E.on backdoor price hike

I only started with E.on in December but they have changed their discounts as below -

[FONT=&quot]"Energy giant E.on sneakily took advantage of last week's big freeze to become the first Big 6 provider to announce price hikes in 2018. It's a backdoor hike, because while its rates won't change, from April it'll ditch some 'dual fuel' (ie, gas & elec) discounts and up some standing charges - a rise of £22/yr on average."

Can I change supplier without incurring the cancelation fee? [/FONT]

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    Cliff7474 wrote: »
    I only started with E.on in December but they have changed their discounts as below -

[FONT=&quot]"Energy giant E.on sneakily took advantage of last week's big freeze to become the first Big 6 provider to announce price hikes in 2018. It's a backdoor hike, because while its rates won't change, from April it'll ditch some 'dual fuel' (ie, gas & elec) discounts and up some standing charges - a rise of £22/yr on average."

Hello Cliff7474 and welcome to the Forums. Sorry for the late reply but only just spotted your question.

You might already have the answer but, if not, please let me know what tariff you're on? Some of the tariffs we've offered since last December don't have exit fees leaving you free to switch without penalty.

Also, if you signed up to a Fixed Tariff in December, the removal of discounts won't affect you until the deal comes to an end.

Sorry again for the late reply. Please ignore if you already have the answer.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Biscuit_Tin
    Biscuit_Tin Posts: 782
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 March 2018 at 10:28AM
    Cliff7474 wrote: »

Yes of course. :)
    But the change does not even come in until April 19th for existing customers.

Of more significant concern is what on earth are you doing on a Big 6 standard tariff???
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Any customers on E.on's standard tariff are able to leave penalty-free with no exit fees to pay. And while the changes apply from 19 April, if you're on E.on's standard tariff you're likely already overpaying, so check NOW if you can save.
    Source: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2018/03/eon-hits-customers-with-backdoor-price-hike-from-april

The thread to discuss this news article can be found here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5803654
  • My E.ON tariff ends early May and have been sent a mail to say I am free to switch without penalty. Checked E.ON prices and shocked in 12mths to see the difference, their cheapest online v10 is over £140 per annum more than I currently pay,I guess removing this discount has added to this, been with them the past 3 years and overall happy with everything, if I call them is there any chance of having the price lowered or is it what it is, for me EDF are coming up cheapest of big 6 with a £30 increase on my current prices, so i get the feeling there is room for movement from E.ON but not sure how these energy companies operate when it comes to loyalty and retaining customers.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    @savers united
    Energy companies do not work like Sky , who just make up a price if you ask for a deal.
    There are 3 sources of tariffs
    1. The provider who publishes tariffs on the comparison site as well as their own;
    2. The provider who has certain deals only on their website;
    3. The Price Comparison site who have a unique to them tariff from the provider.

So E.ON may have a unique deal on their website which you can check for yourself. Or a price site may have a unique deal as well as the normal deals.
    But E.ON won't have a private hidden deal just for you a la Sky.

And as an ex EON customer, yes their prices are uncompetitive currently, hence the ex part.
  • nicobrum
    nicobrum Posts: 40
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My E.ON tariff ends early May and have been sent a mail to say I am free to switch without penalty. Checked E.ON prices and shocked in 12mths to see the difference, their cheapest online v10 is over £140 per annum more than I currently pay,I guess removing this discount has added to this, been with them the past 3 years and overall happy with everything, if I call them is there any chance of having the price lowered or is it what it is, for me EDF are coming up cheapest of big 6 with a £30 increase on my current prices, so i get the feeling there is room for movement from E.ON but not sure how these energy companies operate when it comes to loyalty and retaining customers.

As gsmlnx says you aren't likely to get a different deal from the advertised tariffs if you phone up Eon, unlike with things such as TV, phone and insurance etc. Unlike the preceding couple of years, Eon over the last 12 months have been changing tariffs every few weeks or so and the prices vary between distribution regions each time, so what is cheaper for one this time may be cheaper for another with the next change. It is a matter of keeping an eye on the website every few weeks rather than sitting back and waiting for your tariff to complete. Many of the other firms do the same although I do not know whether they also vary between region to region each time. I've been with Eon since 2008 and, at least in the last 4-5 years, been on their cheapest tariff each time its appeared. I do though keep an eye on the website since they stopped sending out new tariff alert emails, which often were late arriving after the event anyway. In the last year I've changed fixed tariff three times with Eon with no penalties. The last was in October and so far I've not seen a cheaper tariff than the one I'm on. That said the prices have been fluctuating a lot between each tariff. It may well be that you will need to move company to avoid such a large increase but even then it may pay for you to keep an eye on any new fixed tariffs your supplier releases over time. I think most of the companies do not penalise customers for moving from one of their fixed tariffs to another, the exit fees generally apply only if you change companies within the fixed price period. However you would need to check this. While it may seem as overkill having to keep a check on this, if it means you save money and don't get a shock at the end of the year then its worthwhile and as prices have been steadily rising over the last year its not surprising. Its possible a tariff released by Eon earlier this year would have been cheaper for you if you had seen it.
    Yes of course. :)
    But the change does not even come in until April 19th for existing customers.

Of more significant concern is what on earth are you doing on a Big 6 standard tariff???
    :eek::eek::eek:

Source: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2018/03/eon-hits-customers-with-backdoor-price-hike-from-april

The thread to discuss this news article can be found here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5803654

That's right Biscuit Tin. Changes to our discounts don't start until 19 April 18 for existing customers on our standard Energy Plan tariffs. Customers who signed up to one of our Fixed Tariffs before these changes were introduced on 1 March 18 won't be affected until their deals end.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    My E.ON tariff ends early May and have been sent a mail to say I am free to switch without penalty. Checked E.ON prices and shocked in 12mths to see the difference, their cheapest online v10 is over £140 per annum more than I currently pay,I guess removing this discount has added to this, been with them the past 3 years and overall happy with everything, if I call them is there any chance of having the price lowered or is it what it is, for me EDF are coming up cheapest of big 6 with a £30 increase on my current prices, so i get the feeling there is room for movement from E.ON but not sure how these energy companies operate when it comes to loyalty and retaining customers.

Hello savers united and, as others have said, the only tariffs we currently have available are those listed on our website. We're not involved in any Collective Tariffs at the moment.

You're right, customers moving on to our Fixed Tariffs now, will be affected by the removal of discounts we announced earlier. This is if they currently have paperless billing, take both electricity and gas from us and pay by any other means than a Monthly Direct Debit. Customers paying with a Monthly Direct Debit receive lower daily standing charges and this isn't changing.

As we've been in touch about your existing tariff, it looks like you're in the Price Protection window. This means you can now change supplier without picking up any exit fees that might be relevant. Also, provided the new supplier applies to take over before this window closes, we'll keep you on the cheaper prices up until the switch goes through. The Price Protection window is open 49 calendar days before the tariff end date until 20 working days after.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc
    nicobrum wrote: »
    As gsmlnx says you aren't likely to get a different deal from the advertised tariffs if you phone up Eon, unlike with things such as TV, phone and insurance etc. Unlike the preceding couple of years, Eon over the last 12 months have been changing tariffs every few weeks or so and the prices vary between distribution regions each time, so what is cheaper for one this time may be cheaper for another with the next change. It is a matter of keeping an eye on the website every few weeks rather than sitting back and waiting for your tariff to complete. Many of the other firms do the same although I do not know whether they also vary between region to region each time. I've been with Eon since 2008 and, at least in the last 4-5 years, been on their cheapest tariff each time its appeared. I do though keep an eye on the website since they stopped sending out new tariff alert emails, which often were late arriving after the event anyway. In the last year I've changed fixed tariff three times with Eon with no penalties. The last was in October and so far I've not seen a cheaper tariff than the one I'm on. That said the prices have been fluctuating a lot between each tariff. It may well be that you will need to move company to avoid such a large increase but even then it may pay for you to keep an eye on any new fixed tariffs your supplier releases over time. I think most of the companies do not penalise customers for moving from one of their fixed tariffs to another, the exit fees generally apply only if you change companies within the fixed price period. However you would need to check this. While it may seem as overkill having to keep a check on this, if it means you save money and don't get a shock at the end of the year then its worthwhile and as prices have been steadily rising over the last year its not surprising. Its possible a tariff released by Eon earlier this year would have been cheaper for you if you had seen it.

You're right nicobrum. We've released a number of different tariffs over the last few months and our website is the best place to see these first. They'll also be on the Price Comparison sites so customers can see how they stack up against the rest of the market.

I can also confirm, exit fees don't apply when changing from one E.ON tariff to another. E.ON customers can also forward switch through our website by up to 52 days in the future. No need to worry if the chosen tariff is removed from sale before this. Once a future date has been chosen, it'll be locked in and customers will still be able to go on to the tariff on the chosen date.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc
  • I just received official notification via the snail mail that my current fixed price tariff is due to end in May. The letter contained an offer of a new 1 year deal. The letter was dated 22 March, received 31 March. Immediately went on line to take up the offer to find it unavailable. Also rang to make sure and they confirmed that the offer I was sent is no longer available. They did the same last year. I have complained to E.ON and questioned if this is deliberate policy to send out unavailable offers. I hope this practice is properly addressed and does not continue.
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2018 at 11:37AM
    I just received official notification via the snail mail that my current fixed price tariff is due to end in May. The letter contained an offer of a new 1 year deal. The letter was dated 22 March, received 31 March. Immediately went on line to take up the offer to find it unavailable. Also rang to make sure and they confirmed that the offer I was sent is no longer available. They did the same last year. I have complained to E.ON and questioned if this is deliberate policy to send out unavailable offers. I hope this practice is properly addressed and does not continue.

I'm sorry to dash your hopes, but this practice will continue for as long as suppliers keep changing their tariff offers.

There is no deliberate policy to send out unavailable offers; the offer was available on the day the letter was printed. But it's a fast moving world out there, and as has been confirmed to you, is unfortunately no longer available.

If you see an offer you like, you have to act quickly. You can apply to switch tariffs up to 49 days before the contract end and not incur early exit fees (if there were any applicable to your tariff)

ETA:
    Out of interest, which tariff were you offered?
    E.ON Go Online 1 Year v10?
    This was withdrawn to new applicants 28/03/2018
    But I've just checked for my supply region, and its replaced by v11 which is about 0.02p/kwh more
    This, for an average dual fuel user, would mean an increase of about £2.50 pa. :cool:

But there are alternative suppliers and tariffs available that could save >£200 pa :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure