Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Mar 18, 6:37 AM
    • 2,992Posts
    • 41,055Thanks
    O/S Daily Monday 12th March 2018
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:37 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 12th March 2018 12th Mar 18 at 6:37 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 12th March 2018

This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, laying water everywhere and still raining, looks set in for the day again.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, both boys still in their pits, although DS2 has college so will wake him shortly, DS1 will need to get up to move his car for me to go to work later. Last day of DS1's annual leave today so he'll be back to work tomorrow.

Lunch yesterday was lovely roast chicken, roasties, mash, cauli/broc cheese, carrots, HG purple sprouting broc, peas, yorkshires and gravy, ice cream for dessert. Tonight we'll be having smoked sausage pasta with creme fraiche and a breaded chicken portion for the menfolk - otherwise menfolk complain "not enough meat".

We visited the oldies yesterday morning - I put the chicken in before we went out so just needed to prep veg when we got back, DS2 was sous chef for that, so lunch wasn't too late. We just chilled the rest of the day.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 12-03-2018 at 6:44 AM.
Page 2
    • Elona
    • By Elona 12th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    Happy Birthday TA and I can recommend the tea at Betty's.

Hugs and hope the solicitor can help. Maybe your brother could try the local M.P.

Having a quiet morning before getting the bus into York and meeting older dd with a few bits and pieces for her.
    Thought we might have a coffee and sandwich before I go to U3A in the afternoon.

I am on slimming world as well and need to get round to trying the recipes properly. Having lost six pounds in two weeks has helped my knees and joints and can't wait to have lost a lot more.. Just realised that the bran flakes for breakfast this morning seem to be more effective on my system than I expected so will have to cut down on how often I have them.

Hugs to all
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 15,835 Posts
    • 67,657 Thanks
    Glad that someone in the real world is fighting Hollys corner. We, online can only give her virtual support but Nelski im glad your the bridge between her and us here on the thread.

Prodigal has just been and ive fed him. He's been to the doctors and came out with a box of pills for an irritable bowel. He's got another appointment in just over a week for his back.

What happened to his mental health? I knew i should have gone with him.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 12th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 19,355 Thanks
    Happy birthday TA and enjoy Betty's. The Ilkley one doesn't seem to get as crowded as the Harrogate one, the queues outside the door always put me off there. They do the best vanilla slices since the ones we used to buy at Spinks in Stockport in the early eighties.

Csarina, severe concussions can be tricky things, I knew someone who took weeks to recover fully from one so I hope DD gets another note.

The news about Ken Dodd has triggered all sorts of memories for me of family holidays. With four (then five) children mum and dad could never afford a holiday away so instead on dad's week off we used to go for days out. We lived 30 miles from the Lancashire coast and used to go to Blackpool, Southport and Morecambe. I remember the trips to Blackpool best - looking to see if the tide was in or out when we drove over the Ribble in Preston, watching for the first glimpse of Blackpool Tower (mum would whisper in the youngest's ear because he was always on her lap in the front so he always won the competition) and going to see the Ken Dodd show at the Winter Gardens. The tower switched viewpoints from one side of the road to the other on the journey and mum and dad told us that the Diddymen were carrying it across the road. This was the mid-sixties when Doddy was at the hieght of his fame. I'm going to shut up now otherwise I'm going to start bawling for lost innocence.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 6,186 Posts
    • 38,398 Thanks
    Nelski - Holly should have access to a Mental Health Advocate whose role is to work for the patient.

The day has turned out bright and sunny, no heat yet but so lovely to see. Blue skies all around me, Jura has got 'icing' on the tops still and the geese are flying around. It's days like these where I can really 'smell the coffee' and appreciate my life.

Work was short and sweet, nothing to catch up on and the students were diligent.

DM was up and ready for the patient transport this morning for her echogram. At 9.00am the ambulance arrived only to tell her that the appointment has been changed to next week. She can't hear the phone so the staff drove round to her. Think she went back to bed. Don't blame her after the weekend activities.

Now I may go into the garden to wander around and see which plants are budding and which are still not awake.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 8,681 Thanks
    Afternoon all
    We had to go to put Mr Fix It's prescription in this morning only to find that the bridge had been closed, so had to go in and out of the bluebells to get to the surgery. We carried on into town for the bank, but then couldn't get any waste bags from the council office, again . We went into Wil*os for my hair colour but it was OOS , so I bought a shade lighter, I will try that. Mr Fix It thought I should try purple . ( should have done it, that would have wiped the smile off his face ! ) So didn't have a very productive morning as I couldn't get half of the things I needed.
    Called in Ald*s on the way home for milk and to top up the lemonade stash etc and spent over £40 . I did let a big tub of sweets fall in the trolley, naughty nan but they were reduced, honest and they will come in handy for the Easter egg hunt. Thought DGC wouldn't want to do it this year, but it seems I was wrong as DGD asked about it two weeks ago ! Think I will change tactics this year as it's becoming too easy for them. I shall have to put my thinking cap on
    Tea tonight will be leftover takeaway, so no cooking again.
    Still not 100%, I feel mentally and physically drained and everything seems to be an effort, but I'm dragging my carcass around anyway, I just wish that black dog would stop following too . I think I'm ready for a holiday !

TA I hope you are having a lovely birthday and you are enjoying your afternoon tea .
    Holly don't know if you are able to read this but I am thinking of you. Gentle hugs coming your way.
    Sorry I've forgotten what else I wanted to say .
    Enjoy the rest of Monday whatever you are doing or have planned. Hug bucket at the ready , please help yourselves.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 4,483 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Good afternoon everyone,

Happy Birthday TA have a lovely tea & cake!

Nelski, thank you so much for keeping us up to date with Holly’s circumstances. A solicitor sounds like a good idea but the injustice of having to deal with bullies is just mind boggling
    I always thought One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest was an exaggeration but it seems not!

We have had lots of rain this a.m., although it is currently dry but very dark

Successful morning - BHF collected the seven large bags of books, rags, clothes & CDs at 11 o’clock just after the carpet fitters arrived - 3 lads in their 20’s. They got on with it & were here for just over 2 hours which included me giving them tea & coconut biccies (which I baked while they were working ) The new carpets are wonderful & the light grey carpet I chose for the spare room goes wonderfully with the decor & curtains. Need to hoover & then we will shut the door on the room as it is fully completed now
    Hoovered the stairs & spare room but slight problem DH needs to plane the bottom of the door as it is rubbing on the new carpet probably only a quarter of an inch

Council still haven’t arrived to take away the old furniture etc but they have 24 more minutes

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone. Hugs to Holly

• ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 12th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 2,776 Thanks
    I'm late today, feeling a bit meh.

Happy Birthday TA, hope you enjoy your afternoon tea.

Nothing much going on here.

Take care folks
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 12th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 42,555 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Just popping back to wish TA a happy birthday.

The joiner has been and gone, I now have a basket in my cupboard, so no more rolling on the floor with a torch to find stuff, woohoo.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 31,047 Thanks
    Another late poster here. Been under the weather for several days, IBS and also fighting off a virus I think. Spent a lot of time on the loo or asleep, managed town to collect scripts, library book and get a few things, but shattered now.

Birthday wishes to TA. Sending hugs every day to Holly, thank you Nelski for the card and keeping us up to date. Judi, Scarlet ribbons and Nanny hope that you are both feeling better soon. mehefin I had not heard about Countrywide, I did say to OH a couple of weeks ago that I hoped everything was OK as the shelves were very lightly stocked. Gers so pleased that your DM enjoyed her birthday weekend, well deserved rest for you now hopefully.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 10,273 Posts
    • 111,599 Thanks
    TA a somewhat belated Hoppy Birdday.

Nelski thanks for the further update; I feel inclined to invoke Ma'at in the hope of some Justice for Holly as well as getting her life back in balance.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 4,483 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Good afternoon everyone,

Council still haven’t arrived to take away the old furniture etc but they have 24 more minutes

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone. Hugs to Holly

Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Yah, boo, sucks - the Council have let us down! & only an automated line to report the missed collection Am even more annoyed with DH as he doesn’t seem to give a toss that our driveway looks like a tip

My cs lady also didn’t call back, so what should have been a brilliant day has ended on a downhill slide.

Rant over

At least the carpets look wonderful & the hm biccies taste good

• Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Mar 18, 6:09 PM
    • 12,406 Posts
    • 38,606 Thanks
    TA a somewhat belated Hoppy Birdday.

Nelski thanks for the further update; I feel inclined to invoke Ma'at in the hope of some Justice for Holly as well as getting her life back in balance.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    I have no idea what that means but it may well be working as I just had a really positive chat with Holly. Her solicitor believes she may be able to get the section lifted and a new patient came in last night who she has been enjoying chatting too. On top of that her doctor is changing her meds and believes she has been on the wrong ones. Finally her book arrived and she is really pleased with it. So tentative good news and sounds like she will be soon back in the fold xx
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Mar 18, 6:16 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 8,681 Thanks
    Nelski that is good news about Holly. Thanks for letting us know.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 15,645 Posts
    • 132,606 Thanks
    Good evening chums, a very busy and wet day today Book club this morning then a funeral this afternoon,it was a burial as well so we all got thoroughly soaked at the graveside as it was bucketing down.

Luckily the wake was held in a local pub out in the countryside and the landlady as well as laying on sandwiches and nibbles also did a huge pot of chicken curry with rice and a huge pot of chicken soup both with crusty bread which was appreciated by all of the mourners as we all were frozen and drenched. The vicar did a nice service for the old fellow and he was carried out to the tune from Only Fools and Horses as it was his favourite programme.
    Just got back home, and am trying to warm up a bit. Not at all hungry though so no cooking for me tonight I may have some fresh fruit later on if I feel like it.

Hope you had a better birthday after the sadness this morning Mrs TA, I have had two funerals in 5 weeks to attend and another next next week.

Tomorrow morning I have U3A coffee morning then in the evening I have my pub quiz to attends no cooking tomorrow night either.

U3A committee meeting on Wednesday afternoon and probably Thursday morning I shall go food shopping. The weeks are flying at the moment.

Hope everyone is warm and dry and Holly H soon gets freed from what sounds like the wrong hospital altogether for her needs

Take care Chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb:£30.49 March £19.11
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1,842 Posts
    • 16,955 Thanks
    Nelski thank you for updating us about Holly and sending a are a lovely caring person x

I can't help but think this kind of so called treatment does more harm than good.

If you're reading Holly, take care. I'm thinking of you and so hope things improve soon xx

TA sorry belated birthday wishes. I hope you've had a lovely day xx
    Last edited by karcher; 12-03-2018 at 8:20 PM.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 4,190 Thanks
    Nelski thank you for letting us know the good news.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,735 Posts
    • 44,381 Thanks
    Just popped on to wish TA a very happy Birthday, hope you've had a good day and enjoyed your treat.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Mar 18, 8:49 PM
    • 15,835 Posts
    • 67,657 Thanks
    Brilliant news about Holly. Fingers crossed.

Sleep well all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 12th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 10,010 Thanks
    Popping in - real life getting in the way

Redruby-happy belated birthday wishes.
    TA - happy Birthday hope you enjoyed Betty!!!8217;s
    Csarina- sorry to hear about hour dd, hope she starts to feel better
    Holly - thinking of you
    Dumpling - you are a amazing mum

Ds2 causing me to worry, not sure who he is mixing with. Every time I arrange to meet him, he is very late, he!!!8217;s lost weight and seems tired. He does seem to be doing well at his college course though.

Job is going well, really enjoying it.

Hugs to anyone that needs/wants one. Take care.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 12th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    • 4,951 Posts
    • 47,940 Thanks
    Hello everybody

Thank you for the update on Holly Nelski, love to her.

Its been a good day here......10c in the afternoon. Need to get going on seed sowing during the week, we still have snow hanging around, waiting for that to go

TA....hope that you have had a great day, my favourite nephew who lives in California is 41 today......seems like only yesterday he was born! are such a busy lady, I couldnt think of keeping up with you.

Nannywindow.......hope that black dog goes home soon and leaves you alone.....his little brother has been hanging around here for a while so they could go together.

Csarina......glad that DD is improving, she will need to rest as much as she can.

Time for bed.....hugs for all

Weight 08 February 86kg
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,719Users online

Martin's Twitter