Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Can i sell my house to the council? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can i sell my house to the council?
Closed Thread
Views: 42,829
# 1
BrightIs
Old 03-11-2007, 8:40 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Lightbulb Can i sell my house to the council?

hi all,

i'm having problems selling my home. ie. getting people looking at the place. seeing as the country's population who are dependant on the welfare state is increasing, the council must surely need more homes to house these people.

is there a specific department i can contact in the council that deals with buying homes?

anyone sold there place to the council?
# 2
zebidee1
Old 03-11-2007, 9:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

On a more serious note........I suspect different councils will have different policies so you would really need to check with your own local one.....but our council will (depending on their stock levels which are quite low just now since so many people bought their council house) rent a private house out to tenants as if it were their own and maintain it etc whilst paying you rent in the process. Maybe you could consider this as an option?

Of course this depends on council need, the size of the house, where it is etc.

They have also in the past, bought back properties that were previously council owned but I have no idea if any other type of privately owned house would be considered or not.

As I said, not all councils have the same policies so you'd be best contacting yours directly just to query. It never hurts to ask even if the answer is no. I'm sure the switchboard will direct you to the correct department.

Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 10-05-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
The Following User Says Thank You to zebidee1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
PasturesNew
Old 03-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I think, in some instances, individual housing associations may be interested in buying houses from people.... however, if they were really interested they'd have registered that interest with estate agents already I'd have thought.

I think you'd have more chance contacting local housing associations.

But don't hold out much hope.

If your house isn't selling then try dropping the price. After all, even if you did find a "nice easy sell" with a housing association type of organisation, it wouldn't be at the optimistic price your estate agent flew yours into the market with.
The Following User Says Thank You to PasturesNew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 03-11-2007, 10:44 AM

Agree with PN ...... pretty sure that most Councils are looking to offload any existing housing they have (if it's not already sold under RTB), rather than take on any more.

The shift is towards payment of HB rather than provision of housing, which is horrendously expensive and troublesome to maintain.
# 5
A Nice Englishman
Old 03-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If the OP could post a link to his/her house on Rightmove or the estate agent's website I'm sure people will comment on why it's not attracting any viewers.
You can find any answers you want on the Internet.It's working out which ones are right that is so difficult.
# 6
brazilianwax
Old 03-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasturesNew View Post
I think, in some instances, individual housing associations may be interested in buying houses from people.... however, if they were really interested they'd have registered that interest with estate agents already I'd have thought.

I think you'd have more chance contacting local housing associations.

But don't hold out much hope.

If your house isn't selling then try dropping the price. After all, even if you did find a "nice easy sell" with a housing association type of organisation, it wouldn't be at the optimistic price your estate agent flew yours into the market with.
I did this when I was looking to sell. They asked what it had been valued at, and then offered me exactly half.

It sold within 2 days so I didn't give it much thought, but don't expect the HA route to be at market value
MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly

Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5

# 7
seven-day-weekend
Old 03-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Most councils are dumping their housing stock, not taking on more, although sometimes they will lease your house to rent to tenants.

I don't think you have much of a chance really.

Have you been told why no-one is interested in your house? Usually it's because they are priced too highly.
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
The Following User Says Thank You to seven-day-weekend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
*Louise*
Old 03-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My place is on the market, and I had a buyer for the council view it the other day, I didn't contact them though, they were registered with my local EA, who referred my place to them.

Our council can't get any more land to build on, so they are buying a lot of properties...every area will be different...
Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
2012 170-194 2013 195-201. Irish Blessing 202.'Sheena' 203.To the moon and back 204.AMBER 205.VIV 206.Nativity Poem 207.Hello Kitty 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm Cards x 24
Closed Thread