Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 77
    • By 1567823 26th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    To all the moaners out there
    At least you have the option to try for other services in your area. In the City of Culture 2017 there is only one ISP provider, they are called KCOM. I pay nearly £40 a month for 100GB download on a standard broadband line, if I try any of the providers, they just say the same, 'Sorry we are not in your area'
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 26th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 19,148 Thanks
    Doc N
    There is a simple answer to that, vote with your feet and MOVE!

Every time I hear that City of Culture crap I laugh, Hull is an armpit of the UK, it is a place they try to send people who have been forced to move because of bedroom tax.

Putting lipstick on a pig does not stop it being a pig.

As I say, MOVE!

Do not forget you have to declare any impediment of buying your property via your solicitor to other side, this would seem to be one. Hey if you moved to Hull from outside area you could sue them for not telling you!!
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    What a ludicrous, biased, opinionated and uninformed rant that is. The sort of nonsense that usually comes from people who've never set foot in Hull, or at best have only spent a very short time there, in a bad part of it, many years ago.

Why not open your mind, visit it now (it really is a very fine city, with incredibly friendly people, and a great deal going on this year in particular) and perhaps look a little less silly than your post above makes you look.

I don't live anywhere near it, by the way, but I visit regularly and I know what a great city it is - and an infinitely better place to live than most places within a 100 mile radius of London!

The property market hasn't been destroyed for younger local people by buy to let speculators either, so young people are still able to buy very nice houses in very nice parts of the city (despite your puerile rant, there are plenty of those) instead of having to shell out most of their income in rent for a scruffy, tiny, unpleasant flat.

To be fair, though, there is one downside - KCOM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 26th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 19,148 Thanks
    Doc N
    No problem, some like a bit of rough!

Each to their own.

It is not their fault, their industry was gutted and years of no investment.

No I do not count the lipstick city of culture crap as investment.

I think once we get out of EU we should make some enterprise zones and Hull would be one of them, but even then it would take decades.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Keep on digging.....once again, I'm afraid you're proving that you know nothing whatever about Hull, or how it's changed over the last 20 years.

Do you know the expression 'fake news' by any chance?
    • ffox
    • By ffox 26th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ffox
    Forget any hope after Brexit. I estimate UK will be finished once out.
    • RandomQ
    • By RandomQ 30th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    RandomQ
    Fake BT Deal on TopCashBack
    I have been hunting for a proper cheap broadband only deal, nothing on this site so I went to TopCashBack., I saw this deal

As I read it you are supposed to get

BT Broadband
    BT TV
    +Sim Only

for £20 a month and get £165 back in reward card

well it sounded too good to be true and it seems to be unless I am doing something wrong

When I click thru the first thing is asks me to so is choose a TV package, the cheapest one is £3.50

There does nor appear to be any option to say NO TV, none of the offers are at £20 a month and I do not see £160 cards only £125 for fibre and just £60 for standard broadband which is offset with a £60 install fee.

There is no Sim either

Am I missing something?
    • jonq
    • By jonq 12th Aug 17, 4:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonq
    Sky deal - It looks like the £20 new line fee applies to anybody with an existing phone line unless they want a new phone number.
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 12th Aug 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Patr100
    Read the forum rules. Asking for personal info not allowed. Post reported.
    Last edited by Patr100; 12-08-2017 at 9:30 PM.
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 12th Aug 17, 10:21 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    anactuary
    Sky deal - It looks like the £20 new line fee applies to anybody with an existing phone line unless they want a new phone number.
    Originally posted by jonq
    It didn't for me when I switched.
    • jonq
    • By jonq 12th Aug 17, 10:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonq
    the customer service person I talked to seemed to say it was a standard charge, I'm switching from the postoffice (talktalk resold)
    • treasure_ireland
    • By treasure_ireland 15th Aug 17, 8:34 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    treasure_ireland
    £125 mastercard offer
    EE's website says:
    It looks like the landline number you've provided isn't compatible for EE Broadband. This means you will need an engineer visit and you will be issued with a new telephone number.

Phoned them, it is compatible, it doesn't need an engineer visit & i can keep my number. They won't honour the offer (£125 mastercard) and the websites response will not update.

Anyone else had this problem, but had the offer honoured?
    • sng165
    • By sng165 17th Aug 17, 11:36 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    sng165
    Tied into Sky for 18 months - so split the bill & save £££££'s
    I moved to Sky in April 2016 with an MSE offer for £30 a month
    (plus £18 line charge for my phone)

When this ended I received a call from Sky - and I don't know how/why - but we ended up paying over £80 a month since May this year!!

When I tried to reduce this I'm told I'm locked into TV contract for 18 months!! - Not Happy - BUT After a couple of calls last night - I moved the broadband & talk element away from Sky to TalkTalk & saved £10 month (plus I got £90 on topcashback) : thats £210 over 12 months.

Following that, Sky then reduced my bill by over £11 a month on the remaining Sky element ! that £154 saved over the remaining 14 months we are tied to Sky

Coupled with the £10 a month I've saved on Gas/Elec (plus £50 topcashback) - that's over £500 ! That'll do nicely !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,158Users online

Martin's Twitter