Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• what a plum
    • By what a plum 13th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    what a plum
    help neede
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    help neede 13th Mar 18 at 10:53 PM
    Hi there, I was wondering if some one could give me some advice, if i am in the wrong place apologies.

I have had to leave the UK due to a family tragedy abroad, it has taken longer to sort and finalise (7 months) and as it is now finalised we are moving back to the UK.

As you can guess, financial matters were not high on our agenda, utilities were sorted (direct debits as was council tax) but we had around £35k in card debt that obviously didnt get attended to!

we didnt use any of our cards abroad and up to that point i payed every month religiously, I am not making excuses and will happily pick up my financial responsibilities, but what i need to know is how you go about negotiating terms of payment, obviously they will probably want full payment due to our mistake but I believe on my in coming salary it will take approximately 3-4 years to finalise that amount and still have a basic standard of living.

Am I being unrealistic, obviously we will pay it off quicker if possible, we rented our prior house (just to head off equity answers).

Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 13th Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    • 12,036 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    You make an offer of what you can afford to pay.

National Debtline have loads of info here
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 13,408 Posts
    • 12,809 Thanks
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:17 PM

After seven months of no contact it;s anyones guess to the status of your accounts.

Chances are the debts will be defaulted by now, and possibly sold on.

First of all they have to find you, legal action may already of been taken, they are unsecured accounts and can be repaid over time dependant on your budget.

I would say first step on returning to the UK would be to update your address with the credit Reference Agencys and see how quickly your creditors get in touch.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see :
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 14th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    And when you are sorted, set up direct debits on your credit cards to at least make minimum payments
    • what a plum
    • By what a plum 15th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    what a plum
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    thanks guys your advice has been of great help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,581Posts Today

8,218Users online

Martin's Twitter