares but I need to set-up an account.

My intention is simply to "forget about" these shares; I do not want to actively trade.

From the article, I read that XO are the most no-frills and therefore least costly for an low activity account?

Your thoughts appreciated.

On the Instruction Form, the following text advises "A €60 fee will be charged for any <Company> custodian transfers....." Is there a way of avoiding this charge? eg-requesting the transfer from a different broker as opposed to instructing <Company> or have I misunderstood the implication there and the fee applies whenever a transfer is made out of the scheme?
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 18th Jan 17, 2:11 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    EdGasket
    Sounds like you are stuck with that fee.
    If you want to forget about them, why not just sell them?
    My Bro-in-law had masses of RBS shares from working there all his life and forgetting about them cost him tens of thousands as a result of the credit crunch and the decimation of the RBS share price.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 18th Jan 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    Vortigern
    On the Instruction Form, the following text advises "A €60 fee will be charged for any <Company> custodian transfers....." Is there a way of avoiding this charge?
    Originally posted by robertoegg
    That could be the charge for moving from the current nominee account to a nominee of your choosing. What would they charge to issue you with a share certificate?
    • robertoegg
    • By robertoegg 23rd Jan 17, 9:56 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    robertoegg
    That could be the charge for moving from the current nominee account to a nominee of your choosing. What would they charge to issue you with a share certificate?
    Originally posted by Vortigern
    I'm not sure - I'll give them a call, thanks
    • Sjbi
    • By Sjbi 25th Jan 17, 6:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sjbi
    Hi, please please can you help, it's driving me mad. I have a small amount (110) of Australian Computershare Ordinary Shares (electronic) and I am a UK resident. Ive contacted many UK companies (Aus's Computershare Investor Services says it has to be a UK broker) to see if they could sell these shares. Many companies haven't responded & others have asked for a minimum amount (£thousands) to be deposited first (eg Saxo) before they'll allow an account to be set up to transfer & sell the shares. Please please can someone help?
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 8th Feb 17, 3:58 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 6,593 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    Maybe ask an Australian friend. I have great problems with Australian shares and I hope to never have to deal with them directly.
    If the company dual lists on LSE thats ideal, or if they get taken over you get a cheque etc

Pay less for your share dealing, 12:15 to 14:15 on 15th February
    on 15th February, you’ll have the chance to buy or sell UK shares for just £3.95 commission per trade. That’s a £8.55 reduction on the usual price of £12.50 – a 68% reduction.

It’ll be available for a two-hour window on 15th February, from 12:15 until 14:15. And we’re applying the same great offer to trades on international stocks between 08:00 and 21:00. So put a note in your diary now.
    by halifax
    • Sjbi
    • By Sjbi 9th Feb 17, 9:17 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sjbi
    Thanks sabretoothtigger :-) for your reply.
    I cannot see Computershare on the LSE :-( Does that mean is nigh impossible to sell them?

@sabretoothtigger Halifax & HSBC can't deal in Australian shares
    Last edited by Sjbi; 10-02-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    • Sjbi
    • By Sjbi 10th Feb 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sjbi
    @sabretoothtigger have you heard any reviews of tddirectinvesting.co.uk? they say they can sell australian shares.
    • dales1
    • By dales1 12th Feb 17, 11:42 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    dales1
    We live in UK. Partner's mother had ANZ shares which were listed only in Australia. Many Australian stockbrokers had impossible ID verifying requirements. But Hartleys.com in Australia were helpful, and only required copy passport certified by a UK building society officer (ie a full-time counter clerk with over 4 year's service). Hartleys then sold the shares, deducted 1% commission, and remitted the remainder to her UK bank in Aus dollars, which her UK bank converted to sterling.
    A slog but she got there.

Dales.
    Last edited by dales1; 12-02-2017 at 2:35 PM. Reason: don't show full link
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 13th Feb 17, 5:18 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 6,593 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    @sabretoothtigger have you heard any reviews of tddirectinvesting.co.uk? they say they can sell australian shares.
    Originally posted by Sjbi
    Ive heard of them before covering many markets yes

deducted 1% commission
    thats the ideal, nothing too unfair on small holders
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 5th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 4,465 Posts
    • 6,017 Thanks
    74jax
    I'm wondering if someone can offer some advice.

I have a share save scheme at work where I invest for 3 years and have a choice to take the money or take in shares. Last year I took in shares and I will again this May.

My dad died over a year ago and his shares were passed to my brother and I. I am in the process of splitting these so they aren't in joint names.

There's about 6 different companies.

Is there a way I can have these all together so I don't have to keep looking in to all separate companies for share information.

I've looked at Halifax share dealing account but I need to deposit 1k which I don't want to do.

Can anyone recommend a way to manage that accounts, I've never had shares or investments and just want an easy way to 'watch' them.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 3,071 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    ... and just want an easy way to 'watch' them.
    Originally posted by 74jax
    I'm a little unsure what you mean by 'watch them'.

If you have paper certificates but want to be able to 'watch' the shares movement online then why not just create a dummy portfolio with the correct holdings / share numbers, i.e. Interactive Investors, Google Finance, etc, etc.

If you want to register them with an online broker so as to be able to trade (buy / sell) then there are a plethora or online brokers available, all of which will have their own pluses and minuses re AMC, (platform charge), dealing costs, etc ,etc.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • philjo
    • By philjo 6th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    philjo
    I was thinking of purchasing some Lloyds Bank shares.

If I want to hold these in the Corporate sponsored nominee account, what is be best way to do this? I asked the registrars (Equiniti) and they were not very helpful, just saying that I was unable to purchase the shares as I did not have an existing account.

or is it best to hold them elsewhere?
    most of my other shares are either in corporate nominee accounts or the older holdings held as paper certificates

Thanks
    • Trentenders
    • By Trentenders 6th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    Trentenders
    I'm wondering if someone can offer some advice.

I have a share save scheme at work where I invest for 3 years and have a choice to take the money or take in shares. Last year I took in shares and I will again this May.

My dad died over a year ago and his shares were passed to my brother and I. I am in the process of splitting these so they aren't in joint names.

There's about 6 different companies.

Is there a way I can have these all together so I don't have to keep looking in to all separate companies for share information.

I've looked at Halifax share dealing account but I need to deposit 1k which I don't want to do.

Can anyone recommend a way to manage that accounts, I've never had shares or investments and just want an easy way to 'watch' them.
    Originally posted by 74jax
    You could set up a portfolio on Google Finance to monitor the value of all of your shares. Free and easy.
    • fifikav
    • By fifikav 15th Mar 17, 7:15 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    fifikav
    Need help urgently with shareplan
    Good morning... help needed..

Had a shareplan with work saving £200 a month at .90 share option.
    Business has been bought out and share value now fixed @ 1.85..shares no longer on the market so 1.85 agreed.
    Had 4 batch dates with ybs ( last one being April 2017)
    Need my funds for various but serious reasons ...

Followed full process and ybs received my paperwork for March batch closure and payout. ( needed to be with them in the 3march).
    As I had heard nothing... called them and they said it would not be closed until April as it was better for me to do that and my company and ybs account manager had agreed that for all employees...
    A. This is my money and no advise has ever been offered or indeed given
    B. At no point has any communication been given from ybs or my company re this ?
    C.no one has ever reviewed my financial situation... it's a shareplan with agreed share value ?
    D. I have cancelled my salary payment to the shareplan( as per process) so how can I be better off... I am not stupid... needs must!

My company say they have sent no communication to rbs... the process and relevant documentation has not changed.
    Ybs are looking into my case...

I have spent all last night with an upset tummy and racing heart...

I need the money.... this is very serious to me...

Ybs are calling me back today and I have a complaints ref...

But I want my funds....?

And help on how to put together an email to them re my rights etc and how can I get my money... could potentially lose my house over this error ..

Sorry for the rant ... raging is not the word ?
    • Kriscross
    • By Kriscross 16th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kriscross
    I have some paper shares in a LSE listed company that I need to cash in
    Could do with some advice as to how to go about selling these and the cheapest way to do this as the value is less than £1k Also would I have any tax liability. I have held these shares for considerable time
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 16th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    • 3,071 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Option A: Walk in to your bank and see if they can/will sell the shares (depends if your bank provide dealing services). Dealing costs will be high(ish)

Option B: Look for an online broker with a relatively low dealing costs and no account closure fees.

I am assuming you don't have an online broker already? If you do then you could use these.

I am also assuming you do not wish to keep the online broker account open and running. If you are interested in retaining an online broker account then, in theory, you just need to look for a broker with the lowest dealing charges.

For example X-O (which I have) charge £5.95 to buy/sell but there is an account closure fee.

SVS XO (similar name but different company) charge £7.95 per trade but I believe they don't have an account closure fee.

If you decide you may wish to retain your online account then you need to be aware of accounts that charge a platform or inactivity fee. Neither of the above two do but a number do.

EDIT: There is a site to compare fund platforms where you can put in what you need to do, i.e. hold / sell one share holding and it should give you an idea of the costs involved. Might same some time/effort in googling different sites.
    Last edited by cloud_dog; 16-03-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,038Posts Today

7,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin