Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Myrtle
    • By Myrtle 7th Nov 07, 1:53 PM
    • 212Posts
    • 326Thanks
    Myrtle
    0 WOW
    Bindeez recalled
    • 7th Nov 07, 1:53 PM
    0 WOW
    Bindeez recalled 7th Nov 07 at 1:53 PM
    Bindeez toys are being withdrawn from sale (all those with little girls will know what I mean)
    Link to story here: http://http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/07/nxmas107.xml
Page 1
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 7th Nov 07, 1:56 PM
    • 12,602 Posts
    • 9,485 Thanks
    Poppycat
    • 7th Nov 07, 1:56 PM
    • 7th Nov 07, 1:56 PM
    Thanks link above doesn't work theres two http

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/07/nxmas107.xml

"A popular toy has been withdrawn from shops because of fears it may contain a potentially lethal hallucinogenic drug."

• Myrtle
    • By Myrtle 7th Nov 07, 1:57 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    Myrtle
    • 7th Nov 07, 1:57 PM
    • 7th Nov 07, 1:57 PM
    Thanks, I was in the middle of editing when it posted!
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 7th Nov 07, 2:01 PM
    • 12,602 Posts
    • 9,485 Thanks
    Poppycat
    • 7th Nov 07, 2:01 PM
    • 7th Nov 07, 2:01 PM
    Quiet disturbing what they may put in some toys, lead now lethal hallucinogenic drug, what next?

• Mollymop5
    • 7th Nov 07, 2:56 PM
    • 7th Nov 07, 2:56 PM
    My sil has just bought for my dd.I just sent her the link!!!!!!
    lost my way but now I'm back ! roll on 2013
    spc member 72

• normal
    • By normal 7th Nov 07, 3:10 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    normal
    • 7th Nov 07, 3:10 PM
    • 7th Nov 07, 3:10 PM
    Mattel have also withdrawn their Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn 2-in-1 Learning Kitchen. They weren't laughing when kids started choking on pieces. http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2206147,00.html
    • nicolarichard
    • By nicolarichard 7th Nov 07, 4:21 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    nicolarichard
    • 7th Nov 07, 4:21 PM
    • 7th Nov 07, 4:21 PM
    Thanks for the warning - i was hoping to get this for a xmas present (not now)
  • jorose
    • 7th Nov 07, 5:02 PM
    • 7th Nov 07, 5:02 PM
    i was going into town for this on friday because my son has it on top of his list, thanks
    Everytime a bell rings an angel his gets wings
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 7th Nov 07, 5:19 PM
    • 2,690 Posts
    • 3,335 Thanks
    jackomdj
    • 7th Nov 07, 5:19 PM
    • 7th Nov 07, 5:19 PM
    already have 2 bindeeze sets in the cupboard for Xmas - will be watching with interest!
  • Gondo
    Thanks for this info-I'd just ordered a Bindeez starter set from an Australian online store for delivery in Australia for family. I was able to ensure that they didn't dispatch parcel-and they have since emailed me to say that all products have now been recalled over there so they are not allowed to sell.

I'm also able to pass the details onto my dd friends mum as I bought a set for her birthday last week-I'd feel awful if anything untoward happened-I bought at Toys R Us but no longer have the receipt-I assume we're waiting to hear whether they will recall products over here?

Doesn't bode well for the 'cheap' China manufacturing with Polly Pocket (Mattel) earlier in the year and I realise I am so ignorant about how widespread the problem is-particularly as I don't set out to buy 'cheap' toys I just don't want to spend a packet BUT I DO want quality....
  • babybimbles
    Does anyone know if the UK are going to recall these sets too? It's my dd's favourite and she's just run out of beads so I need to go buy some more but I don't know now!! :confused:
  • babybimbles
    :confused: :confused: :confused: Strange but both Toys R US and Argos websites won't bring up any Bindeez sets - can someone re-confirm. It looks like they have been taken off their websites!!
  • babybimbles
    Boots.com too!
  • babybimbles
    :rolleyes: ah I see, just read this from the Telegraph article:

Character Group, which is listed on London's Aim, said: "Character Group believes that its stock of Bindeez products conforms to UK safety regulations.
    "However, the group has, as a precautionary safety measure, instructed an independent test laboratory and a EU toxicologist to immediately test and analyse the chemical composition of representative samples of the group's Bindeez stocks in order to fully satisfy as to their safety."
    In the meantime, the group has recommended all its customers to remove Bindeez products from their shelves. If the test results confirm fears, the group said it would immediately take steps to address the position.
  • teddy69
    Getting Replacement Bindeez Beads
    If you ring Character Online on 0161 633 9808 they will take your details down and send you a new safe batch of beads to replace the ones you have to throw away. Its very simple and they don't ask you to prove how many you have - well they didn't with me.

As far the new ones here's the blurb ... "As well as conforming to the original approved formula, the new beads will have an additional safety feature. They will be covered with Bitrex which is a safe solution which on contact with the mouth leaves an extremely bitter taste that is designed to dissuade children from placing the product in their mouth. (This is very similar to the product used to discourage nail biting)."

http://www.character-online.com/bindeez-QA/
  • ladysparklexx
    Thanks teddy for the phone number, I have twins and in my loft two of the bindeez sets from woolworths with 2500 beads in each put away for christmas, they also both have the normal set from argos with 800 beads half used. I just phoned up and they are sending replacement beads for all of them and didnt ask for confirmation, though I did offer. They will be here in the next 7 to 14 days.
    If you want the rainbow you have to go through the rain.

DMP start jan 2012 hopefull finish march 2020

Weight to loose 49lbs done of 91lbs finally sat in a pair of size 14 jeans and top for the first time in 14 years
  • YOUNGE1
    Hi

Phones are constantly engaged, but you can contact them by email:
    http://www.character-online.com/contact-us/
    • shazspice
    • By shazspice 10th Nov 07, 5:00 PM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 5,127 Thanks
    shazspice
    I bought one of these for my niece for her birthday next week. Can i take it back to argos as there is no point in me waiting till december for the replacement.
    How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard - Winnie the Pooh
  • ladysparklexx
    I bought one of these for my niece for her birthday next week. Can i take it back to argos as there is no point in me waiting till december for the replacement.
    Originally posted by shazspice
    If its unopened and you have proof of payment then just take it back and say you have changed your mind, or she already has one.
    If you want the rainbow you have to go through the rain.

DMP start jan 2012 hopefull finish march 2020

Weight to loose 49lbs done of 91lbs finally sat in a pair of size 14 jeans and top for the first time in 14 years
  • teresanvince
    i've just rang and my new beads will be here in 7-10 days
    Thanks alot for the info, i've bought one of the super deluxe centres for my neice for xmas.

teresa
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,377Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm signing off for the evening. Have a wonderful weekend and try and say something nice to someone who voted the other way to you!

• There's no crystal ball but if its the right house for you and you can afford the repayments - why not? https://t.co/3YMd7hTneJ

• RT @dylcojones: @MartinSLewis your video posted this morning gave me a bit of hope that things might be ok!

• Follow Martin