Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 37
    • Steve3S13
    • By Steve3S13 31st Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Steve3S13
    the price includes all 11 windows and two composite doors and two french doors. Comp doors are Trudoor

Had another local yesterday who uses Rockdoor, same number of doors, windows and french doors.
    £8.2k with double glazed units and £10.2 k, triple glazed but he did not recommend triple as he said the weight of the glass puts strain on the hinges over time.

thanks

Both guys will put in upvc window sills inside, over our existing mdf sills.
    Both have a good name and reviews locally
    Originally posted by Steve3S13
    We have decided on our local guy, not the cheapest of the two locals but I prefer the look of the Trudoor composites he has over the Rockdoor doors the cheaper guy is using. The Trudoor guy uses Rehau frames the other Eurocel or Spectus frames.
    We can upgrade all windows and french doors to triple glazing for £1300 with Mr Trudoor.
    I need a little advice........would the weight of a triple glazed french door put a strain on the frame or hinges as these are left open for long periods in the warmer weather
    • greenface
    • By greenface 1st Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    greenface
    We have decided on our local guy, not the cheapest of the two locals but I prefer the look of the Trudoor composites he has over the Rockdoor doors the cheaper guy is using. The Trudoor guy uses Rehau frames the other Eurocel or Spectus frames.
    We can upgrade all windows and french doors to triple glazing for £1300 with Mr Trudoor.
    I need a little advice........would the weight of a triple glazed french door put a strain on the frame or hinges as these are left open for long periods in the warmer weather
    Originally posted by Steve3S13
    Not normally on French doors just make sure they pack them properly . often called toe n heeled . the hinges are superior and stronger . Think of getting some hinge restrictors on them to stop the wind catching if theyre opening out (normally are ) if they are subject to being "over opened" beyond and hinges strained forced it can cause some problems . Theyre not expensive and easy to fit yourself if its an afterthought . let us know all goes well .
    edit .. or alternative is to use a hook and eye and keep them open if possible .
    Last edited by greenface; 01-02-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world
    • MamaT
    • By MamaT 3rd Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MamaT
    Hello all,

We've got 2 quotes for 10 UPVC Windows and a back door for £5k (crystalA+ rated) and 4.8k (local company C rated)

They are all in white frame and chrome handles. We are in greater London area.

Here are the window openings
    W*H
    1) 2700 * 1350 - kitchen
    2)2400* 1200 -bedroom
    3)1800 *1200 -bedroom
    4)2400*1200 - bedroom
    5) 600*1350
    6)1800*600
    7)400*800
    8)1200*1100
    9)1200*1050
    10)1200*1050

Please does the price seem reasonable?

We are looking to go with Crystal cos of the A rated plus they are also including trickle vents on 5 Windows.
    Is that all we should be basing our decisions on?

Thanks for your help

MamaT
    Last edited by MamaT; 03-02-2018 at 1:38 PM.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 6th Feb 18, 11:44 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    greenface
    I would go with the rated widows for the price difference alone . if fitted the same way and made good . Rated windows are just the frames / glass and locking systems . what makes them great is the thought and afterthought of how to make them look great and insulated in every opportunity so they last longer and are hassle free. London prices again . I'm beginning to know less the more I know more . That's 400 a window and tour door for a grand . seems about normal
    • Steve3S13
    • By Steve3S13 8th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Steve3S13
    Not normally on French doors just make sure they pack them properly . often called toe n heeled . the hinges are superior and stronger . Think of getting some hinge restrictors on them to stop the wind catching if theyre opening out (normally are ) if they are subject to being "over opened" beyond and hinges strained forced it can cause some problems . Theyre not expensive and easy to fit yourself if its an afterthought . let us know all goes well .
    edit .. or alternative is to use a hook and eye and keep them open if possible .
    Originally posted by greenface
    Someone in work has recommended another local family owned company, good local name and been in business since 1998. They do not make windows but supply fit and repair. Guarantee is 10 years.
    Nice info pack and had loads of windows and doors to demo at theie business.
    They use Safechoice windows which I gather is a company that uses Duraflex window profiles.
    Any views on the product or company?
    thanks
    Steve
    • usman330
    • By usman330 8th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    usman330
    Just bought a renovation house, have got a team of builders doing the project, I am going to get supply, the following items (in cm's):

1 Upstairs front small bedroom 2 top openers 171w x 119h
    2 Upstairs master bedroom 2 top openers 234w x 120h
    3 Back bedroom 1 side opener 174w x 114h
    4 Bathroom small 1 top opener, obscured glass 34w x 72h
    5 Bathroom big 1 side opener, obscured glass 115w 100h
    6 Hallway upstairs 1 top opener, obscured glass 57w x 102h
    7 Downstairs new wc 1 top opener, obscured glass 34w x 72h
    8 Living room 2 top openers 289w x 147h
    9 Kitchen 2 side openers 153w x 106h

Composite front door 86w x 202h
    Patio sliding doors 177w x 200h

Been quoted around £2800-£3200 from a few trade suppliers (supply only). Anyone know if this is a decent price?

They are all using differant profiles, which profile is better, Eurocell, Optima S or Synerjy ?

What else should I be looking out for in terms of quality UPVC double glazing ?

Thanks
    • greenface
    • By greenface 9th Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    greenface
    Just bought a renovation house, have got a team of builders doing the project, I am going to get supply, the following items (in cm's):

1 Upstairs front small bedroom 2 top openers 171w x 119h
    2 Upstairs master bedroom 2 top openers 234w x 120h
    3 Back bedroom 1 side opener 174w x 114h
    4 Bathroom small 1 top opener, obscured glass 34w x 72h
    5 Bathroom big 1 side opener, obscured glass 115w 100h
    6 Hallway upstairs 1 top opener, obscured glass 57w x 102h
    7 Downstairs new wc 1 top opener, obscured glass 34w x 72h
    8 Living room 2 top openers 289w x 147h
    9 Kitchen 2 side openers 153w x 106h

Composite front door 86w x 202h
    Patio sliding doors 177w x 200h

Been quoted around £2800-£3200 from a few trade suppliers (supply only). Anyone know if this is a decent price?

They are all using differant profiles, which profile is better, Eurocell, Optima S or Synerjy ?

What else should I be looking out for in terms of quality UPVC double glazing ?

Thanks
    Originally posted by usman330
    eurocell use a few different types and brands of frames depending what your looking for . all good btw but so are the others . synergy is normally the cheaper of the names above . price is decent do your builders prefer any of the above or can they get trade discounts etc . comp doors range from 350 to over 900 so depending what you want and spec . and white frames . you can shop around and possibly beat but its not bad .
    • MamaT
    • By MamaT 12th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MamaT
    I would go with the rated widows for the price difference alone . if fitted the same way and made good . Rated windows are just the frames / glass and locking systems . what makes them great is the thought and afterthought of how to make them look great and insulated in every opportunity so they last longer and are hassle free. London prices again . I'm beginning to know less the more I know more . That's 400 a window and tour door for a grand . seems about normal
    Many thanks Greenface much appreciated and apologies for late reply.
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    bobwilson
    I was quoted £99,000 for double glazing 7 windows in a 3 bed terraced. The company was called Anglian.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 15th Feb 18, 6:14 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    greenface
    I was quoted £99,000 for double glazing 7 windows in a 3 bed terraced. The company was called Anglian.
    Originally posted by bobwilson
    that's ridiculous . I will do it for £80,000 (after ive called the boss)
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    bobwilson
    that's ridiculous . I will do it for £80,000 (after ive called the boss)
    I'm serious. When I laughed at them at their quote, they offered a discount.. £60,000 instead of £99,000. Still serious. Anglian double glazing.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 15th Feb 18, 8:00 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    greenface
    that's less than 10 grand a frame . Are you London . snap their hands off
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th Feb 18, 9:38 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    bobwilson
    that's less than 10 grand a frame . Are you London . snap their hands off
    not central london no, zone 4 so kind of suburbia & not an expensive area. Anglian are a nationwide company. They told me their prices are the same regardless of location. :/
    • swtchick87
    • By swtchick87 16th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    swtchick87
    Good afternoon.

I am looking at replacing the double glazing for my house, which we bought last year. I don't have measurements yet. Can anyone guide me on what i need to do to start with? How to obtain quotes?
    Last edited by swtchick87; 19-02-2018 at 7:25 PM.
    Wife and Mummy of two beautiful girls
    • greenface
    • By greenface 16th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    greenface
    not central london no, zone 4 so kind of suburbia & not an expensive area. Anglian are a nationwide company. They told me their prices are the same regardless of location. :/
    Originally posted by bobwilson
    Heres what you can get for 90k my end . new windows already done

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69387725.html
    • greenface
    • By greenface 16th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    greenface
    Good afternoon.

I am looking at replacing the double glazing for my house, which we bought last year. It is a 4 bed town house in havering. I don't have measurements yet. Can anyone guide me on what i need to do to start with? How to obtain quotes?
    Originally posted by swtchick87
    google double glazing windows in havering . get some local companies to give you a ball park . look up what sort of look you are going for such as styles and colours . go onto see what type of doors you are looking for and take a pic eg.
    • Aky
    • By Aky 17th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aky
    How much should I pay for 3 beds house double gla?
    Hi Guys,
    I have received a quote of £7300 to replace my aluminium old draughty windows and 4 doors into upvc double glazing. My house has 26 windows in which got 3 bay windows (total of 13 windows in three bays). Front main composite door, entire porch with door and two doors at the rear of the property. All having chrome handles. Clearing up all the rubbish. Does this sound ok?? All these windows frames having metal inside and bay windows have additional metal pillars for the strengthening I suppose.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 18th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    greenface
    Hi Guys,
    I have received a quote of £7300 to replace my aluminium old draughty windows and 4 doors into upvc double glazing. My house has 26 windows in which got 3 bay windows (total of 13 windows in three bays). Front main composite door, entire porch with door and two doors at the rear of the property. All having chrome handles. Clearing up all the rubbish. Does this sound ok?? All these windows frames having metal inside and bay windows have additional metal pillars for the strengthening I suppose.
    Originally posted by Aky
    sound good if you did 500 for uPVC doors and 800 for your comp that's 5000 for 26 windows approx. 200 a window . seems decent . taking out alli in timber subframes leaves little mess to make good (normally ) .
    • Aky
    • By Aky 18th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aky
    Thanks Greenface
    • Mummyel
    • By Mummyel 21st Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mummyel
    Double Glazing
    Oh my gosh, I've heard such shocking stories about how they rip people off How do they sleep at night?

We used. Just Value Doors for our windows and doors,i can't remember how much exactly as it was a while ago now, but I remember thinking it was reasonable. Best bit being that I didn't have to deal with the awkward salesman pitch because I got my quote directly from their website

el
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

2,172Users online

Martin's Twitter