Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 34
    • blindman
    • By blindman 9th Jul 17, 2:00 PM
    • 4,978 Posts
    • 4,013 Thanks
    blindman
    @Greenface

Thanks for the Thanks but not sure why?

Anyway here's my quote

Measurements-My rough brick to brick

Windows 17 in total (5 Non opening.)

120cm x 100 x 10 (3 not open)

90cm x 100 x 2

60cm x 100cm x 2 (1 Not open)

66cm x 66cm x 3 (1 Not open)

Doors
    210cm x 100cm x 3

Patio
    210cm x 195cm x 1

Got 3 quotes from Independents who all seem to use Liniar

All A rating glass and secure doors (?)

Cambridgeshire area.

Quotes range from

£7k

£10K

£13K

The £13k is for a Oak effect and doors at £1k each (his words) and the others just plain white (no detail on doors) so I would assume that would bring it down to around £10K

All are local and have good reviews on various sites.

So my question is:-

Why is the cheapest £3K less or is this a fair quote?

What do I need to ask this firm to determine why their quote is way cheaper?

Thanks
    • greenface
    • By greenface 16th Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    greenface
    there maybe a decent firm close to you knocking out liniar for a good price . Liniar is a decent system but something I know little of . 17 white frames brick to brick . depending whats coming out and make up needed could be done for about 5k and not more than 6 add a grand for each comp door and patio theres your 10k I would say max as they are not big frames but 7k is good price for similar profiles and fits but it wouldn't leave a great deal over to be fair , As a job for me I would go in about £8,750 ish and reluctant to drop anything , done within a week

p.s I'm not interested , too far & too busy
    North Wales Holiday Home Owner
    • blindman
    • By blindman 21st Jul 17, 3:14 PM
    • 4,978 Posts
    • 4,013 Thanks
    blindman
    there maybe a decent firm close to you knocking out liniar for a good price . Liniar is a decent system but something I know little of . 17 white frames brick to brick . depending whats coming out and make up needed could be done for about 5k and not more than 6 add a grand for each comp door and patio theres your 10k I would say max as they are not big frames but 7k is good price for similar profiles and fits but it wouldn't leave a great deal over to be fair , As a job for me I would go in about £8,750 ish and reluctant to drop anything , done within a week

p.s I'm not interested , too far & too busy
    Originally posted by greenface
    Final quotes

£9700 Rehau
    £9800 Kommerling
    £10,275 Komerling
    £10,465 Kommerling or Rehau (supposedly)

All same guarantees etc, differences maybe composite doors specs.

So Liniar looks too cheap.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 22nd Jul 17, 12:18 AM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    greenface
    all decent profiles and youre not getting overpriced . go with who you feel will do a good job , That's going to be your saving . quality isn't expensive .. its priceless
    • Dk69
    • By Dk69 31st Jul 17, 9:09 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dk69
    Indication price for 3 large double glazed windows
    Hi,

I have recently moved into a new property in SE Kent and have 8 windows that need replacing, 3 of which are priority.

Just looking for price range that should be looking at before making any calls.

Will be looking for A rated windows which I gather are standard these days.

All fairly big windows.

Front bedroom - 256cm wide and 152 cm high. Split into 3 sections - roughly 200cm x 152 cm non opening. 56cm x 152 cm opening and within that a very small separate opening window at top.

Lounge side - as above

Lounge front - 380cm wide and 152 cm high. Split into 4 sections - roughly 2 middle panes 130cm x 152 cm non opening. 2 outside panes 60 x 152cm opening with again 2 small separate windows opening at top.

General rough price to be looking at would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Last edited by Dk69; 31-07-2017 at 1:47 PM.
    • deker
    • By deker 31st Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    deker
    Could someone please tell what price range to expect to pay for this. All Rosewood on the outside and I'll probably do front & back separately. TIA. Edit: I'm in outer London.

Last edited by deker; 31-07-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Extra info
    • greenface
    • By greenface 6th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    greenface
    Could someone please tell what price range to expect to pay for this. All Rosewood on the outside and I'll probably do front & back separately. TIA. Edit: I'm in outer London.

Originally posted by deker
    10k ish about 5.5 for the front and 4.5 for the back . ROSEWOOD ON WHITE FITTED . that's me sitting at my desk on a sunday in Merseyside without seeing your property . is it a little art deco sort of house with a new extension.
    • deker
    • By deker 6th Aug 17, 8:45 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    deker
    @greenface: thanks very much for the info. Just a 1930's semi with bay windows and extended to the sides and back. Lowest quote so far ~17k
    • Dk69
    • By Dk69 7th Aug 17, 9:04 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dk69
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could just give me rough estimation for price for 3 windows as above post 31/7/17?
    Thanks
    • Dk69
    • By Dk69 9th Aug 17, 3:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dk69
    Greenface - is there any chance you could give me rough idea of what you would expect price to be for the 3 windows. Or is there anything else you need?
    Many thanks
    • greenface
    • By greenface 9th Aug 17, 7:42 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    greenface
    don't expect change from 2k in white (synergy or system70) but thought I posted that last night That's A ROUGH IDEA WHAT I COULD DO IT FOR . pm me a pic (inside and out . and will have a nose at them . theyre all big windows lounge is massive . glad you've split the middle . I wouldn't fancy carrying that . I'm self employed contracting for others fensa regd with no overheads except my van .
    • Dk69
    • By Dk69 10th Aug 17, 8:13 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dk69
    Thanks ever so much. I had a quote from supplier in which I have used to fit v small windows and they quoted about £1900 and then there would be fitting on top. I was not sure what a window company would charge but had hoped it woudlnt be over £3k.

Thanks again for your help it is v apprciated.
    • Windows4You
    • By Windows4You 20th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Windows4You
    Windows
    Hello, we are a Kent based window and door supplier based in Sevenoaks and would be happy to assist you. Regards Tom
    • thetargetarcher
    • By thetargetarcher 21st Nov 17, 10:41 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    thetargetarcher
    3 Bedroom 1930s terraced house
    How much should I be expecting to approximately pay for A or better rated double glazed windows in a 1930s 3 bedroom terraced house in London?

There are:

2 bay windows which each have 6 panels across each bay
    1 bay in the small bedroom with 3 panels across
    3 3 panel windows, the one in the bathroom has frosted glass

I'm unsure if I should replace the double glazed patio door or not. What sort of cost would this be?

All current windows are single glazed made of wood. Wanting to get uvpc and the wooden window sills replaced with uvpc as well.

One local company which has not visited gave an approximate price of £13-15K when I asked. I thought it was going to be more likely to cost around a third of this price. I'm unsure if that is the list price and when it comes down to the actual quote it will be more inline with my estimate.

I think I just want plain glass without any lead patterns. Unsure if to go for white or a coloured wood grain sort of look. I assume white will cost less.

The wooden front door has a piece of single glazed glass in it and for the surround at both sides. Will this be quite expensive to get made to be double glazed either by adding extra glass or replacing the shaped sides?

I did see a house which had tinted glass in the front windows. Probably for some privacy. Does that cost a lot more?

Is it be worth getting soffits and facias replaced in uvpc at the same time to save money? Any idea as to the likely cost?

Thanks for your help.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 21st Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    greenface
    How much should I be expecting to approximately pay for A or better rated double glazed windows in a 1930s 3 bedroom terraced house in London?

There are:

2 bay windows which each have 6 panels across each bay
    1 bay in the small bedroom with 3 panels across
    3 3 panel windows, the one in the bathroom has frosted glass

I'm unsure if I should replace the double glazed patio door or not. What sort of cost would this be?

All current windows are single glazed made of wood. Wanting to get uvpc and the wooden window sills replaced with uvpc as well.

One local company which has not visited gave an approximate price of £13-15K when I asked. I thought it was going to be more likely to cost around a third of this price. I'm unsure if that is the list price and when it comes down to the actual quote it will be more inline with my estimate.

I think I just want plain glass without any lead patterns. Unsure if to go for white or a coloured wood grain sort of look. I assume white will cost less.

The wooden front door has a piece of single glazed glass in it and for the surround at both sides. Will this be quite expensive to get made to be double glazed either by adding extra glass or replacing the shaped sides?

I did see a house which had tinted glass in the front windows. Probably for some privacy. Does that cost a lot more?

Is it be worth getting soffits and facias replaced in uvpc at the same time to save money? Any idea as to the likely cost?

Thanks for your help.
    Originally posted by thetargetarcher
    too vague to give you anything but a guess but that's over a grand a window if you have 3 sided bays . London prices really baffle me being from Merseyside that figure is simply laughable . Half it and knock a bit off and that's a normal 30s house with timber coming out (are they box sash now ? coloured frames and tinted glass (antisun) are more expensive also . soffits and facias will stop people coming back again so all the mess in one job . as for price --its another job that can run seemingly better normally . Impossible to price where you are but try for about £30 running meter see where that gets you . pic would help even one from rightmove of a similar house . all depends whats coming out and the finish
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 23rd Nov 17, 12:32 PM
    • 5,342 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    paulfoel
    To fill in an existing external porch.
    One window - sit on top of existing wall.
    Post in corner.
    Door
    Infill panel.

£3100. Bit high?
    Cymru am Byth !!!
    • jphayes
    • By jphayes 23rd Nov 17, 3:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jphayes
    4 pane sliding door
    Hi all,

New to the forum, and keen to get some advice as I'm struggling. I've been looking at a 4 pane upvc sliding patio door (2200mm x 4200, 0-x-x-0, trickle vent, 1970s house) and I'm finding it hard to see what you get for your money. Three quotes to supply and fit three different door manufacturers from three different companies (all smallish, which trusted traders, FENSA):

1. £2300, Evolve (6pt locking)
    2. £3245, Deceunick 24 (7pt locking)
    3. £3895, KAT door and Rehau windows (6 or 8pt locking)

For me, there are two aspects
    a. the companies could be adding extras / worth checking the guarantees. And
    b. the product, the profiles look similar, does anybody know what is the difference is between them? What do you get for the extra money? What should I be looking for? Or is it just the companies charging more for very similar products?

All thoughts welcome to help make sense of the products and how much to pay for them!

jp
    • greenface
    • By greenface 24th Nov 17, 7:16 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    greenface
    To fill in an existing external porch.
    One window - sit on top of existing wall.
    Post in corner.
    Door
    Infill panel.

£3100. Bit high?
    Originally posted by paulfoel
    yes what door ? any roof , seems expensive but it could be a huge window . pic would help
    • greenface
    • By greenface 24th Nov 17, 7:24 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    greenface
    Hi all,

New to the forum, and keen to get some advice as I'm struggling. I've been looking at a 4 pane upvc sliding patio door (2200mm x 4200, 0-x-x-0, trickle vent, 1970s house) and I'm finding it hard to see what you get for your money. Three quotes to supply and fit three different door manufacturers from three different companies (all smallish, which trusted traders, FENSA):

1. £2300, Evolve (6pt locking)
    2. £3245, Deceunick 24 (7pt locking)
    3. £3895, KAT door and Rehau windows (6 or 8pt locking)

For me, there are two aspects
    a. the companies could be adding extras / worth checking the guarantees. And
    b. the product, the profiles look similar, does anybody know what is the difference is between them? What do you get for the extra money? What should I be looking for? Or is it just the companies charging more for very similar products?

All thoughts welcome to help make sense of the products and how much to pay for them!

jp
    Originally posted by jphayes
    1 & 2 maybe sliders and 3 maybe tilt & glide . a bit more expensive but may explain why 2 profiles , all known and been around a while profiles not sure what the KAT is. Are the 2 doors sliding the same or different ways (I expect you to say different) trying to work out an 8 point locking system . Ive recently done one for 2700 inc timber make up & cill into existing hole . simple seal outside
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

4,022Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin