Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 79
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 8,522 Posts
    • 5,050 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I had problems with Plusnet in getting refunded of advance credit paid to them. They were unable to provide a service and refused to reimburse the advanced credit citing a legal precedent that allows them to do this. I eventually got my credit back but not without some difficulty. If you're ever given the opportunity to pay in advance don't do it.

In other news, on the few occasions that I have had to get in touch with them it has more often than not ended up in a more confounding situation than a resolution. They always misunderstand and misconstrue what is said to them or requested of them. Their call centre staff are based in UK (Sheffield say) but English still turns out to be a foreign language. They have figures right in front of them and they can't add them up. This is almost what you'd call borderline illiteracy. Call centres abroad do a better job and I can imagine why they have been working so well for some other companies.

I can't imagine how any customer could trust any of these companies, this one in particular, to provide an internet service.
    Originally posted by ffox

You pay line rental in advance in exchange for having a discount on the monthly charge. If you leave before the time the payment covers then you have broken the contract, so why should they not charge full price for the time the service was used ? As the discount is a few pounds, leaving well into the term could mean that the money paid would have been used up at full price so you are 'owed' less than you think.

I disagree about call centres abroad being better as there are frequent problems with language and the fact that they work to a script with little allowance for anything that doesn't fit, meaning you go over the same things again and again.

Two big companies that have outsourced their call centres have had so much trouble from them that they are building up the UK base again.
    • AmberWH
    • By AmberWH 12th Oct 17, 11:23 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberWH
    In reply to Electrician - I had the same problem (losing my landline number) when I tried to change to EE, but they phoned the next day to ask why I hadn't proceeded with the form filling on their website and I explained it was because I would have to change my number. They told me that actually they could have arranged for me to keep my number after all. It was too late however as I had renewed with Sky - worst luck!
    • tracylou
    • By tracylou 13th Oct 17, 7:05 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    tracylou
    Why do all these ISPís advertise their speeds up to a certain number, yet the actual speed you get is nowhere near that?
    My BT B.B. speed is supposed to be up to 17mbps, but the highest I get is 2.4 & thatís not on a regular basis. It very often is only between 0.1 and 0.9 which is totally unacceptable.
    BT acknowledged that there is a problem but apparently not with their equipment or my phone line, so must be the wiring. To get an engineer out would cost £130 even though Iíve only had broadband for 6 months & tied into an 18 month contract. At a loss what to do 🤔
    • ffox
    • By ffox 13th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ffox
    You pay line rental in advance in exchange for having a discount on the monthly charge. If you leave before the time the payment covers then you have broken the contract, so why should they not charge full price for the time the service was used ? As the discount is a few pounds, leaving well into the term could mean that the money paid would have been used up at full price so you are 'owed' less than you think.

I disagree about call centres abroad being better as there are frequent problems with language and the fact that they work to a script with little allowance for anything that doesn't fit, meaning you go over the same things again and again.

Two big companies that have outsourced their call centres have had so much trouble from them that they are building up the UK base again.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Your reasoning doesn't make any sense. Yes, contract is a contract and it goes both ways not just one way. Considering the marginal saving of paying in advance and the hassle involved with dealing with it, this is not a feature of the service that can or should be recommended to customers. To call centres abroad English is definitely a foreign language as it is for the locals in Sheffield it would seem.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    • 8,522 Posts
    • 5,050 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Your reasoning doesn't make any sense. Yes, contract is a contract and it goes both ways not just one way. Considering the marginal saving of paying in advance and the hassle involved with dealing with it, this is not a feature of the service that can or should be recommended to customers. To call centres abroad English is definitely a foreign language as it is for the locals in Sheffield it would seem.
    My reasoning makes sense but doesn't suit your agenda.

I had no problems speaking to Sheffield cs personnel.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 24-10-2017 at 1:51 PM.
    • ffox
    • By ffox 22nd Oct 17, 8:48 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ffox
    Have a look at this. Plusnet appears to be actively trolling this forum. If you as a company had any credibility you wouldn't be hiding behind some anonymous identity posing as some innocent mum.
    • Keruge
    • By Keruge 24th Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Keruge
    Have a look at this. Plusnet appears to be actively trolling this forum. If you as a company had any credibility you wouldn't be hiding behind some anonymous identity posing as some innocent mum.
    I don't know, I am not convinced.

8000+ posts is a lot of effort just to troll, your 35 not so much.

There are a lot of people who will champion a supplier because they chose them.

I am going to post something negative about Plusnet in a sec so do not think me a troll!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 24th Oct 17, 2:00 PM
    • 8,522 Posts
    • 5,050 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Why do all these ISPís advertise their speeds up to a certain number, yet the actual speed you get is nowhere near that?
    My BT B.B. speed is supposed to be up to 17mbps, but the highest I get is 2.4 & thatís not on a regular basis. It very often is only between 0.1 and 0.9 which is totally unacceptable.
    BT acknowledged that there is a problem but apparently not with their equipment or my phone line, so must be the wiring. To get an engineer out would cost £130 even though Iíve only had broadband for 6 months & tied into an 18 month contract. At a loss what to do 🤔
    Originally posted by tracylou

They advertise up to, because they legally can ,just like retailer sales announcing up to 75% off when that only affect one product. After all any price or reading fits the 'up to' description.

You can on applying check what the supplier promises that you will get and on ADSL we are only promised 2-5 by any ADSL provider.

My son used to subcontract to BT and was told that very few more than the office staff at an exchange and 'someone sitting on the doorstep' got the maximum.

I seem to recall from a tv consumer item, that the government are considering looking at the way achievable speeds are enhanced,but any interference will probably cost, like the combination prices did.
    • Keruge
    • By Keruge 24th Oct 17, 2:00 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Keruge
    What's going on MSE Broadband?
    I am a regular visitor to the following page but what's going on?

moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

Previously it used to have a headline deal just UNDER THE HEADLINE!

I knew Broadband deals were terrible in this Country at the moment with virtually no competition but is it that NOTHING is worth the headline?

Looking at the deals it seems so, even in the Best-buy broadband deals, incl: section it depends on you paying a years line rental upfront. Come on MSE, we can't all afford to prepay line rental for a year and £12.50 is nothing to shout about anyway, especially as you have this TINY claim window for cashback. Besides that the RIP OFF £50 install (Sky £20) and a scorpion sting in the tail if you cancel broadband and wait for a deal Plusnet charge you fee (TT and Sky don't)

I think I am going to complain to the ASA about this practice, it is really misleading and confusing for non techy people. Surely we should just get a code and a discount, Sky manages this so why not BT and Plusnet?

Surely what matters is that there was a deal offered for a certain period and you signed up, end of.

Should we be giving up on MSE having the best deals, I get the newsletter and am always on the lookout for cheap broadband for my next signup, but it seems that MSE has given up the ghost.
    Last edited by Keruge; 24-10-2017 at 3:33 PM.
    • Keruge
    • By Keruge 24th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Keruge
    Gov says it is going to give customers get out clause if speeds do not live up to promises, they might want to put a stop to promises in the first place, by not allowing a speed to be quoted unless over 80% of market can get that speed. That might encourage them to invest.
    • ffox
    • By ffox 24th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ffox
    My reasoning makes sense but doesn't suit your agenda.

I had no problems speaking to Sheffield cs personnel.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    It does not. You tried to swallow up my money in advanced credit. I will not forget this. I won't be recommending you to anyone. In fact the sooner you close down the better it will be for everyone. We don't need yet another lying company with unscrupulous practises. There are plenty to go around.
    • blahblahdoh
    • By blahblahdoh 8th Nov 17, 12:51 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    blahblahdoh
    Nudge nudge
    Has anyone else had an issue where Broadband service deteriorates due to a wire at the exchange being accidentally nudged/dislodged by an engineer working on somebody else's connection? I've had that 3 times now, and wondering if I'm just unlucky or if it is a widespread problem. The broadband suppliers are reluctant to call out an Openreach engineer to fix this unless you agree to terms and conditions, including payment of a fee if it turns out the problem is with your home wiring. I refused to accept this and just switched suppliers instead.
    • robertoegg
    • By robertoegg 8th Nov 17, 2:34 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    robertoegg
    Hello, what are the chances of getting TCB cashback (£60) for Plusnet and applying for their own cashback (£50)?

Average payout time for TCB is 8 weeks,
    Plusnet cashback time limit is 2 months on top of 10 days,
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Nov 17, 2:39 PM
    • 31,880 Posts
    • 37,601 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Has anyone else had an issue where Broadband service deteriorates due to a wire at the exchange being accidentally nudged/dislodged by an engineer working on somebody else's connection? I've had that 3 times now, and wondering if I'm just unlucky or if it is a widespread problem. The broadband suppliers are reluctant to call out an Openreach engineer to fix this unless you agree to terms and conditions, including payment of a fee if it turns out the problem is with your home wiring. I refused to accept this and just switched suppliers instead.
    Originally posted by blahblahdoh
    Yes , certain connection strips are renowned for these sorts of problems , road vibration , working on adjacent strips can all cause problems
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • blahblahdoh
    • By blahblahdoh 9th Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    blahblahdoh
    Thanks Browntoa, that's very interesting. I never thought of road vibration, but my exchange is located right next to traffic lights on a very busy road, so that may well explain it.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th Nov 17, 10:50 PM
    • 6,395 Posts
    • 19,297 Thanks
    Doc N
    And presumably also in the green BT local cabinets? Or is it just an exchange issue?
    • blahblahdoh
    • By blahblahdoh 12th Nov 17, 1:37 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    blahblahdoh
    And presumably also in the green BT local cabinets? Or is it just an exchange issue?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Yes. I was told by an engineer that the green cabinet was my exchange. You seem to be distinguishing between the cabinet and something else?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 12th Nov 17, 1:46 PM
    • 6,395 Posts
    • 19,297 Thanks
    Doc N
    Yes. I was told by an engineer that the green cabinet was my exchange. You seem to be distinguishing between the cabinet and something else?
    Originally posted by blahblahdoh
    I'm probably way out of date on this, and I'm talking about semi-rural locations, but round here we still have exchanges, and the greater the distance from the exchange the slower the broadband, broadly speaking.

The green cabinets are connected by fibre to the exchanges and located in villages around the village with the exchange. We have 'Fibre to the cabinet' (FTTC) broadband from BT and other suppliers using their exchanges, but copper connections of course from the cabinet to individual houses.

So whilst we're around 3 miles from the exchange, we're only half a mile from the cabinet, and the achievable fibre broadband speeds are pretty good (for the UK).
    • LovesFORrocks
    • By LovesFORrocks 12th Nov 17, 6:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LovesFORrocks
    Everybody!!

I recently quit my Sky broadband unlimited for £18.99 pm to join Vodafone fibre unlimited for £20 pm (not cheaper, but better... apparently) whisky still in my cooling off period with Vodafone, Sky contacted me and I managed to get FREE line rental and £8.99 off broadband unlimited for 12 months... thatís £1.01 pm all in!! Add that to the 60% off I already get for TV and Iím £££££ in!!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 13th Nov 17, 10:47 PM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    robin58
    Everybody!!

I recently quit my Sky broadband unlimited for £18.99 pm to join Vodafone fibre unlimited for £20 pm (not cheaper, but better... apparently) whisky still in my cooling off period with Vodafone, Sky contacted me and I managed to get FREE line rental and £8.99 off broadband unlimited for 12 months... that’s £1.01 pm all in!! Add that to the 60% off I already get for TV and I’m £££££ in!!
    Originally posted by LovesFORrocks
    Interesting. I've just had a letter from them automatically signing me up for another year, without any authorization from me I might add. Making me pay £18.99 a month for the landline with free broadband for a further 12 month contract.

I'm a bit peed off that they have done this without asking if I wish to stay or not with either a letter (before this one) or email or phone call, so much in fact after reading this I'm ringing them up Tuesday to hear what they say. If I get no joy they will be told to get stuffed

Noted that Plusnet are doing a good deal until end of Tuesday. Been with them before and aren't so underhand as Sky.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,426Posts Today

6,975Users online

Martin's Twitter