Shop Radio License? scammers?

Comments

• my husband is a taxi driver and if he wants to play his car stereo while taking passengers he also has to pay a tax!
    its all crap if you ask me.......
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The PRS are using tactics, wording and mailing that is just as bad as Crapita and the TV Licence. If they want to stoop that low I hope they fail to collect any decent amount of revenue.
    The man without a signature.
  • uktyler
    uktyler Posts: 872 Forumite
    vikingaero wrote: »
    The PRS are using tactics, wording and mailing that is just as bad as Crapita and the TV Licence. If they want to stoop that low I hope they fail to collect any decent amount of revenue.

I agree the tactics they use are bad, but the money goes to the musicians. If you listen to the radio all day then you are getting the benefit of the music, and not contributing.

If you don't want to pay then turn the radio off.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    uktyler wrote: »
    I agree the tactics they use are bad, but the money goes to the musicians. If you listen to the radio all day then you are getting the benefit of the music, and not contributing.

That would hold merit if the artists didn't already get "play" royalties from any radio "plays" anyway. When you listen to the radio in your car the artists are getting royalties and you as a driver aren't paying a license to listen. The money is already being generated (ad revenue etc). The logic you're using doesn't hold unless you're applying it to everywhere you listen to the radio but radio licenses haven't existed in decades and artists already get money from it. In essence what you're suggesting is that the artists get two lots of royalties for each play of their music. The playing royalties by the radio station (which is paid by ad revenue in the case of commercial stations, generated in proportion to number of listeners) and then again by everyone who is actually listening. Not to mention it applies to pre existing media as well such as CDs, so you're paying just to listen to a CD that you've already paid for and your money gone directly to the artists already.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • uktyler
    Maybe its time to reintroduce radio licences. The rules state that the artist gets money from his record sales, radio royalties, and from People who play the radio in workplaces and shops.

With the increase in pirate music in the digital age, the musician is getting less and less money.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Maybe its time to reintroduce radio licences. The rules state that the artist gets money from his record sales, radio royalties, and from People who play the radio in workplaces and shops.

With the increase in pirate music in the digital age, the musician is getting less and less money.

What would a radio license serve (I don't think money from radio licenses ever went to music artists anyway :confused: , only for funding public broadcast which is still completely funded today already anyway with plenty of money)? As I said they ALREADY get royalties from radio. How are they missing out from radio and what on earth difference does it make with pirated music which has nothing to do with radio listening? Or are you now suggesting that to cover the costs of piracy, legitimate music users should be paying even more?
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • uktyler
    ? Or are you now suggesting that to cover the costs of piracy, legitimate music users should be paying even more?

No legitimate music listeners should pay what they owe, employers with radios in the workplace should pay.

This is not a new tax, its about collecting an old tax.

The rules are already there, the collection methods may be dubious, but the money should still be paid.

If you don't want to pay it don't listen at work, its simple.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Superscraper has already highlighted how royalties are already paid when a radio station plays a track. I don't listen to radio at work or at home. The only radio stations I listen to are commercial radio stations, Invicta FM and Capital.

The PRS are just another self appointed quango type organisation created to fund their own importance. If you look at one of their letters it says that of all the amount of revenue collect 58% of it went to artists and musicians that they paid less than £250 each.
    The man without a signature.
  • uktyler wrote: »

Yes, I often think to myself that musicians are getting less and less money when I'm watching "Cribs" on MTV. Some have to limit themselves to 3 or even as little as 2 vehicles.
  • BagpussBoy wrote: »
    Yes, I often think to myself that musicians are getting less and less money when I'm watching "Cribs" on MTV. Some have to limit themselves to 3 or even as little as 2 vehicles.

:rotfl:

Oh thank you for making me laugh so much today!!! I needed it :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family