Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 83
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 27th Jun 17, 6:17 AM
    • 6,191 Posts
    • 19,124 Thanks
    Doc N
    I get on well with my neighbours. I like them, and I trust them. But sharing an internet connection is one step too far.

There are security implications here which could rebound horribly on the person sharing the connection, and it's something I'd urge extreme caution over.

Personally, I'd not do it under any circumstances. Far too risky.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 28th Jun 17, 1:39 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Yes that has all be said before

It is not for everyone
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • clivep
    • By clivep 28th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    clivep
    That demonstrated my point, offering stuff people do not need and then calling it value. Those call features are pretty much standard for VoIP.

£27 a month is a different league, compared to the £61 a YEAR, I paid Sky.

I would say it is fibre but although they call it faster fibre it is in fact inferior in every way

"TalkTalk’s Faster Fibre up to 38Mb v BT‘s Infinity 1 up to 52Mb*"

For other ISP's faster means 76mb and slower means 52mb while TT offers 38mb, calling something faster when it is in fact slower is as oxymoronic as it gets!

It is of course easy to give you £110 when they take £486 from you, which results in £20.88 a month for 38mb compared with BT who recently offered £19.57 net of £125 cashback for 76mb and a need to only commit for 12 months.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    We live within the Leeds outer ring road but can only dream of getting above 5mb! The distance to the Seacroft exchange means we're lucky if we get 4mb. According to Openreach ours is an EO line meaning we are not connected to a local cabinet and there is a zero chance of getting fibre within the foreseeable future.

Our 12 month Sky deal came to an end yesterday. The £60 odd for the year was good value for line rental + broadband but their call charges weren't cheap and adding the Sky Talk Anytime extra would have been an additional £8 per month. I'm not that bothered about other extras but I was surprised that they charge an extra £1.25 per month for voicemail. Consequently we've been using a mobile for the few outgoing calls we make (with Asda PAYG for making calls at 8p/min).

I've just signed up for a new 12 month line rental/broadband Talk Talk contract at £20 per month. TopCashBack will be paying out £110 so it works out at £10.83 per month. Voicemail is free. You also get the free essential sim (200 mins/unlimited texts/500MB data per month). In my view this makes it the best deal around at the moment but never seems to feature on the MSE's best buys.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 28th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    I have a lot of sympathy for your speed issues, I have family members and friends who can only get 0.5mb unless they go fibre, I have always felt that if any ISP can't provide at least 50% of what they promote as max rate (17mb) they should be forced to supply fibre at the same price they are promoting ADSL for anywhere in the Country.

MSE will only promote TalkTalk if they make a commission, that is how this site is funded,except they try to split the commission with consumers by offering special deals

TalkTalk get a lot of flak from unhappy customers on here so maybe that is why

They must be nuts because I think MSE has close to 10 million members so is a lost opportunity for TalkTalk.

Sadly my experience of not being paid out with TopCashBack means I will never use them and I will never use TalkTalk because not only do they allow themselves to hacked (twice) but they barter with your data allowing it to be shared with anyone who joined their data sharing club, without your permission and without opt out.

Some people are fine with this, I am not.

On top of that is poor service, call centres from 3 different countries, 2 of which are obnoxious in my experience.

Still I wish you luck and thanks for updating the thread for others that may feel they can risk dealing with TalkTalk.
    • Lifes Grand Plan
    • By Lifes Grand Plan 28th Jun 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    Lifes Grand Plan
    Has anyone signed up to the PlusNet deal that is in the e-mail this week? As I went through the sign-up process the £75 cashback was never mentioned again beyond the initial banner showing it. I wondered if thats the case for everyone else?
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
    • stewartjrl
    • By stewartjrl 29th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stewartjrl
    Almost impossible task
    Read any independent review page and it's virtually impossible to find anything that people are satisfied with. This would appear to be the case especially with your suggested cheapest option of Origin who have generated some hideous customer comments. I've been with TalkTalk for some time, more through lack of choice than any other reason, but I have to say their broadband is more than good enough for a household of three users including two teenagers who can use the WiFi for hours a day. Line rental and extra call charges I despair of but of course one has to have the former but we don't use the landline phone often enough to warrant having a deal. We're going to see every company continuing to raise costs on everything in this country for some time so if one's relatively content with a service there are few good reasons to waste hours trying to hunt down another deal of unknown outcome.
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 29th Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    loulou41
    Having thought about it carefully I do not think it is worth the hassle of sharing. It is better to have a good relationships rather than falling out later on.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 30th Jun 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Has anyone signed up to the PlusNet deal that is in the e-mail this week? As I went through the sign-up process the £75 cashback was never mentioned again beyond the initial banner showing it. I wondered if thats the case for everyone else?
    Originally posted by Lifes Grand Plan
    My email did NOT say £75 cash back.

Record your process from beginning to end with Jing, it is free albeit 5 mins at a time, but you can pause or create several videos and combine them in Camtasia later. Camtasia itself can be used to record, but if you have a 30 day eval you need to be ready to create your video quickly and keep it ready. (or setup Camtasia each time in a VM you do not update - making sure ALL the files are saved externally).

Also record all URL's that you visit through the process and save each page.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 30th Jun 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Having thought about it carefully I do not think it is worth the hassle of sharing. It is better to have a good relationships rather than falling out later on.
    Originally posted by loulou41
    I understand, you have to have the right kind of relationship with the neighbour and be like minded about being ripped off.

The best neighbour for me to connect to has fibre at 78mb, I piggy back on their network anyway via Fon and get 7mb up and down for some activity at times but it is variable (probably on their usage)

Last edited by DavidP24; 30-06-2017 at 9:34 AM.
    • Mikeymojo
    • By Mikeymojo 30th Jun 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mikeymojo
    I'm looking for fibre broadband and wondered if anyone has any experience of the new fixed deals from talktalk which seem to be good value given that the set up etc is included.
    Also, the 'Now TV' deals look appealing.
    Anybody know?
    • Bevsheppard26
    • By Bevsheppard26 30th Jun 17, 11:08 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bevsheppard26
    Sky broadband £10 a month including line rental.
    We switched to sky broadband in march. The deal was £5 set up fee then £10 a month, but also came a £50 credit so you don't actually pay anything for 5 months! It's a 12 month contract. But like I said we switched in march so I don't know if the same deal is still available, but worth a look.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 30th Jun 17, 12:14 PM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    csgohan4
    if your contract is finishing in 6-18 weeks for broadband, can you get a new provider like BT to start after your minimum contract ends for example? or do they have a maximum time period to install?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 30th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    I'm looking for fibre broadband and wondered if anyone has any experience of the new fixed deals from talktalk which seem to be good value given that the set up etc is included.
    Also, the 'Now TV' deals look appealing.
    Anybody know?
    Originally posted by Mikeymojo
    Check Topcashback and quidco, the deals change often, check the terms, record your signup with jing, do not use adblock or cookie blocker etc

Nothing Sly is appealing for long, NowTv box has been gutted of Dev mode so I will never use them again on principle, it was that kind of behaviour that made me kick Sky to the curb after 14 years as a customer. I have saved £5k on Sky alone since and very pleased.

I started to use NowTV a bit and Plex on a few devices, I have had to bin those for now and buy Roku. It was such a dumb decision because NowTV can no longer advertise to me, I used to have to pass them when I loaded Plex and did take up a few short term offers.

Now they are blind to me and the bad will they have generated for their brand is huge, many addons were used by dev mode, some for USB, I saw some saying disability add ons.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 15th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 6,191 Posts
    • 19,124 Thanks
    Doc N
    Thanks for that anactuary person
    The "advertised speed" for TT's normal broadband is 17mb and for their fibre-optic is 38mb - so I was hoping to get more than 2mb out of it. But when I think about it - 2mb would be DOUBLE than my actual 1mb is at the moment - so at least that part of the conversation would be right

I'm tied in with the whole deal with TT - TT International Anytime is the telephone/broadband deal as a package. I'm reluctant to move away to another broadband provider because I'd lose such a great deal on the telephone side of things.

Thanks again.

Paul
    Originally posted by AnotherPaul
    If it's of any interest to anyone, TalkTalk have recently increased my upload speed from just under 2 mbps to just under 9 mbps - I presume they're doing this across the country.

Huge improvement, at no extra cost.

"These days we’re doing more and more with the internet, and for a smoother online experience you need a faster upload speed. That’s why we’ve made yours up to 5x faster. Meaning you can do everything you love online, all at once.

So now you can video call whilst the family streams the latest Hollywood blockbuster in the other room, win win.

And we’ve already set this up for you at no extra cost. So you can just enjoy your faster internet."
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 15th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    I like that, they screw you down on upload then increase it and make you grateful for what you should have had in the first place.

Thanks for letting us know though.
    • TheGame21
    • By TheGame21 17th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    TheGame21
    Our contract is finishing with BT and we are looking for fibre broadband with anytime calls. Had a look on broadband choices and it comes up with £37.50 p/m with John Lewis at 38 mb/s. Does anyone know of any better deals. I will try to haggle with BT but just thought I'd check what my options are.

We have been with Plusnet before but the service was terrible so apprehensive about going with them again.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 17th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Offers on this site seem very poor at the moment, some offers on Quidco and TopCashBack
    • dave111
    • By dave111 20th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    dave111
    best fibre and phone deal?
    think its BT infinitity via Topcashback?
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 20th Jul 17, 2:12 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Do you really use phone, if so do you want Anytime or what included?

To give you benchmark with just weekend calls I have seen BT offer

78mb Fibre for £29.99 including line rental 12m contract
    52mb Fibre for £20.99 including line rental 18m contract

These deals came and went but it shows you what can be achieved if you can hang about
    • M271
    • By M271 21st Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    M271
    best fibre and phone deal?
    think its BT infinitity via Topcashback?
    Originally posted by dave111
    I have been with Sky Broadband for many years but have this afternoon signed up online for BT Infinity 1 Fibre + BT Sports HD through my Sky Box. 12 month contract.

Bought through Topcashback £29.99 per month (shows as £34.99 on BT web site) for Infinity 1 and weekend calls including Line Rental + £10 BT Sport + £5 HD so £44.99 a month. HD free for first 3 months so initially £39.99.

£90 cashback via Topcashback and £150 BT Mastercard rewards card, which effectively gives me £240 cashback, or can see it as a £20 a month discount for the 12 months so £24.99 month. If didn't have BT sports would be effectively be £9.99 per month (£359.88 - £240 cashback = £119.88 / 12)

BT Sport aready on my Sky Box, 2 weeks before Fibre activation date.
    Last edited by M271; 21-07-2017 at 3:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,191Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin