Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Over 50s Money Saving > Winter Fuel allowance over 60 (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Winter Fuel allowance over 60
Closed Thread
Views: 30,537
# 1
Lawnmower Man
Old 02-09-2003, 9:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Winter Fuel allowance over 60

If I understand correctly anybody over 60 can claim the above allowance.

It is not means tested - you are 60 or over then claim it - even millionaires.

Ring 08459 151515 or http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/winterfuel/

The quote from website is asfollows

Quote:
What is it?
A Winter Fuel Payment is a one-off payment to help older people with their winter heating bills.

Do I qualify?
To get a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2003/2004 you need to be 60 or over in the qualifying week of 15 - 21 September 2003 and normally living in Great Britain or Northern Ireland in that week. However, some people cannot get a Winter Fuel Payment.

Payments may continue if you leave or have left Great Britain or Northern Ireland. For more information, see our section on Winter Fuel Payments for people living in the European Economic Area or Switzerland .

People who cannot get a Winter Fuel Payment
You will not be able to get a payment if, during the qualifying week:

you are in hospital receiving free in-patient treatment and have been receiving that treatment for more than 52 weeks

your partner is getting Minimum Income Guarantee, paid through Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, and is entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment for both of you

you are in custody under sentence

you are subject to immigration control and not eligible for help from the Department for Work and Pensions. For example, an asylum seeker who claimed asylum at the port of entry after 3 April 2000

you are living in a care home and have been doing so throughout that week and the previous 12 weeks and get help with your costs through the Minimum Income Guarantee paid through Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance. Care homes include residential care homes, nursing homes, local authority residential accommodation and Ilford Park Polish Resettlement Home.
Hopes this helps -I am off to tell my father.

LM
# 2
hutchie
Old 03-09-2003, 12:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Re: Winter Fuel allowance over 60

In many cases this is paid automatically but it is better to check.
# 3
Lawnmower Man
Old 03-09-2003, 5:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quite right but my father did not get it last year which is why it caught my attention.

You always here much unclaimed benefits there are.

LM
# 4
Old 15-09-2003, 12:52 AM

I qualify for the allowance this year. The form came automatically and I am told to expect the cash in November.
# 5
flossie
Old 25-01-2004, 5:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You need to apply before the deadline of 31 March!!! We found out about this allowance by a chance remark made by a friend, unfortunately after that date last year. We did apply and were told it would be refused but we could appeal. We have now been through the appeal process and still refused. Apparently people on any kind of benefit or state pension receive this automatically (we got it for this year) but the onus is on the individual to find out what you're entitled to. So basically if you still work even though you're 60+, you need to apply for it. There was no deadline in previous years, so if you qualified but didn't claim, your application will probably be successful. I think this is grossly unfair but it seems there you go. How many other people are entitled to benefits and don't get them because they're not already in the system? Huh!
# 6
Fran
Old 26-01-2004, 2:46 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I just had a look at the website from the first post and the actual date is 30th March (see quote from website below):

"All claims for winter 2003/2004 must be received by 30 March 2004."

(Not that one day should make that much difference unless you're really cutting it fine!)
# 7
klondyke
Old 26-01-2004, 6:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You need to get divorced ;D as only one of married couple gets it :'(
# 8
flossie
Old 27-01-2004, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yeah my apologies for getting the date wrong. I was just coming on to amend it to 30 March! I wouldn't be too sure about one day late being OK! Our situation is that my husband took early retirement so doesn't get state pension or any kind of benefit so he's not on the system. By the time we found out about this the deadline had passed - tough luck. The response to our appeal was that there was a computer discrepancy between the department's records and the electoral roll - I know for sure we're on the electoral register therefore their records must be wrong - bottom line is we're penalised for their computer records. I could go on about this all day - sorry. Noticed David Davis MP reminding people to claim, quoting a case identical to ours. Question is, who gets the dosh earmarked for all the 60+ people its aimed at.
# 9
Smiley_Mum
Old 17-03-2004, 3:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Wow, Gordon Brown has just announced that this year the over 70s will get an extra 100 in their winter fuel allowance and over 80s will get an extra 200. !

Surely you can still apply if you are after the 30th March deadline, it's just that you don't get your payment when the bulk of them go out. My mam's friend applied and she was late in putting in her application but she will still get it.
# 10
flossie
Old 17-03-2004, 11:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smiley Mum the deadline is absolutely the 30th March for people who don't get the application form automatically i.e. those not in receipt of state pension or other benefits. Although most people aged 60 on a certain date (I've forgotten it at the moment) are eligible for this, the onus is on those not in receipt of pension/benefits to find out about the benefit, obtain an application form and get it in by 30/3. I have personal experience of this process; it even went to appeal, and they are not budging > I understand this deadline has just been introduced (I think last year) so people can claim for previous years but not last year (and presumably subsequent years). The person I know was refused for the first year they became eligible, but got it for this current winter and will get it automatically in future, now he's on the records.

Perhaps your friend got the form automatically or received the payment in previous years? If not, I'd be delighted to know more about it ...

SO, to anyone who is eligible for the first time and not getting state pension/benefits, GET THE FORM IN FAST.
# 11
Smiley_Mum
Old 18-03-2004, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Surely you can still apply if you are after the 30th March deadline, it's just that you don't get your payment when the bulk of them go out. My mam's friend applied and she was late in putting in her application but she will still get it.
Apologies, Flossie, I should've typed -

but will she still get it, not she will still get it, sorry.

I've just taken a read of the site and it looks unlikely she will get it. This was her first year of applying so it'll be like it was in your case. Sorry.

Also the extra cash for the pensioners is for covering the Council Tax, talk about giving it to you with one hand and taking it away with the other.
# 12
Fran
Old 18-03-2004, 2:56 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Smiley_Mum - Which year are you talking about applying for? If s/he was over 60 in the qualifying week of 15th -21st September 2003, the deadline for winter just gone is 30th March, ie still time to apply.
# 13
The_Nickster
Old 18-03-2004, 12:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:

Also the extra cash for the pensioners is for covering the Council Tax, talk about giving it to you with one hand and taking it away with the other. !
More a case of taking it away with one hand and giving it back with the other.

One of the problems with Council Tax and OAP's is that many OAP's will not or just do not claim. If friends and relatives persuade OAP's and help with the forms then this problem will mostly disappear.

An alternative would be to replace Council Tax with a Local Income Tax and given that the Income Tax system already exists a lot of the local council bureaucracy and form filling will just disappear.
# 14
flossie
Old 18-03-2004, 8:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:

Apologies, Flossie, I should've typed -

but will she still get it, not she will still get it, sorry.

I've just taken a read of the site and it looks unlikely she will get it. !This was her first year of applying so it'll be like it was in your case. !Sorry.

Also the extra cash for the pensioners is for covering the Council Tax, talk about giving it to you with one hand and taking it away with the other. !
Nae prob, Smiley Mum - I just sensed an opportunity to do battle with them again, but it's probably better for my blood pressure this way! Hope your friend's lucky - Fran is absolutely right, if she's applying for this year and gets it in before 30 March, it will be paid (November I believe).
# 15
margaretclare
Old 09-10-2004, 5:53 PM

Quote:
You need to get divorced ;D as only one of married couple gets it !:'(
This isn't true. Instead of one of the couple getting 200, you get 100 each.

Margaret
# 16
Robert_Sterling
Old 16-10-2004, 1:50 AM

There is an annual payment of the winter full alliance.
It was 10 per annum.
New Labour I think made it 100 per year
and for a couple 200 per year.
This year, and in good time before a probable election next year, there is an ADITIONAL 100 to compensate for increases in council tax i believe.
So for one year only it is 200 for one person living alone and 300 for two people living together if they satisfy the age criteria.

# 17
Nytehawk
Old 02-08-2006, 8:43 PM

Hi Oh Wise ones........... I don't know if I am following this thread correctly. My wife is 61 has been turned down for DLA and unable to get a pension because I aged 52 still work and she hasn' put in enough NI. We live in our own little semi det home. Can my wife still claim winter fuel allowance, if so when is she eligible from.. Thanks in advance:confused:
# 18
margaretclare
Old 02-08-2006, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondyke
You need to get divorced ;D as only one of married couple gets it :'(
No, in fact that's not true.

We get half each i.e. 100 drops into both our bank accounts.

Margaret Clare
# 19
grilli
Old 02-08-2006, 10:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdamansport
Hi Oh Wise ones........... I don't know if I am following this thread correctly. My wife is 61 has been turned down for DLA and unable to get a pension because I aged 52 still work and she hasn' put in enough NI. We live in our own little semi det home. Can my wife still claim winter fuel allowance, if so when is she eligible from.. Thanks in advance:confused:
I worked for winter fuuel for 4 years. Yes your wife can qualify for a winter fuel payment in fact she could have qualified last winter if she's now 61. ring the helpline on 08459 15 15 15 to register her claim.
The Following User Says Thank You to grilli For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Nytehawk
Old 03-08-2006, 7:17 PM

Thanks Grilli my wife contacted the helpline today and she was given some good news and it was welcome after being turned down for DLA and put through the mill with it as well so once again a BIG THANK YOU
Closed Thread