Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 79
    • steveE2
    • By steveE2 2nd May 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    steveE2
    bones85
    I haggled infinity2 down to £33 per month due to price rise and current offer in My BT is £35.49 see if you can get one of those.

http://imgur.com/q5tfoT9
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 2nd May 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    DavidP24
    From what I have seen on this forum it seems BT have a floor, they sometimes match their own offers, but seem quite happy to position their product at the top end of market place, leaving Plusnet to pick up the low end.

I think you will be forced to leave and if you expect any budge at all you need to be quoting Sky and TalkTalk.

Oh BTW, we have also heard on here that they contact you AFTER you have instructed new provider which is supposed to be against the OFCOM rules.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 3rd May 17, 8:18 AM
    • 6,083 Posts
    • 19,000 Thanks
    Doc N
    Just been on the phone to the BT cancellation team, Best they could offer me was £45 a month Fibre Infinity 2, I'm currently paying £53.99 a month with them!

He couldn't give me any more discount, Anyone else had much luck with haggling BT?

i don't know wether to ring them again and try get a deal or just leave and go to plus net who are a lot cheaper!
    Originally posted by bones85
    For what it's worth, I found that despite several attempts it was impossible to get BT to offer a deal that matched what they were offering new customers.

That changed, however, after I'd started the switching process to TalkTalk. Once that was up and running, and it was clear that I was actually leaving BT, suddenly the deals on offer changed and matched what was on offer to new customers.

So start the switch process if you want a reasonable offer from them. I stuck with the TalkTalk switch, by the way - it's no better than BT, but certainly no worse either. And it's a lot cheaper, with much better customer service.
    • bones85
    • By bones85 3rd May 17, 8:17 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    bones85
    How did they get in touch with new offers? by phone??

i suppose if i move to plusnet, they won't be too bothered as it's BT owned?
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 3rd May 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    DavidP24
    One trick is to ring them as if you are ignorant of the way the system changed.

Previously you had to ring for a MAC code, you give that to the new provider and they initiate the transfer, now you just go to the competitor.

You call them in a huff, say "I wish to terminate my broadband " I gather I need a MAC code" to do this and you need 2 weeks notice. Can I have that code please and can you accept this call as my notice to quit"

Repeat the same with retentions dept if you are put through, you have to be kinda !!!!ed off as if service has not been that good.

Many people have reported as above that the offers come after they get the request to transfer, but strictly speaking it is against OFCOM rules to offer you deal after the transfer has started. I prefer the previous system, there have been reports of broadband being terminated with TalkTalk for example, BT provision a new line and TalkTalk carry on billing with line rental for months.

So you call BT, ask for the MAC code, be grumpy, if they make an offer, say I have already been through that, simply not competitive and I have now decided to leave.

A friend of mine cancelled with Sky, she took a video of chat (something I always recommend) it took 42 minutes before they finally actioned the cancellation (she was not changing supplier she was terminating).
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 3rd May 17, 10:19 PM
    • 6,083 Posts
    • 19,000 Thanks
    Doc N
    How did they get in touch with new offers? by phone??

i suppose if i move to plusnet, they won't be too bothered as it's BT owned?
    Originally posted by bones85
    They probably won't contact you - they couldn't possibly contact all the people leaving them!

But if you contact them after they've received notification of the switch (which is within hours of your starting the process) they'll be able to access new and better options for you on their screens.
    • mxo
    • By mxo 4th May 17, 9:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mxo
    In France you can get 100Mb fibre broadband (100Mb download and 100Mb upload) with 160 TV channels and unlimited local and international phone calls to 100 countries... for £27 a month.

We're being ripped off in the UK.
    • zolablue25
    • By zolablue25 7th May 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    zolablue25
    What the "Cheap broadband deals" article doesn't make clear enough is that you can be without internet for a couple of weeks if you switch from a LLU. We are currently on Sky LLU and I tried to switch last year and was told by the potential new supplier that when they switch the phone over our broadband would be switched off and it would take them up to 2 weeks to sort it out.

That would be a real deal breaker for some (it was for us) and should probably be made clearer in the article. The article makes it seem like you will be off for a couple of hours at most - this just isn't true.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 7th May 17, 9:25 AM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 2,841 Thanks
    buglawton
    I keep an unlocked 4G wifi about the place for any such interruptions. Preloaded data sims can be had, £2 per GB is typical. However I can imagine if you've got kids it'll be difficult to stop them streaming video, that's the only thing that makes 4G prohibitive.
    Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. –Steve Martin
    • zolablue25
    • By zolablue25 7th May 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    zolablue25
    I keep an unlocked 4G wifi about the place for any such interruptions. Preloaded data sims can be had, £2 per GB is typical. However I can imagine if you've got kids it'll be difficult to stop them streaming video, that's the only thing that makes 4G prohibitive.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    Its not just the streaming of video, her homework is done almost exclusively online.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 7th May 17, 5:52 PM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 2,841 Thanks
    buglawton
    If homework includes a lot of video streaming, then yes you would be stuck. For everything else pay as you go 4G is acceptably cheap. If lengthy videos for schoolwork are needed, use the wifi at school during a study period?
    Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. –Steve Martin
    • birdy1987
    • By birdy1987 16th May 17, 2:20 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    birdy1987
    Ee
    Would anyone be able to tell me how I get the Amazon voucher that was part of the last EE deal?
    • jnm21
    • By jnm21 18th May 17, 10:37 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    jnm21
    Just signed up for the BT broadband offer, taking a SIM as well & no sign of either the offers in the confirmation!

Looks like having a BT mobile SIM rules you out! Nice of them that is! Will cancel the order & get the wife to sign up - blatantly stupid!

EDIT: Just to add their chat service is painful - clearly chatting to multiple people at the same time.
    Last edited by jnm21; 18-05-2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: See EDIT
    • jnm21
    • By jnm21 18th May 17, 10:54 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    jnm21
    Would anyone be able to tell me how I get the Amazon voucher that was part of the last EE deal?
    Originally posted by birdy1987
    You'll be sent an email within 60 days of your service going live with instructions on how to claim. You'll then receive your voucher via email within 30 days of paying your second bill.
    Problems getting your voucher? Please email broadbandinfo@myeeoffers.co.uk.
    Hope it works!
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 22nd May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    cashmonger
    Cheapest b'band & line this year: ONLY £5.33/mth via special code

I'm really anooyed at this - they wont budge as an existing customer I still have to pay £18.99 - how do I negogiate this, I've tried over the phone but no they wont budge. I only have B/B and no TV with sky.
    Originally posted by qa1
    Does this apply also if you have been a customer in the past? I was a customer but switched to hyperoptic for a couple of months but now I am moving home and hyperoptic are not available in new place. I think I read (can't recall where in the see of tabs I had open) that you can't get it if you have been a customer in the past.

EDIT: oh cool I just spoke to sky on the online chat and they informed me I could get the deal if I want since I am moving into a new build. Also with line installation only at £20 I think this might sway me to go with the deal .

How did the above poster figure £5.33 per month? since it says £10.33 on the link.
    Last edited by cashmonger; 22-05-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 22nd May 17, 2:42 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Their previous offer was £5.33, they offered that in June last year and March this year, now it is the £10.33 offer again.

You can also use the Sky offer to get other sites to price match or improve on.

TalkTalk have been known to go as low as £24 per annum and include boosts but I would never deal with TalkTalk as they share data without my permission, authority or give option to opt out. Those are top of the iceberb in terms of issues with Talktalk, just a complete disdain for customers, no respect at all.

Plusnet might match it but only for 18m contract, BT tend to just give add-ons people do not want, like TV or faster broadband, they seem to think Plusnet are their offering for low end.

Virgin are not worth considering IMO, even if they are in your area.

EE have not competed since BT bought them (massive #fail by CMA)

So on reflection maybe best to go with Sky while you can or wait 6 months for it to come around again.
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 22nd May 17, 3:05 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    cashmonger
    Well I think I will go for sky since it is a new move and if the worst came to worst and I didn't stay in the place then I wouldn't be tied into an expensive contract. I mean it would be better to be trapped in a £10 a month contract than £20+ a month . Worst case of course; ideally I will be very happy at new address.

A tenner is still the best I have ever paid for internet. I had been paying £28 with them for many years for the exact same package as I had no idea about this package hunting until looking the other day.

Good thing is I was with sky for years and always had good experience with them at my current address so it isn't like taking a punt on the budget bb dealers.

Regarding after the year is up how likely is it for them to give you a competitive renewal? because I would prefer not chop and change constantly and as I said I have been very pleased with skys service in the past.

If I give quotes for current good deals on MSE etc will they keep you for maybe £20 per month at most (preferably less but id be happy £20 a month without switching)? I prefer not have to swap provider if I am happy with them. and will they keep renewing me anually against current deals rather than lose my custom so long as I ring them up every time my contract is going to end? Ie will I never have to pay the full price of £28 if I give them figures of current competing offers?
    Last edited by cashmonger; 22-05-2017 at 3:14 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 22nd May 17, 3:37 PM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 3,765 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    As with any ISP at the end of the contract or if informed in contract of a price increase you tell them you are leaving .They will make an offer you say no they come back a few days later . See multiple posts on the forum .
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 22nd May 17, 4:10 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    DavidP24
    On Chat best I have seen is £15 a month with £50 credit so same £10 more or less.

I know it seems low but when there was more competition it was £5 for the YEAR!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/2015/09/urgent535-for-a-years-sky-line-rental-and-broadband
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 22nd May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    cashmonger
    Hey why are you trying to taint my enjoyment of getting getting internet for 1/3 of that I had been paying :P.

Oh that's cool! re the chat offer. If I don't have to switch then I am sold on this haggling game. I see now that I have been reading up on it for a couple of days that I would feel more comfortable bartering with them now I know the figures of what else is out there and that they have whole teams devoted to this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,974Posts Today

12,642Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin