Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • blue_haddock
    • By blue_haddock 5th Nov 07, 8:27 AM
    • 11,761 Posts
    • 18,423 Thanks
    blue_haddock
    • 5th Nov 07, 8:27 AM
    • 5th Nov 07, 8:27 AM
    What engine is it? The price will also depend on if the dual mass fly wheel needs changing at the same time too.
  • COPPERHEADJACK
    • 5th Nov 07, 11:02 AM
    • 5th Nov 07, 11:02 AM
    Its a 2.0
    how much do you recon it will cost if it needs all that doing.
    My Mission today is to have an opinion on everything.
    If you don't like it well you will just have to lump it!
    • harveybobbles
    • By harveybobbles 5th Nov 07, 12:25 PM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    harveybobbles
    • 5th Nov 07, 12:25 PM
    • 5th Nov 07, 12:25 PM
    Clutch it's self should be this side of 100 quid.
    Main cost will be the labour.
    Then, as pointed out above, while the 'box is opened, could it be worth dropping in a DMF too...?
  • COPPERHEADJACK
    • 5th Nov 07, 12:31 PM
    • 5th Nov 07, 12:31 PM
    Is that something to do with cylinders or valves or something.
    As you can see I don't know what I'm on about.
    So it shouldn't cost me £500?
    • harveybobbles
    • By harveybobbles 5th Nov 07, 12:48 PM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    harveybobbles
    • 5th Nov 07, 12:48 PM
    • 5th Nov 07, 12:48 PM
    DMF - dual mass flywheel...

http://www.apsw.co.uk/
  • like-saving-money
    • 6th Nov 07, 10:27 PM
    • 6th Nov 07, 10:27 PM
    is it the 2ltr V6 ? if so on ebay there is a company called SMC (MG Rover dealers) and they sell an original MG Rover 3 piece clutch kit for £60 my local Ex rover dealer quoted me £250 just for the clutch kit so if it is the V6 model it is worth buying it and then getting a quote for fitting as it will be a hell of a lot cheaper

link to the V6

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-400-45-MG-ZS-V6-Original-Complete-Clutch-NEW-A3_W0QQitemZ130169120129QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10414QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

might be worth having a word on here too: http://forums.mg-rover.org/
  • COPPERHEADJACK
    • 9th Nov 07, 10:17 AM
    • 9th Nov 07, 10:17 AM
    thanks you I will have a look at that now.
  • qprdude
    • 11th Feb 09, 2:56 PM
    • 11th Feb 09, 2:56 PM
    If you need the Dual Mass Flywheel, (recommended) the parts alone will cost well over £400. Some quotes are as high as £800 plus. Not changing the DMF can be penny wise and pound foolish.
    If you get a quote of £500, which included changing the DMF, bite his hand off.
    Last edited by qprdude; 11-02-2009 at 2:58 PM.
    • billy 1
    • By billy 1 12th Feb 09, 7:25 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    billy 1
    i had a 75 clutch go, first garage quoted £950:confused: shopped around and got it done for £500 are u anywhere near Preston ???????????? Also got slave cylinder done as well apparantly thats in the bell housing operating the clutch!
    • Keith
    • By Keith 12th Feb 09, 7:37 PM
    • 2,805 Posts
    • 1,797 Thanks
    Keith
    If you need the Dual Mass Flywheel, (recommended) the parts alone will cost well over £400. Some quotes are as high as £800 plus. Not changing the DMF can be penny wise and pound foolish.
    If you get a quote of £500, which included changing the DMF, bite his hand off.
    Originally posted by qprdude
    I'm sure the OP is still sat at his PC waiting for an answer to his thread that he posted in November 2007!!!
  • MrSmartprice
    I'm sure the OP is still sat at his PC waiting for an answer to his thread that he posted in November 2007!!!
    Originally posted by Keith

It's a Rover!:rolleyes: Chances are it's gone in the crusher by now.
    • rogertb
    • By rogertb 19th Feb 09, 12:52 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    rogertb
    I had a clutch replaced by Mr Clutch a couple of months ago, it's been 'juddering' on and off since then (but never when I take it back to Mr Clutch, until today, they reckon it's probably not the clutch but the dm flywheel and that when they take the box out if it's the clutch it'll be covered by the guarantee if it's the dmf I'll have to pay - I feel like I'm over a barrel, the car's not worth spending money on .... any thoughts anyone please. Roger
  • gnsanders
    Rover 75 clutch
    I had my clutch replaced some years ago @ 124,000 miles and the slave was replaced at the same time (the slave is in side the bell housing so the labour to replace the slave would be the same as replacing the clutch, but no extra labour if it was done at the same time). Mine was never perfect, but couldn't be bothered taking it back. It's still exactly the same now and I'm on 217,000 miles.

There's always a debate about whether the dual mass flywheel should be replaced - perhaps you can look on google under Rover 75 forum :- a nicer bunch of anoraks you couldn't hope to meet.
  • youngiuk01
    rover 76 clutch
    my name is tony machanic and garage owner,

clutch £98
    Slave cylinder £125 recomend changing
    DMF duel mass flywheel £290 (recomend changing as an expensive job if goes wrong soon after if you didnt change i would have you sign a waiver)
    6 hours labour @ £30 per (hour my rate) £180

total £693

so if you were quoted £500 no DMF fitted or crap parts cheap imports
    always go to a garage regestard with trading standards as they have been veted
  • youngiuk01
    defo the DMF should have changed when box was out they should have advised this but lets face it most of the people that work there are all monkeys
    go to a proper garage with trained and qualified mechanics, use a garage that is registard with the trading standards

tony
    machanic 22 years garage owner 5 years

I had a clutch replaced by Mr Clutch a couple of months ago, it's been 'juddering' on and off since then (but never when I take it back to Mr Clutch, until today, they reckon it's probably not the clutch but the dm flywheel and that when they take the box out if it's the clutch it'll be covered by the guarantee if it's the dmf I'll have to pay - I feel like I'm over a barrel, the car's not worth spending money on .... any thoughts anyone please. Roger
    Originally posted by rogertb
  • pinklady5454
    Hi my ROVER 75 1.8 tourer 2003
    IS NOT MOVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GOES IN ALL GEARS BUT NOTHING UNTIL REV HIGH THEN CREAPS ALONG.
    I believe will be clutch Im in Wandsworth London
    garage quoted me £600 for clutch and slave cylinder. tow and courtesy car.
    is this ok, no mention of flywheel.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,201Posts Today

6,235Users online

Martin's Twitter