Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Tarostar
    Royal Mail 8 Internal Post Handling Fee scam?
    • 7th Nov 07, 11:59 AM
    Royal Mail 8 Internal Post Handling Fee scam? 7th Nov 07 at 11:59 AM
    This is very loosely paraphrased from my phonecall this morning to royal mail complains after I got done for a 8 "royal mail international handling fee". That, on top of, paying 4.97 duty/VAT on an order for 33. So a total of 13 with the added bonus of the parcel delivery being delayed and me having to pick it up myself (they do have other ways to pay and have it re-delivered but that would add even longer time to the delivery). If I hadn't paid the parcel would be returned to sender and they make it clear that if they get a return because the receiver declined to pay customs they will not refund.

I called their complaints department and was met by a very unsympathetic representative. He denied that holding the parcel was against any laws, and gave me a rubbish story about how they cannot trust in the goodness of people to pay if they deliver the parcel. I told him something to the effect that this was not a good reason to hold the parcel and both legaly and morally questionable as most companies do deliver goods and then charge the customer, and there are plenty of legal options to deal with non-paying "customers". He didn't really care and said royal mail was well within their rights to withold the parcel. Surely they are not as they are only a carrier, not a provider of goods and one that I didn't even choose to use at that!

I also argued that 8 was too much and mentioned that only recently it had been 4. He responded by saying that the 8 gave them zero profit and was purely to cover the cost of collecting the duty. He claimed royal mail was losing money when they were charging 4. I stated that this was hard to believe and if true then there is something very wrong with the procedure used to collect the duty as it must be possible to do it cheaper. Keep in mind I've already paid for the shipping when I made the order so the 8 does not include shipping.

He then said that revenue and customs had agreed this duty collection service from royal mail and I should complain to them if I don't like it. I then asked if this means that there are other ways to pay the duty fee without using royal mail and he confirmed no, there is not. When I then stated that this is a monopoly forcing me to pay the 8 handling fee on any international order, he retorted by saying that it was not a monopoly as customs had decided to use this service.

Well since I have no choice in paying customs and I have no choice to not use royal mail to do so, it IS a monopoly. When I told him so his response was to complain to the government.

There are others complaining about this as well, even one who claims they are breaking the law by breaking Section 104 and 105 of the Postal Services Act 2000. Link to that here: http://paulm.com/inchoate/2005/04/customs_royal_mail_clearance_scam.html

Anyone want to comment on what they think, or what they would do? If we don't make it clear that we won't let them rip us off like this then I'm sure they'll just keep raising the "handling" costs.
Page 35
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 13th Dec 16, 8:34 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Oh lawks, is this thread still running?
    And it aint gonna get any better. Once we fully BREXIT, there will be tax & duty on everything from every country.
    HMR&C must be rubbing their hands in gleee...
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 13th Dec 16, 1:48 PM
    • 7,190 Posts
    • 10,087 Thanks
    KxMx
    No terms have been discussed let alone agreed upon. For anything actually let alone Border Tariffs.

It may be in our interest and EU's interest to keep the status quo, or it may not.

No need for doom & gloom yet!
    • joncrel
    • By joncrel 11th Jan 17, 10:59 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    joncrel
    I just bought two items from the US, one costing approx 100$ the other 50$. The first was delivered by DHL, and incurred a customs charge of just under 4, which I paid online. The second came by USPS and Royal and incurred a charge of 1.92. But as it came via Royal Mail I had to pay their 8 fee on top making it 9.92.

Royal Mail also recently moved their parcel collect from the city centre to an industrial park 5 miles out (which also has very limited parking).

I know which commercial courier service I'll be using in the future...
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 11th Jan 17, 11:03 AM
    • 555 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    Royal Mail there house there rules, if you don't like it you are free to shop elsewhere.
    Respect your postal worker.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Jan 17, 11:24 AM
    • 32,697 Posts
    • 27,427 Thanks
    custardy
    I just bought two items from the US, one costing approx 100$ the other 50$. The first was delivered by DHL, and incurred a customs charge of just under 4, which I paid online. The second came by USPS and Royal and incurred a charge of 1.92. But as it came via Royal Mail I had to pay their 8 fee on top making it 9.92.

Royal Mail also recently moved their parcel collect from the city centre to an industrial park 5 miles out (which also has very limited parking).

I know which commercial courier service I'll be using in the future...
    Originally posted by joncrel
    A whole 5 miles?
    How far away is the DHL depot?
    You do know you can RM online too?
    • Mercury RV
    • By Mercury RV 23rd May 17, 9:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mercury RV
    The one thing that is being forgotten here is that the agreement with USPS is a reciprocal agreement, if you post something from the UK to the USA, then USPS deliver it without any other charges, Parcelfarce get PAID by USPS, as USPS get paid by Royal Mail if you send something from the UK. The charges levied by Parcelfarce are shall we say questionable, after all that is what a reciprocal agreement is all about, each party gets paid for their service, that's why you pay USPS. The goods are your property NOT Parcelfarce. If we have goods sent from the USA, we will always ALWAYS try to get it delivered by anyone else other than them. As someone else said, UPS handle it and charge the import duty and VAT, not a problem, that is what the charges are all about up front, this 8 fee is just an add on by Parcelfarce. What makes it worse is they just don't even do a good job. Case in point, we had a parcel arrive from Montana USA on shall we say the 1st of the month, we heard nothing from Parcelforce for 16 days, not until we checked it with USPS in the USA, they then tracked it and found it was still sitting in the Parcelforce depot, we had to contact them and pay the tax and duty PLUS their fee before they delivered it, another 4 days later. So again this is an agreement they have with USPS to deliver the packages, that is what they are paid by USPS for, so the extra charge is just an add on, is that justified?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 24th May 17, 6:29 AM
    • 32,697 Posts
    • 27,427 Thanks
    custardy
    The one thing that is being forgotten here is that the agreement with USPS is a reciprocal agreement, if you post something from the UK to the USA, then USPS deliver it without any other charges, Parcelfarce get PAID by USPS, as USPS get paid by Royal Mail if you send something from the UK. The charges levied by Parcelfarce are shall we say questionable, after all that is what a reciprocal agreement is all about, each party gets paid for their service, that's why you pay USPS. The goods are your property NOT Parcelfarce. If we have goods sent from the USA, we will always ALWAYS try to get it delivered by anyone else other than them. As someone else said, UPS handle it and charge the import duty and VAT, not a problem, that is what the charges are all about up front, this 8 fee is just an add on by Parcelfarce. What makes it worse is they just don't even do a good job. Case in point, we had a parcel arrive from Montana USA on shall we say the 1st of the month, we heard nothing from Parcelforce for 16 days, not until we checked it with USPS in the USA, they then tracked it and found it was still sitting in the Parcelforce depot, we had to contact them and pay the tax and duty PLUS their fee before they delivered it, another 4 days later. So again this is an agreement they have with USPS to deliver the packages, that is what they are paid by USPS for, so the extra charge is just an add on, is that justified?
    Originally posted by Mercury RV
    Great post. However that 'reciprocal agreement' is for postal charges,not customs fees/costs.
    By your argument clearance should be free across the globe.
    Though I will agree,the UK customs allowance are far too low.
    Last edited by custardy; 24-05-2017 at 6:36 AM.
    • Disc84
    • By Disc84 11th Aug 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Disc84
    Duties and Vat are charged by HMRC. Royal mail set their own fees for handling which means a compliant to HMRC will serve no purpose, tgey will refer ypu back to RM.
    i occasionaly choose standard post and always get stung by this.
    When i decide to pay for courier delivery the hamdling fee is ibcluded in the price so its just the import duties and vat to pay. Most operators deluver the parcel and a note with how to pay. FedEx are very good for this. You know exactly what you are paying and to whom you are paying it. Quite often the cheap or free shipping isnt necessarily the cheapest option wjen you add the 8 fee on
    • willy scam
    • By willy scam 7th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    willy scam
    post scam ?
    this might not be a postage scam > because the distributors who return your goods some of them don't pay the full international air mail cost so you'll get nailed by customs & post office (commercial plus price ? ) ( freight post ? ) whatever this means thats what was stamped on my package & i got stung for almost 14.00 pounds 6 customs 8.00 post office handling fees - anybody got a clue ?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Sep 17, 5:42 PM
    • 59,490 Posts
    • 42,183 Thanks
    soolin
    this might not be a postage scam > because the distributors who return your goods some of them don't pay the full international air mail cost so you'll get nailed by customs & post office (commercial plus price ? ) ( freight post ? ) whatever this means thats what was stamped on my package & i got stung for almost 14.00 pounds 6 customs 8.00 post office handling fees - anybody got a clue ?
    Originally posted by willy scam
    sorry, I can't follow your post at all - the postage method doesn't make any difference to whether or not tax and duty is payable in the UK.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 7th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    pogofish
    t - anybody got a clue ?
    Originally posted by willy scam
    Yes, read the thread.

Also, the method needed to defuse the charges completely has already been posted here, so there is simly no excuse for getting moany about being stung.
    • uguay
    • By uguay 28th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    uguay
    Amazon Import Fees Deposit
    Hi,

Sorry, haven't read the whole thread but have a related query someone might be able to help me with.

I've been stung with this duty situation and the 8 RM processing fee before, and so am naturally feeling cautious.

Basically, I wish to order some trainers via amazon which would be coming from the US. Amazon says they want to apply a 'Import Fees Deposit' which is an estimate of the likely fees applicable, which the carrier will use to pay fees on my behalf, and if the fees are actually less - they will refund the difference in due course, but I will not be charged anything higher than the estimated deposit to be deducted. The amount they want to apply is 6.74, and as this is less than RM's exorbitant 8 handling fee alone, I'm concerned I still might get the card through the door from RM demanding more money prior to delivery on top.

Does anyone have any experience of this particular situation?
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 28th Sep 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Nilrem
    IIRC the Amazon "import fees deposit" is a way they arrange for the fees to be paid out of a holding account and thus it should avoid the handling fee.
    Basically they've worked out the likely tax and if you agree to use their service you shouldn't (in theory) get the handling fee, just probably pay the tax out of the extra money you've paid them (any left over gets refunded to you).

I'm guessing you're looking at using their expedited shipping or similar, which from memory often uses DHL to get to the UK.
    • uguay
    • By uguay 29th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    uguay
    Ok, that's very good to know, having read around it wasn't clear whether the handling fee would still be applicable, it seems some folks have subsequently still had the dreaded card through the letterbox, and then had varying degrees of success claiming that amount back from amazon, who often seem to reply with a standard (fairly non-sequitur) email. I think I'll just take a chance.

The item comes with an 8.15 delivery charge, which isn't the most express option, but I wasn't thinking of upgrading as I'm not in a rush. I assume that wouldn't make any difference as to the applicability of the handling fee, or are you saying that may it vary from carrier to carrier?
    Last edited by uguay; 29-09-2017 at 2:47 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,066Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin