IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Double glazing cost
Views: 568,128
# 1
mangomania
Old 23-10-2007, 11:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Post Double glazing cost

Anglian lady came to give quote on windows, stayed for 3.5 hours and did the usual "price only for today" routine. Can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable price?
3 bay windows with 5 panels each and one small window was priced at 6600 - we said no way, offered at 4850. We live in London area. Do you reckon we get this for less with reputable company?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Swerve
Old 24-10-2007, 12:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomania View Post
Anglian lady came to give quote on windows, stayed for 3.5 hours and did the usual "price only for today" routine. Can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable price?
3 bay windows with 5 panels each and one small window was priced at £6600 - we said no way, offered at £4850. We live in London area. Do you reckon we get this for less with reputable company?
Hi there, I've worked in the industry for many years, so hope my advice will help.

What you have is a total of 16 frames (1 bay = 5) and national companies generally deal at the £300 per frame mark, so your offer was about right.

Anglian windows are a great make, and well respected in the industry, though are a little more expensive.

You did the right thing by not signing on the night, did the rep get their manager on the phone whilst they were still there and offer a 'special' discount?

Were you paying cash or looking at a type of finance?

White 'standard' upvc, or woodgrain, geogian bar, or any of the fancy extras? I'm assuming K glass was included on the price.
# 3
subhan
Old 19-12-2007, 2:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I recently got my double glazing, it was 5 standard size windows for the prce of 2750 and they did not give that crap that the qoute was only for today. they did a great job if you would like to know who they are than just pm me.
The Following User Says Thank You to subhan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ALTEA
Old 27-01-2009, 11:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'd recommend staying away from these big double glazing companies. When I was looking for double glazing I rang a few of them to get quotes. The first thing they ask is "Is it Mr & Mrs" to which I replied yes. They then insisted on both of us being at home when the sales person called. I told them that this was'nt going to be possable and that all I wanted was a quote and then I would ring them back if I want them to fit the windows for me (I did'nt want any of this sales patter rubbish). They all told me that was'nt how they do things. I wonder why? Pressure to sign up on the day etc... If someone does'nt want to do business with me my way then they don't do it at all!! In the end I found a local double glazing company who came around gave me a sensible price and was open to a bit of bartering no sales patter. Managed to get 8 windows, 1 front door and a patio door for 4500. Very pleased
# 5
macchicken
Old 28-01-2009, 12:24 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

That seems a bit expensive to me.
Get quotes from at least two other companies and play them off against each other.
If they say the price is for today only then ask them to leave. They are clearly at it!
That mrs macchicken to you!
# 6
cmonthehoops
Old 29-01-2009, 11:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yeah i would get a few more quotes that would be my advise to.
# 7
bigstevex
Old 12-02-2009, 2:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do you know what though, that sells for me! apart from the buy now pay now I'd like interest free for a bit with mine!

sorry for going off topic
# 8
telsokari
Old 04-01-2010, 2:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i had Zenith over on Sat. The initial quote for 4 windows, was 10,500. it was then knocked down to 7500 cash and 6300 if i took it on finance. When i asked why the finance was cheaper than cash and if that was the price before interest was added he seemed a little uncomfortable. He then said that you can pay it all off between 8 months and 8 years.

When i said 6300 was too high, he spoke to his manager who i could hear in the background almost giving him a script and the final finance price he gave before leaving was 3580 or 4300 cash

The sizes of the windows are

Master Bed: 125 x 230
2nd Bed: 140 x 200
Living Room: 140 x 230
Kitchen: 120 x 120

He also stated that i was in an idea area to get in their magazine which would lead to a cheque back of 2500. This would though lead to having a Zenith Windows sign showing on the property for "3-4 weeks". It's a Georgian Mansion conversion.
# 9
cosyc
Old 07-01-2010, 12:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sounds a bit high as basically nearly 1000 a window.
I can only give you my recent quote if that helps - woodgrain pvc
1 opening 120X120 =370
2 opening 120x 180 = 490 inc VAT
Local double glazing man recomended by neigbour
# 10
telsokari
Old 07-01-2010, 1:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

wow, thanks

For the kitchen window on its own they quoted 780 as the absolute last price. but that window is with 2 openings.

The other 3 windows were sash windows with one opening sliding upwards

I said the prices were too high and the guy left.

Yetserday i got a call from their customer services. they said they wanted to send out their commercial department and surveyor to give me a "cost price" as they saw i had been messed about a little with the guy arriving 2 hours late for the appointment.

I've told them to come round to see what they have to say. ive also got Everest, Crystal Windows and another company that the Zenith guy recommended to me as being "similar quality but much cheaper"
# 11
telsokari
Old 07-01-2010, 2:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

their 10k price was the "list price" before any discounts

i figured it cant hurt to see what their "cost and appology price" was, especially with the other companies coming by to see

The problem with going through a local is the ones ive spoken to don't offer finance options and after all the money i spent on the rest of the refurb of the flat i can;t pay a cash price
# 12
shellyc
Old 07-01-2010, 4:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I got 9 windows (some very large) plus french doors and 2x doors for 5k in summer 09

One large national company quoted 12k which they dropped to 6k, went with a local firm for 5k
# 13
ormus
Old 07-01-2010, 5:12 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsokari View Post
their 10k price was the "list price" before any discounts

i figured it cant hurt to see what their "cost and appology price" was, especially with the other companies coming by to see

The problem with going through a local is the ones ive spoken to don't offer finance options and after all the money i spent on the rest of the refurb of the flat i can;t pay a cash price
then wait until you have the money. or try the bank.
do not use the DG companies finance at all unless you wanna pay a kings ransom?
Get some gorm.
# 14
telsokari
Old 07-01-2010, 5:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i'd love to wait but the flat is way too cold to the point that the central heating is running at 27c while we're in and all night and it still feels freezing.

My 9month old is also freezing as well. unfortunately we gotta get it done asap which might mean paying more than i should, but hopefully i can limit how much extra i have to pay
# 15
ladybird3
Old 08-01-2010, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've recently had a quote for double glazing from a well respected local company and having had other quotes from big national companies I couldnt believe how much cheaper it was. The difference is of course if you go with a family firm or similar you dont get salesmen on commision comming round, you actually get someone who knows what they're on about.

the bright spark who came round my house from safestyle uk told me in one breath that there was 'argon gas in between the panes of glass' and then in another said that it was a vaccuum in between the glass. . . . .hmmmmm! doesnt take an a genius to work that one out!

anyway, the quote I got from the local firm was just shy of 2000, this is all inc (including them putting a cat flap in for me!) and is for 4 rosewood upvc windows plus a front door and a back door, 10 year guarentee parts and labour.

if anyone is interested in reading reviews of companies (not just double glazing) then check out blagger.com where you can check reviews listed against a company.

One more tip, double glazing is pretty expensive however if you're a co-op mortgage company then you may be eligible for their energy efficient advance. This is a super low interest loan (in fact technically i think they say its another mortgage) that can only be used to pay for improvements to your home that combat climate change, they have a list of what is acceptable and the rate of interest is only 2% APR, you can choose the term of the loan and if you want it to just run the term of your entire mortgage you can do this. the amount you pay back each month is just added to your mortgage payments rather taken seperately. if you're just about to come to the end of your mortgage term and need improvements to your home then it may be worth moving to the co-op!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladybird3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Sigurd
Old 09-01-2010, 1:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I got a quote for 10 windows (two are small 600x700 windows and the largest on is no more than 1500x960), front and back door for 4500. The next quote is from a bigger firm (not the national big dealer) for 4900.

I want to get some thoughts about couple things:

1. I don't know if anyone has use the Double Glazing On the Web before (I can't post link, please google the name of PM me). I check their price for the same design and I got 3500. I have an online chat with them. They insist they will send no salesman, in fact, no one will be sent and you measure your own window. The window has C-rating. Unfortunately their showroom is very far from where I live. It is the lowest quote, so I am not sure if they are con or a deal.

2. The bigger firm insists that they charge more because they have A-rated windows and better locks. Anyone has a comment on this? I check Pilkington's web site and found the rating does not really save you a big deal, like 650 over 20 years:

"C8. What is the average saving to householder between A, B & C rated windows in terms of energy and cost savings? A, B and C rated windows are all much more energy efficient than standard windows. That said, there are differences in performance of energy efficient windows with A B and C ratings;
  • Changing existing single-glazed, timber windows to Band C windows in a semi detached, gas fuelled house would be expected to save 4350 in heating costs and 11 tonnes CO2 over the life of the windows.
  • If the new windows are instead B-rated then the savings increase to 4650 and 11.5 tonnes CO2 .
  • And, if the new windows are instead A-rated then the savings increase to nearly 5000 and over 12 tonnes CO2 .
The above shows that achievement of the level C displays significant savings over existing windows with higher ratings of B and A delivering further smaller incremental savings above C."
# 17
cons
Old 11-01-2010, 12:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i just been quoted for 9 windows and 2 doors

triple glazing with light oak frames inside and out with brass handles for 4600

good price?
# 18
claymorefan
Old 21-01-2010, 11:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I think this is a crazy quote

Just had a price from one of the UK leading home improvements.
This is before any discounts of any sort - 12, 460.

6 windows although one window is extremely large
The price would be 8, 550 after scrapage an other discounts!

I think I will be shopping around - thats more than my car costed!
I could have a great holiday for that kind of money
# 19
goldfish4000
Old 23-01-2010, 8:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I recently bought a house that needed quite a bit of work, including double glazing. I got 3 quotes, avoiding all the big national companies given without question you will pay for the huge advertising costs in the price, plus I really didn't want the hassle of the hard sell. The quotes I got differed by several thousand pounds, so it shows you need to shop around. I decided to go for a local recommendation where I could see the quality of the work by looking at a neighbours house.
The cost was as follows;
- 1 large bay window with 3 frames
- 1 large single window with 1 frame
- 2 medium/small bedroom windows with 1 frame each
- 1 very small landing window with 1 frame
- 1 porch with double door frame and 2 further side frames

Cost of 2,900. The work is excellent.
The Following User Says Thank You to goldfish4000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
old trout
Old 26-01-2010, 11:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish4000 View Post
I recently bought a house that needed quite a bit of work, including double glazing. I got 3 quotes, avoiding all the big national companies given without question you will pay for the huge advertising costs in the price, plus I really didn't want the hassle of the hard sell. The quotes I got differed by several thousand pounds, so it shows you need to shop around. I decided to go for a local recommendation where I could see the quality of the work by looking at a neighbours house.
The cost was as follows;
- 1 large bay window with 3 frames
- 1 large single window with 1 frame
- 2 medium/small bedroom windows with 1 frame each
- 1 very small landing window with 1 frame
- 1 porch with double door frame and 2 further side frames

Cost of 2,900. The work is excellent.
hi , that's a good price, i also have had some widely variing quotes, could you pm me the company you used please. thanks
Deb