Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 74
    • doveman
    • By doveman 29th Sep 16, 10:11 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    doveman
    So I phoned Sky to try and change the date and they said they'd have to cancel and re-order to do that but then explained that they'd cover any early termination costs up to £100 so I agreed to keep my order.

However, reading the details at http://www.sky.com/shop/offers/broadbandswitchers/v1/?DCMP=dmc-skycom:na_switch_credit I see it says that to take advantage of this offer "you must place your Sky Broadband and/or Talk order with one of our advisors over the phone" which I haven't done, so I'll have to phone them back again and cancel and re-order, assuming they'll honour the half-price offer for a phone order!
    • doveman
    • By doveman 29th Sep 16, 2:32 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    doveman
    Well I spoke to Sky again and they told me not to worry about what their website said and that they'd definitely pay me the £100 but I said I could only go by what I could see in writing. When I got passed to cancellations they told me that I should just send the router back to BT and then they couldn't charge me, according to an OFCOM ruling but I said that they'd no doubt still charge me and I didn't need the hassle of trying to argue that they shouldn't have.

Anyway, they said they couldn't change the activation date and all I could do was cancel and reorder in a couple of weeks but there might not be any good deals then. So I cancelled my order.

I phoned BT to make sure that they knew I wanted to cancel the transfer and they actually offered to discount my 52Mb Broadband to £7/month, which is less than the £12/month I've been paying the last 12 months, so I went for that. It's a 24 month contract which I'm not normally keen on but at that price it seems OK.

With Line Rental saver at £205.18/year it works out at £24/month, whereas Sky would've been £17/month and if I'd switched back to BT after 12 months and they had similar offers to what they've got now (£125 Mastercard, £95 cashback via Quidco) it'd be about £15/month, so I'll be paying £80-£110/year more than I would if I switched each year but for the first year most of that would've been wiped out by BT's early termination fees anyway!
    • tomjohnrose
    • By tomjohnrose 30th Sep 16, 11:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tomjohnrose
    End of 1 Year Free Sky, switched to Plusnet and saved £222.92!
    So my years free broadband with Sky ran out this month. I paid £17.40 for line rental each month only. This has gone up to £10.00 a month for broadband, plus the £17.99 line rental, so £27.40 a month.

With Plusnet, they are offering free broadband for a year (until 11th October), and £15.49 a month line rental (if you pay all in one go for a year, if not it is £17.99 a month). PLUS they are offering £80.00 cashback. So, £11.91 a month saved just from switching, which is £142.92 a year, plus £80.00 cashback = £222.92 saving !!!
    • kah22
    • By kah22 14th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    kah22
    What's the best deal at the moment
    My GF has just cancelled with TalkTalk broadband, the connection and customer service she was receiving was just awful. Anyway she's out without the penalty clause been imposed

It's now a matter of getting a new supplier and phone supplier. She'll hardly ever be using the landline and I'm guessing her main use of the internet will be simple browsing and music listening but I wouldn't be surprised if she joins Netflix or Prime! She'll definitely not be into gaming and in case it matters she lives in Norrthern Ireland

What's the best and hassle free deals at the moment?

Kevin
    "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.” Francis of Assisi
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Oct 16, 6:39 PM
    • 5,865 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    teddysmum
    So my years free broadband with Sky ran out this month. I paid £17.40 for line rental each month only. This has gone up to £10.00 a month for broadband, plus the £17.99 line rental, so £27.40 a month.

With Plusnet, they are offering free broadband for a year (until 11th October), and £15.49 a month line rental (if you pay all in one go for a year, if not it is £17.99 a month). PLUS they are offering £80.00 cashback. So, £11.91 a month saved just from switching, which is £142.92 a year, plus £80.00 cashback = £222.92 saving !!!
    Originally posted by tomjohnrose

I've booked a switch, but with only a £75 cashback cheque (It's now gone down to £50). However, the problem is the £30 cease fee PlusNet (BT too) charge, not just for a regular cease or change to cable, but also for a switch to an LLU user like TalkTalk or Sky, as it rather takes away the appeal of the cashback cheque, if you leave after 12 months.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 16-10-2016 at 2:38 PM.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 15th Oct 16, 11:54 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    kah22
    Teddysmum I don't understand what you mean by
    I've booked a switch, but ...the problem is the £30 cease fee PlusNet (BT too) charge, not just for a regular cease or change to cable, but also for a switch to an LLU user like TalkTalk or Sky. (It rather takes away the appeal of the cashback cheque).
    were completely free of TalkTalk is that £30 for switching over to fibre? Sorry if I sound stupid
    "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.” Francis of Assisi
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Oct 16, 2:24 PM
    • 5,865 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Teddysmum I don't understand what you mean by were completely free of TalkTalk is that £30 for switching over to fibre? Sorry if I sound stupid
    Originally posted by kah22

Sorry. I typed while concentrating on something else, so my (now amended ) post is not clear.

PlusNet (and BT) charge a £30 cease fee, if you leave for any other provider that uses cable or LLU, so the cashback cheque is effectively worth £30 less when calculating the annual cost (if you wish to leave for another offer, after the12 months).

Cease fees used to be for cancelling without migrating, losing a phone line or going over to cable, but PlusNet now class moving to a user of LLU as a cease. (I'm assuming no cease fee for leaving TalkTalk, as I have not been informed of one for leaving Sky)
    Last edited by teddysmum; 16-10-2016 at 2:40 PM.
    • supermonkey
    • By supermonkey 19th Oct 16, 12:10 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    supermonkey
    I may be wrong, but the current BT fibre deals assumes the cashback will be paid, when the links to the cash back indicate it has to be ordered directly through BT to qualify & not through cable.co.uk

I ordered standard BB with plus net a few days ago, considering cancelling now & going with the BT deal, but only if the cashback is gauranteed!
    • SewerSide
    • By SewerSide 20th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    SewerSide
    I ordered standard BB with plus net a few days ago, considering cancelling now & going with the BT deal, but only if the cashback is gauranteed!
    Originally posted by supermonkey
    Cashback from BT is far from guaranteed. I ordered in January via a similar deal, a friend in February. In both cases they cancelled the original orders, then recreated them with new order numbers, then declined cashback as the order was cancelled. After a lot of hassling them, they did pay in the end, but I wouldn't try it again.
    • holidaymkr
    • By holidaymkr 20th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    holidaymkr
    New BT B/band. Cheap but at what cost!?
    Got the latest email from ML and decided to go for the BT fibre deal (cashback on MasterCard+cheque etc) Completed all the online gumf yesterday, paid the upfront annual cost and got the emails confirming the deal and a change over date of Fri. 4th November. This morning cancelled current provider then p.m. was called from B.T. "to confirm" that the line will be swapped over the evening of 4th November and "then an order will be raised for your Broadband connection". When pressed for a date it couldn't be given and the guy flanneled a lot. The way I see it is the line will be swapped Fri night then I'll have to wait till at least the following week for Broadband. I told the guy I wasn't having that and they needed to bring the line swap forward or move it on till the following week as at least then an engineer was likely to be around to change the line in the cabinet. He couldn't back up his promises with facts ie a definitive date. I'm now at the stage where I'm wanting to cancel the BT deal and stay with my current provider. Has anybody had similar experiences? How do I stand to get my £260+ back. Any advice greatly welcomed.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 20th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 5,877 Posts
    • 18,753 Thanks
    Doc N
    I'm now at the stage where I'm wanting to cancel the BT deal and stay with my current provider. Has anybody had similar experiences? How do I stand to get my £260+ back. Any advice greatly welcomed.
    Originally posted by holidaymkr
    I've cancelled with BT before, and you're well within time to do that if you want to, and get all the money back.

However, I doubt you'd actually be without a connection - though I see why you might think that, based on what they've said!

The BT website should allow you to delay the switch by a few days - is that perhaps another option?
    • robertoegg
    • By robertoegg 25th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    robertoegg
    Talk Talk Price Hikes
    Hi, does anyone know if you are entitled to the upfront line-rental being partially refunded if you want to break contract due to TalkTalk hiking prices?
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 25th Oct 16, 9:16 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    anactuary
    Hi, does anyone know if you are entitled to the upfront line-rental being partially refunded if you want to break contract due to TalkTalk hiking prices?
    Originally posted by robertoegg
    Yes you are:

What will happen with my advance payment if I leave TalkTalk?
    You'll be entitled to receive a credit of any outstanding balance on your existing Value Line Rental term and a full refund of your unused renewal Value Line Rental term. This may be off-set against any applicable charges after disconnection.

See https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/value-line-rental-renewal
    • kah22
    • By kah22 26th Oct 16, 12:12 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    kah22
    Phoned BT today. At present I'm on broadband with them, advertised speed 17Mb, but I get nowhere near that and advised them that my contract was up late next month and I was shopping around

Advised them I'd been in contact with Vodafone and PkusNet and told them what I'd been offered basically £23 month which covered both landline and fibre charges with an activation fee of £50 (all figures rounded)

Was made an offer of line rental + £10 month for infinity 1 with no activation fee. That leaves BT costing about £22 a year more but I'm off the opinion that I'll stay with them, if only because of their landline charges

BT are still offering me weekend calls free and their standard rate call charges while Vodafone and PlusNet seem to set their landline charges much higher. If you use a landline at all that's where Vodafone and PlusNet could pull in extra revenue

Kevin
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 8th Nov 16, 11:12 AM
    • 562 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Phoned BT today. At present I'm on broadband with them, advertised speed 17Mb, but I get nowhere near that and advised them that my contract was up late next month and I was shopping around

Advised them I'd been in contact with Vodafone and PkusNet and told them what I'd been offered basically £23 month which covered both landline and fibre charges with an activation fee of £50 (all figures rounded)

Was made an offer of line rental + £10 month for infinity 1 with no activation fee. That leaves BT costing about £22 a year more but I'm of the opinion that I'll stay with them, if only because of their landline charges

BT are still offering me weekend calls free and their standard rate call charges while Vodafone and PlusNet seem to set their landline charges much higher. If you use a landline at all that's where Vodafone and PlusNet could pull in extra revenue

Kevin
    Originally posted by kah22
    It is sad that this is deemed competitive, weekend calls is the bare minimum, it used to be evening and weekend calls were the minimum but this is how this industry screwed us when OFCOM stopped them screwing us on 0845 calls.

I would go back to Plusnet and say "you will have to do better, what I need is £20 including anytime calls and free activation"

Do not mention that it is BT they are competing againsr because they are owned by BT.

They may not go all the way to £20 but you may well get Anytime calls.

Then go back to BT and say "you will have to do better" do not be conned into paying more and getting TV, stick to what you need rather than what they want.

If you are going to settle at that BT deal you have to be sure you are using £2 a month of calls outside of the Evening.

I would also check your exchange and other BB forums to see the performance in your area. Some implementations of fibre are not to the door so you still get degredation for the copper element,
    Please click Thanks button.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 8th Nov 16, 11:19 AM
    • 562 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Be warned that TalkTalk have admitted on here that there billing system screws customers at the end of a contract and charges an extra month. Their rep said on here they refund it if you complain but not always automatically.

I cancelled my direct debit with them and they even charged me for that, needless to say I told them to foxtrot oscar but they still put a negative on my credit file which impacted me.

I hate talktalk, this is a utility and IMO not a credit agreement, I too had prepaid a year so there was no credit.

Now that we have class action effectively in law I am just waiting for someone who had had a large loss to sue TalkTalk or get a consumer organisation to sue them so that everyone can join the class after the decision and bankrupt TalkTalk for the consequential loss suffered by millions because THEY ALLOWED themselves to be hacked, not once but twice.

It was confirmed on R4 that there is a scam to fiddle bank accounts which is only possible because of the data obtained from TalkTalk.
    • ffox
    • By ffox 9th Nov 16, 9:14 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ffox
    I had such a horrible experience with Talk Talk today.

I've been a customer for around 18+ months and recently renewed a contract. However, over the past month the quality of their service has literally fallen through the floor. The service keeps choking and there is no access to the service on a random basis. It's basically an optional and unreliable service where at any time you can expect to be disconnected and receive no service. This can be described as kindergarten level reliability. If anything, one thing that you can count on is the Internet cutting out at any time.

The second issue is the Line Rental. They claim Free Internet + Line Rental. This is complete BS. Firstly, the line rental is not this much. And even if you justifiably factor in the cost of the service provided plus the cost of actual line rental (which they do but don't tell) the overall cost of providing Internet access is still hardly this much.

They recently hiked up Line Rental to £18.95. This is the second line rental hike of about £3 per month in the space of just over a year. It used to be around £16 just last summer then it went to £17.70 and now £18.95 in the space of just over one year.

Considering the unpredictable and unreliable quality of their service the charges are totally unjustified. It doesn't cost anywhere near the amount that they along with others charge customers to provide Internet access. This applies to Talk Talk as well as the other ISPs operating in this market.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 10th Nov 16, 10:55 AM
    • 562 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Did you commit to a new 18+ contract or just carry on with prices reverting to standard. Usually TalkTalk try to make customers think they are taking on a new contract.

You have a cooling off period for any distance selling so I would GET OUT.

TalkTalk are the WORST and you are right that the market is dysfunctional.

So you have to find the best deal with best cashback, less loyalty than a petrol station.

TalkTalk have practically doubled their line rental, they also increased things like Anytime calls by 50% and increased the land line calls to virtually mobile rates and they completely rip you off with the excluded call types.

In my experience, this is a company that has complete and utter disdain for it's customers.

I would cancel your service, do not even wait for a new one, use mobile broadband till a better deal comes along, I paid £61 for the year including line rental with Sky via this site. Those deals come around you have to be ready to jump on them.

I do not use a land line anymore, I do not even have a phone connected to it, I use VoIP via a DECT phone, Skype, Facetime audio and whatsapp. The minutes on my £10 a month sim only contract give me 750 minutes which covers the rest.

When I had a gap between broadband suppliers I tethered my phone to my laptop and turned off images in my browser, video is always blocked.

I have heard others on here say that when they did not haggle with TalkTalk and just carried on they experienced a drop in service levels, one wonders if they have a "suckers" category. You know the way the insurance industry do when they hike your £250 per year contract to £950 on renewal.

I had such a horrible experience with Talk Talk today.

I've been a customer for around 18+ months and recently renewed a contract. However, over the past month the quality of their service has literally fallen through the floor. The service keeps choking and there is no access to the service on a random basis. It's basically an optional and unreliable service where at any time you can expect to be disconnected and receive no service. This can be described as kindergarten level reliability. If anything, one thing that you can count on is the Internet cutting out at any time.

The second issue is the Line Rental. They claim Free Internet + Line Rental. This is complete BS. Firstly, the line rental is not this much. And even if you justifiably factor in the cost of the service provided plus the cost of actual line rental (which they do but don't tell) the overall cost of providing Internet access is still hardly this much.

They recently hiked up Line Rental to £18.95. This is the second line rental hike of about £3 per month in the space of just over a year. It used to be around £16 just last summer then it went to £17.70 and now £18.95 in the space of just over one year.

Considering the unpredictable and unreliable quality of their service the charges are totally unjustified. It doesn't cost anywhere near the amount that they along with others charge customers to provide Internet access. This applies to Talk Talk as well as the other ISPs operating in this market.
    Originally posted by ffox
    • ffox
    • By ffox 10th Nov 16, 3:53 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ffox
    Add to that a few more things about Talk Talk.

They have touted over recent months of getting rid of line rental. They haven't. Why don't they stop the BS and give one combined price for the service offered. It's not as if customers have any control over the line rental. People should realise that they use Line Rental as a seperate charge in order to justify hiking prices up mid-contract. When you call them and put this question to them they say that in fact *they* don't have any control over line rental as it's set by the telecom provider (ie, BT). Liars!

They tout that the service doesn't slow down during peak times and during peak usage. Another lie. It's 330pm in the afternoon and the service is choking as usual.

I am on the 17Mbps basic broadband package. I get around 5Mbps out of it. I appreciate this is the basic package. But if the service is unreliable, keeps choking and Talk Talk keep hiking prices up, use underhand tactics of concealment and dishonesty which are deliberately designed to mislead customers then I have a problem with that.
    • Frjack
    • By Frjack 10th Nov 16, 6:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Frjack
    Just renewed with Plusnet. I'd been checking deals and their present deal was the best... for new customers...

They called earlier today, with the usual retention offers. £20-whatever on an 18 month contract.

I said I wasn't interested in tying into anything more than 12 months and paying any more than I pay, now.

The usual "I'll talk to my supervisor" pause ensued. A couple of minutes later the rep was back and gave me exactly what I wanted. That was it, I thought. Job done. But... then... the £50 cashback was added, too.

I've never had a problem with speed, customer service, or connectivity, just a couple of times (literally) when the router needed a reboot, which was less than I expected from a basic router.

So... I'm happy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

456Posts Today

3,387Users online

Martin's Twitter