Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 73
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 27th Aug 16, 5:25 PM
    • 2,133 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    csgohan4
    I'd be wary about that - simply because they're using Daisy to provide their service.

SSE also use Daisy and make similar claims about traffic shaping. In reality, though, speeds drop in the evening by as much as 80% - so much so that BBC iPlayer can be unusable.

It's not traffic shaping, they say. Simply lack of capacity. And if Daisy don't have sufficient capacity to handle SSE customers, how bad is it going to be once they've added Vodafone to their stable? And I use the word 'stable' advisedly.
    Originally posted by Doc N

That's worrying in terms for the end user
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 27th Aug 16, 10:33 PM
    • 5,796 Posts
    • 18,671 Thanks
    Doc N
    Hi, useful info as I'm considering switching from BT to Vodafone on price basis. Do the concerns RE Daisy apply to the Vodafone Fibre options as well as broadband or should the Fibre be OK? thanks
    Originally posted by pieman_71
    The problems are with fibre, I'm afraid. They may also be with ordinary broadband, but I have no knowledge on that point. I can personally vouch for the fibre problems - and on the positive side it's given me the chance to leave SSE without penalties. You do have to fight a bit to get to that stage, but SSE seems pretty good on customer service. Not sure that's the case with Vodafone.
    • jmdnnlln
    • By jmdnnlln 31st Aug 16, 11:33 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    jmdnnlln
    Mine is more an economy system, you must be getting far higher quality than me, I have about 480 films and hundreds of series but only use about 2tb.

Beauty of Plex is that you can make it what you want, high end theatre or just an average system that works well on most devices.

Wives love Plex because GONE are all those DVD libraries messing up the living room.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    It is a quality program, I have also started selling off my DVD'S as there's no need for them, best thing is of course I can watch anything on any tv throughout my house which my wife also loves The only thing is I didn't set it in raid. which has me somewhat worried for the long term. With so much data stored if one disk goes down i'm scuppered. Looks like another drive investment is imminent!
    Last edited by jmdnnlln; 31-08-2016 at 11:35 AM.
    • jmdnnlln
    • By jmdnnlln 31st Aug 16, 11:36 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    jmdnnlln
    Ok I have had some input within this forum and I thought an update was in order.
    Initially when I first took on SSE My download speed on P2P were appalling, however now and for the last couple of months things have settled down and I can drop in a download with speeds of 6-8 mbps. Movies are a breeze and my http connections are brilliant. so much so I have now dropped my Netherlands seedbox. Happy days :0
    • acrmnsm
    • By acrmnsm 8th Sep 16, 6:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    acrmnsm
    Plusnet deal does not work.
    The latest article offers plusnet "Broadband and line rent £186 over 12mths, get £75 back*
    IF LINE RENT PAID UPFRONT. PAID MONTHLY IT'S £216"
    But when you click through there is no pay upfront option?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Sep 16, 12:40 PM
    • 19,782 Posts
    • 38,781 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    An advert for cheap broadband caught my eye in the Post Office yesterday. The introductory deal is unlimited broadband for £3/month, plus monthly line rental for £16.99/month, for a minimum of 18 months. This is a much better deal than my Virgin Media package, which has crept up to a shocking £60+/month (I would happily foresake the TV element as I can stream what I want online).

Has anyone on the forum actually tried it? I've looked online and reviews are not good.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Leear
    • By Leear 20th Sep 16, 1:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leear
    Extra £2.50 for Sky
    Years ago, when Sky took over O2 broadband, I migrated from O2 to Sky on the same T&Cs, but looking at the bills, I see that Sky charge me an extra £2.50 per month for...NOT having Sky TV! but... I can save £2.50 per month if I pay extra and get Sky TV!

Is it just me or is this extra fee for not having something or saving a small amount by paying a bigger amount wrong?
    • Leear
    • By Leear 20th Sep 16, 2:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leear
    It might even be better?
    Looks like the Post Office also has a line saver tariff so it's £14.99 if paid in advance for a year. I would post a link, but as a new user, they don't let me yet
    • doveman
    • By doveman 22nd Sep 16, 12:24 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    doveman
    Sky website not working
    The Sky offer website hasn't been working all day for me. When I click "Get Started" on the screen which offers the choice of Broadband Unlimited or Fibre Unlimited I get the following error (whichever one I choose)

"Unable to continue with your order
    An error has occurred
    Unfortunately, we have not been able to proceed with your order. To continue by phone, please call 0800 151 2758."

I don't really want to phone them though as it takes longer giving all my details over the phone and I'm suspicious that the offer won't be honoured if I order by phone.
    • doveman
    • By doveman 25th Sep 16, 3:12 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    doveman
    Sky website still giving the same error and I've e-mailed them and they haven't been able to suggest anything that helps. Seems weird that no-one else is complaining though, as I would have thought loads of people would be interested in this deal.
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 25th Sep 16, 8:37 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    anactuary
    Try clearing your cookies and emptying the cache of your browser.
    • doveman
    • By doveman 26th Sep 16, 12:25 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    doveman
    Thanks, that got me a bit further but now when I enter my postcode and choose my address, or enter my postcode and phone number, it says it's "unable to check if Sky Broadband and Talk is available" so I can't add it to my basket and proceed!

I know it is available as I had it a couple of years ago before I switched back to BT.
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 26th Sep 16, 12:44 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    anactuary
    Maybe a couple of other things to try:

1. Go to another ISP site and see if you can check if you can have their broadband (to see if it's a Sky issue or a database issue affecting your address)

2. Install and try another browser, or try on a phone or tablet (not necessarily to buy, but as a test).
    • doveman
    • By doveman 26th Sep 16, 12:59 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    doveman
    OK, they seem to have fixed it now and I've been able to add it to my basket. I just need to check with them that the transfer won't go ahead before my contract with BT ends on 26 October, as I imagine BT could hit me with some sort of fee if I end the contract early.
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 26th Sep 16, 1:47 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    Lungboy
    My Plusnet deal ends at the beginning of November, and the new Sky deal is very tempting. For my Plusnet, I paid for the full year upfront to get a special offer, so will there be any charges if I switch now, a month or so ahead of the end of my contract? I can't find much on the Plusnet website.
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 26th Sep 16, 1:52 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    anactuary
    My Plusnet deal ends at the beginning of November, and the new Sky deal is very tempting. For my Plusnet, I paid for the full year upfront to get a special offer, so will there be any charges if I switch now, a month or so ahead of the end of my contract? I can't find much on the Plusnet website.
    Originally posted by Lungboy
    I think you'll pay a penalty for the outstanding broadband term (even if it's currently free) and the standard £30 for cessation or moving to an LLU ISP (like Sky or TalkTalk).
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 26th Sep 16, 2:35 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    Lungboy
    As I paid the full year upfront, is there an outstanding term?
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 26th Sep 16, 2:41 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    anactuary
    As I paid the full year upfront, is there an outstanding term?
    Originally posted by Lungboy
    I think I read somewhere that there is for free broadband (but not line rental as you paid explicitly for that). I can't find it at the moment but think it was on the MSE or Plusnet forums.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,124Posts Today

8,289Users online

Martin's Twitter