Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• kalip
    • By kalip 13th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    PCN from CEL Greenwich High Road, London
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    PCN from CEL Greenwich High Road, London 13th Mar 18 at 5:50 PM
    I hope you dont mind me starting a new thread, I have read the very helpful Newbies thread and also a few other threads about CEL and even the specific car park where I received the PCN - however I am still unsure what exactly to write in my appeal.

Basically I did actually pay for a parking ticket but their camera system records the car leaving 5 minutes after it expired.
    Their signage says you have 10 minutes to pay for the parking but doesn't mention any grace period for leaving so I assume that is why I received the PCN, although it is not exactly clear as the PCN just states 'Payment not made in accordance with terms displayed on signage'.

So I was unsure whether I should just send the standard appeal letter as shown in Newbies thread or whether I should mention the fact that I actually paid for a ticket and just took 5 minutes to leave due to traffic etc?

Any advice is appreciated
Page 1
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 13th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    there is a 10 min grace period after paid time has expired , this is written into the BPA code of practice

send the appeal letter shown in newbies thread , await POPLa code , and you will beat them at POPLa
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • MalMonroe
    • By MalMonroe 13th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    And also, check that details on any photos are legible. I just successfully fought CEL because the photos of my car didn't display reg plates properly and also they misquoted their own parking notices. However, yes, you have a slam dunk here, they have to give you that grace period and are just trying it on. As they usually seem to do! Good luck - but you won't need it.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 13th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 8,576 Posts
    • 8,030 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors..

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They nearly always lose) and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P.

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • kalip
    • By kalip 13th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    thanks for the advice - will send appeal and let you know the result
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

912Posts Today

6,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I must admit I'd expected the same two to top both the 'best' and 'worst' PM (of the last 4) poll. Yet (and it's?

• Today's Friday twitter poll 2: Which of the last four UK Prime Ministers would you say was the worst? (To pick th?

• Today's Friday twitter poll 1: Which of the last four UK Prime Ministers would you say was the best? (Then pick t?

• Follow Martin