Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > I want to paint some pine bedroom furniture (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
I want to paint some pine bedroom furniture
Closed Thread
Views: 68,631
# 1
cuffie
Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default I want to paint some pine bedroom furniture

I just want to know what the best effect would be. I want it to look like I have bought it, already painted, and not that I've just done a quick makeover on it!! I would like an antique cream (but not a distressed look - just plain). I don't want it to be glossy, but then not too matt looking either. I have 2 bedside cabinets, and 2 chest of drawers. They are very dated and I've had them for about 15 years, but I cannot afford to get new furniture.

Thanks.
x
# 2
emg
Old 05-11-2007, 6:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have just painted a chest of drawers using crown period eggshell Old English White. It's a very soft cream colour and looks matt with only a slight sheen when you look on it from an angle. I did a coat of primer, one of undercoat and then two of the cream and I gave it a good sand to start with and then lightly sanded between each coat. I used a good brush - I tried rollering it but I got a better finish with the brush. I'm really pleased with how it looks as it doesnt look home-painted at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to emg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
rockie4
Old 05-11-2007, 8:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've used Dulux satinwood with great success on a pine bedding box and chair, I used a gloss roller and the finish is fabulous!
The Following User Says Thank You to rockie4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ashli
Old 05-11-2007, 9:33 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I did this to all my bedroom furniture. I bought mismatched furniture second hand and painted it all up to match. It looks wonderful, it turned out better than I had hoped it would. I used Homebase Quick drying Satinwood in powderpuff, I wouldn't normally recommend cheaper paint but this one was brilliant. Water based too so no faffing around with white spirit.

A quick sand down, more if the furniture is shiny. I didn't use a primer but had to do a good few coats of paint...using a primer first might well be cheaper. I found that the paint by itself own chipped easily so I finished off with a couple of coats of clear satin varnish.

It is a bit labour intensive but the results really are worth it. Everybody who has seen it can never believe that it isn't a matching set, or that it isn't new. It's one of my best moneysaving efforts, a 'new' set of solid wood matching bedroom furniture for £50 tops.
Total Original Debt: £30404.24
Current debt: £18586.16
Total Paid: £11857.74 38.95%
The Following User Says Thank You to ashli For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Peartree
Old 05-11-2007, 7:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I' d painted a full set of 'modern' pine furniture and it came out very nicely. I sanded to break down the laquer finish, then used a coat of primer, then two coats of eggshell paint. I used a gloss roller, but that only works well on the 'flat bits', if you have moulding, etc, a brush is better. Several very thin coats is better than thick ones. I did go for a more antiqued finish so used an antique wax over the top.

The finish is absolutely fine several months later. It is a great way to update old or cheap 'orange' looking pine furniture.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peartree For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread