Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 74
    • bones85
    • By bones85 3rd May 17, 8:17 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    bones85
    How did they get in touch with new offers? by phone??

i suppose if i move to plusnet, they won't be too bothered as it's BT owned?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 3rd May 17, 10:19 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 19,192 Thanks
    Doc N
    How did they get in touch with new offers? by phone??

i suppose if i move to plusnet, they won't be too bothered as it's BT owned?
    Originally posted by bones85
    They probably won't contact you - they couldn't possibly contact all the people leaving them!

But if you contact them after they've received notification of the switch (which is within hours of your starting the process) they'll be able to access new and better options for you on their screens.
    • mxo
    • By mxo 4th May 17, 9:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mxo
    In France you can get 100Mb fibre broadband (100Mb download and 100Mb upload) with 160 TV channels and unlimited local and international phone calls to 100 countries... for £27 a month.

We're being ripped off in the UK.
    • zolablue25
    • By zolablue25 7th May 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    zolablue25
    What the "Cheap broadband deals" article doesn't make clear enough is that you can be without internet for a couple of weeks if you switch from a LLU. We are currently on Sky LLU and I tried to switch last year and was told by the potential new supplier that when they switch the phone over our broadband would be switched off and it would take them up to 2 weeks to sort it out.

That would be a real deal breaker for some (it was for us) and should probably be made clearer in the article. The article makes it seem like you will be off for a couple of hours at most - this just isn't true.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 7th May 17, 9:25 AM
    • 6,885 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    buglawton
    I keep an unlocked 4G wifi about the place for any such interruptions. Preloaded data sims can be had, £2 per GB is typical. However I can imagine if you've got kids it'll be difficult to stop them streaming video, that's the only thing that makes 4G prohibitive.
    • zolablue25
    • By zolablue25 7th May 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    zolablue25
    I keep an unlocked 4G wifi about the place for any such interruptions. Preloaded data sims can be had, £2 per GB is typical. However I can imagine if you've got kids it'll be difficult to stop them streaming video, that's the only thing that makes 4G prohibitive.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    Its not just the streaming of video, her homework is done almost exclusively online.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 7th May 17, 5:52 PM
    • 6,885 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    buglawton
    If homework includes a lot of video streaming, then yes you would be stuck. For everything else pay as you go 4G is acceptably cheap. If lengthy videos for schoolwork are needed, use the wifi at school during a study period?
    • birdy1987
    • By birdy1987 16th May 17, 2:20 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    birdy1987
    Ee
    Would anyone be able to tell me how I get the Amazon voucher that was part of the last EE deal?
    • jnm21
    • By jnm21 18th May 17, 10:37 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    jnm21
    Just signed up for the BT broadband offer, taking a SIM as well & no sign of either the offers in the confirmation!

Looks like having a BT mobile SIM rules you out! Nice of them that is! Will cancel the order & get the wife to sign up - blatantly stupid!

EDIT: Just to add their chat service is painful - clearly chatting to multiple people at the same time.
    Last edited by jnm21; 18-05-2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: See EDIT
    • jnm21
    • By jnm21 18th May 17, 10:54 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    jnm21
    Would anyone be able to tell me how I get the Amazon voucher that was part of the last EE deal?
    Originally posted by birdy1987
    You'll be sent an email within 60 days of your service going live with instructions on how to claim. You'll then receive your voucher via email within 30 days of paying your second bill.
    Problems getting your voucher? Please email broadbandinfo@myeeoffers.co.uk.
    Hope it works!
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 22nd May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    cashmonger
    Cheapest b'band & line this year: ONLY £5.33/mth via special code

I'm really anooyed at this - they wont budge as an existing customer I still have to pay £18.99 - how do I negogiate this, I've tried over the phone but no they wont budge. I only have B/B and no TV with sky.
    Originally posted by qa1
    Does this apply also if you have been a customer in the past? I was a customer but switched to hyperoptic for a couple of months but now I am moving home and hyperoptic are not available in new place. I think I read (can't recall where in the see of tabs I had open) that you can't get it if you have been a customer in the past.

EDIT: oh cool I just spoke to sky on the online chat and they informed me I could get the deal if I want since I am moving into a new build. Also with line installation only at £20 I think this might sway me to go with the deal .

How did the above poster figure £5.33 per month? since it says £10.33 on the link.
    Last edited by cashmonger; 22-05-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 22nd May 17, 3:05 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    cashmonger
    Well I think I will go for sky since it is a new move and if the worst came to worst and I didn't stay in the place then I wouldn't be tied into an expensive contract. I mean it would be better to be trapped in a £10 a month contract than £20+ a month . Worst case of course; ideally I will be very happy at new address.

A tenner is still the best I have ever paid for internet. I had been paying £28 with them for many years for the exact same package as I had no idea about this package hunting until looking the other day.

Good thing is I was with sky for years and always had good experience with them at my current address so it isn't like taking a punt on the budget bb dealers.

Regarding after the year is up how likely is it for them to give you a competitive renewal? because I would prefer not chop and change constantly and as I said I have been very pleased with skys service in the past.

If I give quotes for current good deals on MSE etc will they keep you for maybe £20 per month at most (preferably less but id be happy £20 a month without switching)? I prefer not have to swap provider if I am happy with them. and will they keep renewing me anually against current deals rather than lose my custom so long as I ring them up every time my contract is going to end? Ie will I never have to pay the full price of £28 if I give them figures of current competing offers?
    Last edited by cashmonger; 22-05-2017 at 3:14 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 22nd May 17, 3:37 PM
    • 9,607 Posts
    • 3,922 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    As with any ISP at the end of the contract or if informed in contract of a price increase you tell them you are leaving .They will make an offer you say no they come back a few days later . See multiple posts on the forum .
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 22nd May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    cashmonger
    Hey why are you trying to taint my enjoyment of getting getting internet for 1/3 of that I had been paying :P.

Oh that's cool! re the chat offer. If I don't have to switch then I am sold on this haggling game. I see now that I have been reading up on it for a couple of days that I would feel more comfortable bartering with them now I know the figures of what else is out there and that they have whole teams devoted to this.
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 22nd May 17, 6:01 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    cashmonger
    The next one for me is electricity deals since I also let that one go by at the highest rates. Would be great if there were some deals as sweet as bb for elec too. I have gotten a inclinge for just how much can be saved so I am motivated now .
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 22nd May 17, 8:20 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    cashmonger
    If I move in next tuesday what is the best time to place the order for the sky bb deal? It ends on friday so ofc it needs to be before then but I just wondered how long it usually takes them to come out and install it?

I was also concerned about the cancellation period being 'wasted' if so i shoudnt order till last minute but in their terms on their page is says the 30 days is from activation rather than the placed order; the latter being what most have stated here.

Hmm the chat advisors said it takes 10-14 days so that would be ideal time to do it now yes?

EDIT: I placed the order now. Didn't wanna miss on that sweet deal .
    Last edited by cashmonger; 22-05-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd May 17, 10:44 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 19,192 Thanks
    Doc N
    Just to put TalkTalk into perspective, I've never had any problems with them, and on the very rare occasion when I've needed to contact anyone they've been first rate - and infinitely better than BT and Plusnet.

£32 pm (and a genuinely fixed £32 pm at that!) all-in for line rental, fibre broadband (unlimited), unlimited landline and mobile calls, caller display, call divert (no onward call charges) and the full package of add-ons that BT charge the earth for.

Unbeatable in my book.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 23rd May 17, 11:53 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Mister G
    Ah yes, but how far around the world have your bank details now got?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 23rd May 17, 11:57 AM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 19,192 Thanks
    Doc N
    Ah yes, but how far around the world have your bank details now got?
    Originally posted by Mister G
    No further than with any other hack - TalkTalk's hardly the only company to be hacked is it?

And have you looked at what's on a cheque? Sort code and account number.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 23rd May 17, 4:17 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 19,192 Thanks
    Doc N
    TalkTalk ALLOWED your data along with that of MILLIONS of customers to be stolen, they then followed that up by GIVING access to an offshore IT company who also used it illegally.

It always amazes me when people feel the need to defend a company just because they trade with them.

I have seen the file structure of the talktalk data that was stolen, it was WAY MORE than a bank account and a sort code.

It has allowed a new type of scam that costs customers £300 a go, I will not detail it here, it has been covered on TV. Suffice to day it would not have happened if TalkTalk had taken proper measures.

TT's attitude after the hack was similar to yours "so what", I am currently working on two cases of hacking, one is around £70k the other is multiple customers of between £4 and £50k.

Maybe when it happens to you then maybe you will feel it and understand that TalkTalk was responsible for this. It was a complete failure on their part to protect their network and systems.

No excuses.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    You're entitled to your viewpoint of course but for the record I was one of those affected and apart from a few easily dealt with fraudulent phone calls it's created no problems whatsoever. There have been any number of similar attacks
    and if you avoided every company involved you'd not get very far.

I left TalkTalk and have now returned to them because they offer an excellent product at an excellent price. If anything their earlier problems are likely to make them more secure. Do you really think other ISPs are any better?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,371Posts Today

6,050Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin