Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 33
    • WYSPECIAL
    • By WYSPECIAL 26th Feb 17, 11:26 AM
    • 307 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    WYSPECIAL
    Hi can anyone give a ball park figure on this?

2x 760x1700 with 1 opening

1 1050x1620 with 2 openings

a dormer made up of 1x 1100x1500 with 2 openings and two triangular frames each 1400x1500 measured from the right angle which don't open

1 standard size door which has a fixed unit above it 350mm high

West Yorkshire region.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 28th Feb 17, 7:14 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    greenface
    Hi can anyone give a ball park figure on this?

2x 760x1700 with 1 opening

1 1050x1620 with 2 openings

a dormer made up of 1x 1100x1500 with 2 openings and two triangular frames each 1400x1500 measured from the right angle which don't open

1 standard size door which has a fixed unit above it 350mm high

West Yorkshire region.
    Originally posted by WYSPECIAL
    Difficult one and the first thought is can you get the 3 dormer frames up the inside or will it need to go up the outside .Is it 3 floors or 2 . change from £3k with a pvcu door (depending on style) and £3.4k with a decent comp door . Depending on fit a finish but that's ballpark fit and finish . could be cheaper slightly In my head and your sizes I see a mid 50s ex council style . "ready to be shot down"
    North Wales Holiday Home Owner
    • WYSPECIAL
    • By WYSPECIAL 28th Feb 17, 9:25 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    WYSPECIAL
    In my head and your sizes I see a mid 50s ex council style . "ready to be shot down"
    Originally posted by greenface
    Bit older, four floored Victorian end terrace.
    Yes it is three storey. Will that add to cost?

Others of same style have been fitted without scaffolding so presume done from the inside as no way would anyone go up there on a ladder!
    • greenface
    • By greenface 1st Mar 17, 11:39 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    greenface
    Bit older, four floored Victorian end terrace.
    Yes it is three storey. Will that add to cost?

Others of same style have been fitted without scaffolding so presume done from the inside as no way would anyone go up there on a ladder!
    Originally posted by WYSPECIAL
    I WOULDNT GO UP THERE either. can be done inside but sometimes its difficult to get large frames up to the top floor due to turns in the staircase , price is the same .Its difficult to guess sometimes and pics always help but now we could be looking at a lot of timber inside or even box sash
    edit~ if timbers they can cause trouble to your coving (if any)
    • Claire12345
    • By Claire12345 8th Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Claire12345
    Quote for doble glazing
    Hi thank you for the quote - he asks do you know roughly how much triple glazing would be for the same?
    Sorry my original post was sent 28 feb
    Last edited by Claire12345; 08-03-2017 at 5:42 PM.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 10th Mar 17, 11:32 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    greenface
    about £400 to £500 extra due to middle pane needs to be toughened on triple ..ballpark.. ish.. That's 4/8/4/8/4
    • anxiousmother
    • By anxiousmother 12th Apr 17, 7:23 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anxiousmother
    Double glazing cost
    Today, received a quote for 4 windows each with one opening from Safe Style - 2 x kitchen, 1 landing, 1 bedroom. Was quoted almost approximately £2600.00 which I thought a bit steep. Salesperson came with sample of one of their windows. Looks excellent quality but I did not expect it to cost this much. He asked me what cost I expected and I told him and he was willing to bring the price down to that figure. I lost faith by this stage.

Has anyone heard of or used Windowquoter.co.uk?

Went onto this site, put in measurements for windows/number of openings and was given a rough estimate of costs for 4 windows, ranging from Basic £790 - Standard £1054 - Luxrury £1317.

Windowquoter claim to be able to put me in touch with a window company in my area that have received good customer reviews.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 21st Apr 17, 9:54 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    greenface
    Today, received a quote for 4 windows each with one opening from Safe Style - 2 x kitchen, 1 landing, 1 bedroom. Was quoted almost approximately £2600.00 which I thought a bit steep. Salesperson came with sample of one of their windows. Looks excellent quality but I did not expect it to cost this much. He asked me what cost I expected and I told him and he was willing to bring the price down to that figure. I lost faith by this stage.

Has anyone heard of or used Windowquoter.co.uk?

Went onto this site, put in measurements for windows/number of openings and was given a rough estimate of costs for 4 windows, ranging from Basic £790 - Standard £1054 - Luxrury £1317.

Windowquoter claim to be able to put me in touch with a window company in my area that have received good customer reviews.
    Originally posted by anxiousmother
    What sort of sizes and style of house ? If safestyle cannot give you an honest quote from the onset you know they are robbing you already . I would also think £800 is too cheap for 4 frames although not impossible but expect extras ontop of that quote . windowquoter doesn't give you true figures it gets people on your doorstep . !300 is about right without knowing more .
    • JanSim
    • By JanSim 9th May 17, 5:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JanSim
    Wanted across the water
    The price of double glazing over here (Netherlands) is ridiculous compared to UK.
    Does anyone know of a UK company that could make windows and doors for us and also deliver and fit them ?
    • greenface
    • By greenface 11th May 17, 10:14 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    greenface
    The price of double glazing over here (Netherlands) is ridiculous compared to UK.
    Does anyone know of a UK company that could make windows and doors for us and also deliver and fit them ?
    Originally posted by JanSim
    you need a decent joiner or builder who travels across regular . pick up this side and fit other . I know that's obvious but might widen your idea s
    • Jilwil55
    • By Jilwil55 12th May 17, 11:38 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jilwil55
    How To Buy Double Glazing
    Hi all,

Signed up purposefully to share an article wrote about buying double glazing which has ruffled a few feathers because of the honesty! Sales tricks to avoid like the 'huge discounts' and how homeowners should go about buying to get a fair deal.

However, being a newbie I can't post the link. How can I contact a moderator, or if someone wants to volunteer to vet the article and see if they think its worth sharing, how could I get the article to them?

Thanks
    • greenface
    • By greenface 22nd May 17, 11:07 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    greenface
    Hi all,

Signed up purposefully to share an article wrote about buying double glazing which has ruffled a few feathers because of the honesty! Sales tricks to avoid like the 'huge discounts' and how homeowners should go about buying to get a fair deal.

However, being a newbie I can't post the link. How can I contact a moderator, or if someone wants to volunteer to vet the article and see if they think its worth sharing, how could I get the article to them?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jilwil55
    Just tell them to google the info . We are in the 21st century now . Buyer beware . Price around and bag a deal from a recommended installer pay on satisfaction of the job . there ya go done it for ya
    • Jilwil55
    • By Jilwil55 23rd May 17, 2:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jilwil55
    Not quite, but good effort...
    • greenface
    • By greenface 23rd May 17, 6:01 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    greenface
    Thanks . My best sales patter is "I'm not a sales rep !" Just tell us the link you want to spam and we can read it
    • Jilwil55
    • By Jilwil55 23rd May 17, 7:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jilwil55
    Got to love self appointed forum Police and their unjustified self importance. Not to mention the need to try and impress other forum users with their 'amazing post / reply count and wit'

Stand down officer, we're dealing direct with the organ grinder now (MSE) and as you probably know, being such an informed and important member of their community, they deal with content distribution themselves (as we have discovered since posting originally)

Thanks for your input though.

Time to up your reply count.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 25th May 17, 11:01 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    greenface
    No mention then ? ! I'm genuinely interested in reading it . 3 posts no info .
    • Tonasom
    • By Tonasom 17th Jun 17, 11:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tonasom
    Double glazing cost
    Can you please share the details of the provider who did double glazing for you. Thanks
    • Tonasom
    • By Tonasom 17th Jun 17, 11:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tonasom
    Double glazing
    Can you please share the company you used plz
    • greenface
    • By greenface 19th Jun 17, 11:46 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    greenface
    Can you please share the company you used plz
    Originally posted by Tonasom
    Hi tom & welcome to MSE . who are you directing the question to ?
    • blindman
    • By blindman 6th Jul 17, 10:49 AM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,990 Thanks
    blindman
    Maybe my post should be in here??

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,398Posts Today

6,879Users online

Martin's Twitter