Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• CupofTea
    • By CupofTea 12th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 504Posts
    • 3,588Thanks
    Carpet underlay advice
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    Carpet underlay advice 12th Mar 18 at 8:32 PM
    I'm clueless with this stuff but I'm moving to another rented place and don't want to make the mistakes I did with the current place I'm in.

I don't know how long I'll be living there but I want it decent enough to feel comfortable.

Firstly, should I take the carpet grippers I have in my current rental and reuse them? Is that possible? We have to remove all flooring anyway. The carpet is rubbish so won't be keeping it.
    The only thing is the grips are gold and I'm choosing a grey carpet so perhaps silver looks better with it.

Secondly, choosing the underlay. I'm looking at this website but I don't have a clue.
    What would you recommend? Do you have other websites you prefer?
    I'm meeting with the carpet guy soon so will see how much his prices are as he doesn't have a shop and lots of people recommend him but I want to be prepared with some knowledge beforehand. I don't have much time to get this all ready really so my best bet is to ask my people at MSE.

To add: it's a new build with concrete floor.
    Last edited by CupofTea; 12-03-2018 at 8:42 PM.
    Cup of Tea?
Page 1
    • Tom_Jones
    • By Tom_Jones 12th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 2,336 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    Don't bother taking the gripper rods, they are cheap to fit new, you may have to gripfill the new gripper rods as they don't fit well in concrete floors

10mm foam underlay is a good and not too soft underfoot 12mm is too soft imho
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 12th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2,686 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    As you talk about gold & silver grippers I assume you mean doorbars, leave them, they're only a fiver each.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Nellyg
    • By Nellyg 12th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    If the carpet guy is any good he will suggest the best options for you. We have tried the cheap stuff. Then the mid range underlay but we think the better grade is better in the lounge and bedrooms with mid range for stairs and landing. Hope this helps !!!55357;!!!56832;
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

406Posts Today

5,051Users online

Martin's Twitter