Tv broken from roof leak

Hi all,

My tv has broken due to a leak from the roof resulting in the tv not working. I’ve never claimed on my insurance before so really unsure what to do.the tv is just over 2 years old but you can’t buy it anymore. I paid £650 for it so what do I do? What will the insurers give me? What’s the process? Will they need to collect the tv etc?

Comments

• Getting it repaired is maybe a cheaper option perhaps
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Unless your policy offers new for old cover then they won't pay you £650.

What is your excess? It could easily be a couple of hundred pounds and the value they place on the TV may well be a couple of hundred lower than what you paid for it, so you could end up getting very little out of them. It may well be better to just accept that you need to buy a new TV as any claim will increase your premiums and you will have to declare that claim for 5 years, thus adding to your premium for the next five years. Although £650 is not a small sum neither is it particularly large.

Have you claimed for the repair to the roof?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 March 2018 at 7:58PM
    No harm in finding out if its repairable.

Depends if any water has got in which I presume it has and what damage its done.
  • tbarson1
    tbarson1 Posts: 72 Forumite
    It!!!8217;s new for old so what does that mean
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    tbarson1 wrote: »

It means they'll pay for an equivalent new tv, less your excess.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    tbarson1 wrote: »

It means that they will pay for a new TV at the current price. If the particular model that you own is no longer available then they will pay for a comparable model.

In this case it may be worth making a claim, but I'd still consider whether the excess (and increase to premiums long term) makes it worth doing. It may be, but as I don't know what your excess is, or what a comparable current purchase price for the TV is, or what the load on your premium would be, then I can't say for certain. You, however, can work these out by checking current prices (don't go overboard with comparisons on new models that have lots more features), checking your excess and running a dummy quote for new insurance with that claim added (don't use your exact details, e.g. invent a name and put it at a different house number with the same post code).
  • tbarson1
    My excess is 100 and I pay 6.24 a month so may be worth ut
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your TV was £650, buy a TV of equal spec now maybe sub £400, then they offer you a TV of a brand you dont like becuase they get a great discount.

Then the excess and potentially increased premiums because you need to declare it for upto 5 years?

£6.24 a month seems cheap are you sure your covered, if you make a claim and not covered you may still need to declare the loss for upto 5 years. Risk increase premiums for nothing?

Start reading your policy.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• tbarson1
    No need to come across as rude. The tv was high spec at the time so any offer if a rubbish tv I wouldn!!!8217;t want it. Yes 6.24 and it!!!8217;s a new for old policy
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    forgotmyname was not being rude but practical

Did the TV have to be identified as a specific valuable, is there a limit of £250 for an item ............

Have you made a claim under your buildings insurance for the damage to roof and (I presume) ceiling ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport