Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 13th Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    • 131Posts
    • 30Thanks
    Hot water cylinder valve leak
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    Hot water cylinder valve leak 13th Mar 18 at 11:25 AM

Just a disclaimer: I do not intend to DIY this, I just want to know what i am dealing with and explain to the plumber

We have an unvented hot water cylinder (Range Tribune HE) which is leaking from a valve at the bottom right of it.

The cylinder seems to have 2 valves there, presumably used for draining the cylinder? One of them is dripping, filling a bucket in about 2-3 weeks. So not a major leak, but possibly only a matter of time.

Any ideas what these valves are? They look like brass taps.

And is it a big deal to fix? Does the whole system need to be drained?

Like I said, I will not attempt it myself.

Thanks for any info
Page 1
    • Scottjames92
    • By Scottjames92 15th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    I!!!8217;m guessing you mean the drain cocks (brass taps with open ends)? One will drain the cylinder and the other will drain the coil inside the cylinder. Doesn!!!8217;t sound like a big leak so probably just needs a tighten with a spanner which you can easily do yourself. Worst case it needs a new washer which costs about 50p and depending on which one it is, either the cylinder or heating will need to be drained down. If you really don!!!8217;t feel comfortable doing it get a plumber but expect a minimum call out charge of at least £65 (well that!!!8217;s what I charge for the first hour anyway). Remember righty tighty lefty loosey though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,765Users online

Martin's Twitter