Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 35
    • Adrian Dorr
    • By Adrian Dorr 25th Nov 17, 10:22 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Adrian Dorr
    I replaced the windows in my 1930 semi last year with Swedish timber double glazed units from rational. Total of 22 panes, 7 opening outwards. Total was 5000 + VAT delivered to the front door. I installed them myself, but even if you allow a gererous 2000 for fitting them youd get height quality windows that last a hell of a lot longer and look much better than your standard uPVC window.
    Got great help by email from the uk supplier Greenmoose.
    Im very happy with the result and have the smartest windows in the road (IMHO).
    To keep the cost down I had to have only one opening one per window, but two for the upstairs to keep the weight down since I was doing the work by myself, so could have shaved a another 300 of otherwise. Total is two bay windows, four two pane windows and one one pane and tree pane each.
    Last edited by Adrian Dorr; 25-11-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 26th Nov 17, 4:52 PM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    greenface
    @greenface

Many thanks your insight. It is hard to see what you get from the websites. The doors do slide in opposite directions from the centre. all seem pretty good so probably going to go with cheapest. any idea of what the benefit would be for going for the more expensive ones? Which would you use?

thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by jphayes
    the one that looks you in the eye , strokes your dog & knows what they are talking about . ( I would choose the cheapest from the 3 options )cannot see any benefit from giving some one more than you need to ..
    North Wales Holiday Home Owner
    • jphayes
    • By jphayes 26th Nov 17, 6:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jphayes
    @ greenface
    thanks!
    • hughjonesd
    • By hughjonesd 27th Nov 17, 10:33 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hughjonesd
    Cost for wood windows in conservation area
    Hi all,

I've got a quote for double glazed windows in a conservation area - so the new ones have to be similar to the old ones, including wooden frames. Four casement windows, all more or less 1m by 1m, and 1 sash window 1.7m by 1m. They're offering meranti hardwood, for a total price of about 6100 including VAT. This is a local company and they make the frames themselves.

Should I negotiate? Does the price seem reasonable?

Thanks for your help .

Cheers,
    David
    • greenface
    • By greenface 27th Nov 17, 11:21 PM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    greenface
    Hi all,

I've got a quote for double glazed windows in a conservation area - so the new ones have to be similar to the old ones, including wooden frames. Four casement windows, all more or less 1m by 1m, and 1 sash window 1.7m by 1m. They're offering meranti hardwood, for a total price of about 6100 including VAT. This is a local company and they make the frames themselves.

Should I negotiate? Does the price seem reasonable?

Thanks for your help .

Cheers,
    David
    Originally posted by hughjonesd
    Always negotiate . If you havent gone red your not going low enough . price around if you are not tied into using a certain company . Your box sash is the pricey one and some timber companies do not do them so it shortens your search . Meranti is a good timber . more expensive than Philippino Mahogany which is similar in every aspect . Always going to be an expensive job and doesnt seem over priced , The timber trims can add up to . Screw them down then screw a bit more .
    • Lornski
    • By Lornski 1st Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lornski
    Elderly relative agreed first DG quote
    I have an elderly relative who invited one of the big DG firms into his home today. He lives in a ground floor flat with 4 small windows and 2 larger (living room, bedroom) windows. The quote started at 15000 and ended at 5000, 4 hours later.
    He was told that he'd been selected for the "green deal" and had to sign up there and then.
    I guess I just wanted to check if that price seems reasonable, we're in Glasgow. Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as the green deal or is it just a marketing scam? Lastly, I presume the cooling off period would be respected by a large company?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 1st Dec 17, 10:36 PM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    greenface
    I have an elderly relative who invited one of the big DG firms into his home today. He lives in a ground floor flat with 4 small windows and 2 larger (living room, bedroom) windows. The quote started at 15000 and ended at 5000, 4 hours later.
    He was told that he'd been selected for the "green deal" and had to sign up there and then.
    I guess I just wanted to check if that price seems reasonable, we're in Glasgow. Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as the green deal or is it just a marketing scam? Lastly, I presume the cooling off period would be respected by a large company?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by Lornski
    too expensive without anymore information for 6 windows fitted in a ground floor flat . cancel anyway then help him shop around and please try to avoid any sales patter when someone sits there for 4 hours selling frames to an elderly person its hard sell . get shut of them . green deal is just lip service , remember someone giving you XX off if you trade in your old frames . WTF does that even mean ??? at 500 a window is 3k and that seems overpriced . Whats coming out /in . do you need freeholders permission or is there a tenants committee etc . but get shut of the hardseller within your cooling off and tell them not to contact him again (or you) have they gave them a deposit ? how did they pay if so
    • Lornski
    • By Lornski 1st Dec 17, 10:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lornski
    Thanks so much Greenface. They've paid 500 as deposit, presumably cheque or card as they wouldn't have had that money on them. I've explained that there's a cooling off period and suggested we withdraw tomorrow.

It's a four in a block, ex local authority flat. Current UPVC windows have been in for a while and suffering from condensation so that was why they fell for all of that "you've been specially selected for the green deal" nonsense.
    Makes me so sad that companies still operate like this.
    Anyway, very grateful for your advice. Thank you.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 4th Dec 17, 11:58 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Any ideas on price? Standard 1950 3 bed, semi detached.

1 X french doors
    1 x composite door
    1 x upvc back door, glass all the way down
    2 x front bay windows (4 openings)
    1 x box room (2 opening)
    1 x bathroom (top opener)
    1 x landing / stairs (1 opener)
    1x hallway (1 top opening)
    1 x kitchen (1 opener)
    1x small lader cupboard (no opener)
    1 x back bed (2 opener)

White UPVC, white handles. A rated windows

Any opinions on price?
    • greenface
    • By greenface 5th Dec 17, 6:05 PM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    greenface
    about 8k max inc vat are your bays 2 or 3 sides . are they welded cills or stone pillar . depending on fit & finish and style of your comp door .ball park from Merseyside prices
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 6th Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    thanks - company matched a price of 6990.
    • thetargetarcher
    • By thetargetarcher 8th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    thetargetarcher
    What is the current fair range or average price per frame for:

1) National Companies?
    2) Local Companies?

A post from about 10 years ago suggested nationals work on around 300 per frame.

So two 5 panels across bays is 10 frames which would be 3K (300 per frame) for this example.

....What you have is a total of 16 frames (1 bay = 5) and national companies generally deal at the 300 per frame mark, so your offer was about right.

Anglian windows are a great make, and well respected in the industry, though are a little more expensive.
    Originally posted by Swerve
    Last edited by thetargetarcher; 08-12-2017 at 2:17 PM. Reason: added quote
    • greenface
    • By greenface 8th Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    greenface
    I'm getting frames for about the same price as 10 years ago and still have a mental price of 300 a frame . where that included a bit of plastic make up. timber arcs or dash etc its now stuck onto the final price so possibly pricing about 350 a frame . to me a 5 framed bay is a bay made up of 5 frames so based at 300 a frame that's 1500 per bay ,Most bays have a mullion and split into 2 glass panes but that's not 2 frames nor much more expensive to have a mullion than not . some center bays on 3 sided are split into 6 glass panes . they have 2 cruciform which costs extra and I add that cost on . if anyone sticks a pic up inside and out of anything I can price and you can hold me to it unless its a hidden cost that pics cannot tell (if it needs a lintel or bellcaste plaster is falling) . internal cills are extra average about 40/50 each
    • greenface
    • By greenface 8th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    greenface
    What is the current fair range or average price per frame for:

1) National Companies?
    2) Local Companies?

A post from about 10 years ago suggested nationals work on around 300 per frame.

So two 5 panels across bays is 10 frames which would be 3K (300 per frame) for this example.
    Originally posted by thetargetarcher
    to answer this base it around 400 and you should be covered in most aspects for a whole house where some are big and some small & in white . Ive recently been challenged by a regular landlord but his frames he wanted were grey/white and 4 from 7 were over 4300 wide wasn't expecting a quote for just short of 5k. He was thinking about half that .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter