Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Mar 18, 6:37 AM
    • 2,993Posts
    • 41,074Thanks
    O/S Daily Monday 12th March 2018
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:37 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 12th March 2018 12th Mar 18 at 6:37 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 12th March 2018

This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, laying water everywhere and still raining, looks set in for the day again.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, both boys still in their pits, although DS2 has college so will wake him shortly, DS1 will need to get up to move his car for me to go to work later. Last day of DS1's annual leave today so he'll be back to work tomorrow.

Lunch yesterday was lovely roast chicken, roasties, mash, cauli/broc cheese, carrots, HG purple sprouting broc, peas, yorkshires and gravy, ice cream for dessert. Tonight we'll be having smoked sausage pasta with creme fraiche and a breaded chicken portion for the menfolk - otherwise menfolk complain "not enough meat".

We visited the oldies yesterday morning - I put the chicken in before we went out so just needed to prep veg when we got back, DS2 was sous chef for that, so lunch wasn't too late. We just chilled the rest of the day.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 12-03-2018 at 6:44 AM.
Page 1
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    • 6,188 Posts
    • 38,424 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Itís lovely and bright here though still a tad chilly.

Woke up to hear that Ken Dodd has died - never my style of comedy but he was very popular for years and years.

Iíve got a couple of hours work first thing and then ( for a lovely change ) no plans.

I hope everyone is doing well. Happy Monday to all.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 15,838 Posts
    • 67,693 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    Morning Nmlc and all,

Woke up with a bit of a headache and my blood pressure thumping in my ears. Yes I forgot to take my medication yesterday which means tomorrow the lack of thyroid replacement will kick in and I'll be fit for nothing. Yesterday, I switched off as much as I could, Grump was doing my head in and Youngest lost the use of his legs and the ability to clean up after himself...Lord knows what he'd dragged in from outside and deposited it on the stairs. Anyway, as a result of switching off, I'd switched off from me too..hence the no medication. Still, the men are back at work today. Thank goodness for that!

Took a look at myself in the mirror as I got ready for bed last night. Yes I've put on weight again. I wish I could break the habit of comfort eating when I'm stressed. I had a large box of chocolates bought me for mothers day. The plan was to have 2 a day...Well that flew out the window so the remainder I've bagged up for the men to take to work.

Grump is moaning about lack of money. I can't remember when the last time he worked a full week. Yes off Friday too to explore Pembroke castle.

Childcare day today. I got sent a picture of Divas brand new teeth yesterday. Looking forward to seeing them for myself today.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th Mar 18, 7:09 AM
    • 3,870 Posts
    • 25,494 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:09 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:09 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Chucking it down here and set to last all day they say.

It's my birthday today and it's a day of two halves unfortunately. We have a funeral to go to this morning (SIL's DB who was only 58) followed by the wake. I have agreed we shall go to the funeral but will carry out our original plan this afternoon. I am not spending my birthday at a booze up and hope SIL understands! We are going to Betty's in Ilkley for Afternoon Tea. It's flipping expensive but something I've always fancied doing so why not! We have had afternoon tea at other places but always wanted to try Betty's even if you are paying for the name!

I have just been opening all my cards and gifts and been thoroughly spoiled with some lovely pressies. What with Mothers Day yesterday that's two days running opening gifts - I could get used to that!

Thoughts are with HOLLY as always and I really hope some sense prevails with her care and someone is prepared to listen to her. If the wasp-chewing woman is an example of compassion there I have my doubts sadly.

Have a good day all and ((HUGS)) as always for those who want/need them. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • redruby
    • By redruby 12th Mar 18, 7:15 AM
    • 6,605 Posts
    • 91,841 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:15 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:15 AM
    Morning all

Sad to hear of Ken Dodd, he lived in the same house he was born in for his whole life a very unassuming man, my dad loved him I hope they are having a scotch up there together xx

Monday morning already the weekends go by far too quickly, off to work for me, dinner tonight is lasagne which dd made up yesterday so its just a case of shoving it in the oven tonight and doing some salad.

Need to do a wash tonight and give the bits on the airer a quick 5 mins in the td, its just about dry.

I had a lovely mothers day and was very spoilt by my lovely dd, in the afternoon OH lit the fire and we laid on a sofa each and both fell asleep ! he slept for over four hours where as I only napped for 1/2 hour or so, I think it did us the world of good though.

Right better get on have good days all xx

Happy Birthday TA hope your day I lovely xxx
    Last edited by redruby; 12-03-2018 at 7:19 AM.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 12th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    • 3,471 Posts
    • 42,571 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread nmlc and hugs to all those in need.

The joiner is due today to put baskets in one of my kitchen cupboards, dgd is coming over so her mum can work, I have her tomorrow too.
    CHS is on lates t h is week so I'll by collecting him about 10 each night.
    I had a lovely mother's day meal yesterday with my Ds's, we went to the Compton Swan the food was delicious.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Mar 18, 7:22 AM
    • 6,188 Posts
    • 38,424 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:22 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:22 AM
    Happy birthday TA - just get through the funeral and then have a fabulous second half. Enjoy your afternoon tea, itís a lovely treat.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 12th Mar 18, 7:24 AM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 18,863 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:24 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:24 AM
    Good morning everyone

I was up bright and early again today but managed to have a shower and get dressed as I have some deliveries coming this morning and I don't want to frighten the drivers .

Today is the only day I have no appointments so I will be cleaning and tidying the house. I will test out my new vacuum cleaner as it has a pet attachment so will hopefully pick up all the pet hair as well as my lovely daughter's long flowing locks she seems to leave everywhere . I swear she moults worse than the dogs .

I am going to be starting my cooking today as well so will be organising the kitchen in a little while. I weighed myself this morning and after a little cry decided to make a load of slimming world recipes. Steve was annoyed he hasn't lost any weight either for a couple of weeks so we are both going to buckle down and eat a lot better than we have been.

Happy Birthday TA hope your birthday treat is as lovely as you hoped for.

Well, I am off to make the first of many cups of tea today. Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• tru
    • By tru 12th Mar 18, 7:26 AM
    • 8,627 Posts
    • 44,237 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:26 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:26 AM

Happy Birthday TravellingAbuela

Thinking of Holly, I hope she's OK xx

Yesterday felt like a gift exchange, lol. I took things to mum, she gave me teabags and tealights, master tru came round with things and he went home with a bag of rice and some curry. Miss tru gave me things and didn't get anything in return, I feel guilty, lol.

I'm trying to write the pattern for my little gift bags. I've searched and seached and can't find the exact same bag anywhere, so I'm confident I can say it's mine and I want to share the pattern. I'm struggling, I didn't realise it would be this difficult! Other people write easy-to-follow instructions, it looks so simple to just write down what you've done. I think there must be a secret formula they're not sharing with anyone else

I have a bit of other people's work to do today, then I'm going to get stuck into mine. I have a short to-do list and a list of things I want to learn. The weather is grey and miserable so there won't be many people about Ė perfect for a Scampi walk

• whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 12th Mar 18, 7:30 AM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 5,422 Thanks
    Happy birthday TA, enjoy your tea
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 4,227 Thanks
    Good morning All

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

Happy Birthday TA

Thinking of Holly

Raining again, but mild.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 15,838 Posts
    • 67,693 Thanks
    Happy birthday TA. I hope you have a lovely day.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 17,325 Thanks
    Good morning and many happy returns of the day TA!

I'm just writing this very quickly so that I can say it isn't raining because it has rained most of the night and it looks about to start again.

DS has finally given me his washing from his cases but said cases are still in the sitting room, also I don't think I've had his washing from this last week. So that won't get done, will it.

I'm very tired, had an awful night with OH snoring. He stops when I tell hi off but then started again. DS had the TV on while unpacking and I had to come down and ask him to reduce the sound so I'm in the bad books though I don't actually feel guilty.

Thinking of Holly.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 23,835 Thanks
    Morning everyone,

Many happy returns of the day TA hope your afternoon tea is fabulous.
    Hope you feel better soon Judi

Bit dull here but the sun is struggling to shine through, we are off into Cambridge on one of our occasional big shops, mainly stuff for the house such as new toaster and my big casserole dish has started to lose all its non-stickiness, my DOH needs a couple of new bits clothes wise as well.
    We will treat ourselves to coffee and cake whilst out as I donít really do prolonged shopping so need something to focus on
    Other than that not a lot planned, itís bean burgers and roasted veg couscous for tea.

Thoughts are with Holly and all others who are struggling at the moment, have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 14,772 Thanks
    Good morning all,

I had a nice-ish weekend. Although my team lost the Old Firm derby yesterday, disappointing. But then had a lovely meal with mum and gran for Mothers Day. I bought her flowers, wine and a card. I also gave her a jar of homemade chilli jam which I know she'll like.

Been to the gym this morning, and I've got 2 x games of football tonight, back to back. Chicken and veg for dinner, simple.

TA - Happy birthday!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 12th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 20,762 Thanks
    Morning all,

A very Happy Birthday TA,shame the funeral fell today but these things can't be helped.I hope you have a lovely afternoon tea - I didnt know that Betty's had one in Ilkley,been to the one in Harrogate years ago.Don't know that you'll need extra cake but here's one anyway Its a bit grim here,rained all night and meant to carry on most of the day, back to our normal weather then

DGD popped in yesterday afternoon but had been to a family party the night before and she fell asleep on the sofa! DH and I went for a walk on the moors and came home to our slow cooked beef and blackberry/apple crumble.DS1 had leftovers from Saturdays curry though..Perhaps the walk did me good as I prepped some meals for DS1 to take to work this week,he always complains that its nothing but sandwiches or pies on site and he's trying to cut down on wheat.I've been looking at buddha bowls on pinterest and made something similar-lets hope he likes it but at least I got a thank you and a kiss on the top of my head

Nelski- you are kind to sort a book and card for Holly-I'm sure it must help to know other people care about her wellbeing.Sorry to hear she was upset though and you had to speak to the wasp chewer.

I think I'll brave the rain in a bit and pop up the road to see DMs cousin (though I always called her Auntie as a child) I've not been for about 3 weeks.I do tend to always see her neighbour on the bus though & he keeps me up to date as he pops in for coffee at hers most days unless she has a DD visiting.

Lasagne for tea tonight I think.Take care everyone xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 12,407 Posts
    • 38,622 Thanks

Grey and rainy here ....suitable Monday weather

Big happy birthday to TA I have never had an afternoon tea at Bettys but judging by the fat rascals I can imagine it will be gorgeous Just in case you run out though heres some spare

Holly texted a few times last night (at least they are occasionally letting her use her phone) she is engaging a solicitor to help her with her rights as the hospital she is in is not suitable for her needs. Her bro is going to try to get her moved to a local hospital so that she can receive visits I think that will make a big difference as she must feel so lonely. I've sent the card this morning with all your messages on and I'm know that will cheer her up tomorrow.

Had a lovely big ham dinner last night with tons of veg. Some ham left over so may have the same again unless I get struck by a spark of creativity.

have a great day all
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 12th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    Woke up to no electricity, the whole village was off. Back on now so a cup of tea has restored my mood! Specky, talking of chili's I made some red pepper soup yesterday and decided to'perk it up' by adding some chili. note to self, about half the amount would have done. Boy it sure has a kick!
    Lovely day yesterday youngest son and family came for breakfast, I made Mary Berry's drop scones with raspberries, blueberries and creme fraiche.
    Happy Birthday TA enjoy your tea.
    • mehefin
    • By mehefin 12th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    Morning all
    Hugs and spoons to those that need them.
    A good weekend for a change. Finally got Mrs M's birthday present for Countrywide ( couldn't go before as they and we were snowed in). Shocked to hear they had gone into administration... when is it going to end?
    Got to ride mares for the 1st time since November,,feel a bit John Wayne today. The wussy one was great with the remaining snow drifts, and the normally sensible one was shying at everything.
    Piddling down here.. Riley our barn cat didn't think he should venture out.
    Sorted DS new car yesterday afternoon. Bonnet would not shut. Copious amounts of WD40, a few choice words and brute strength and ignorance later it was fixed! Amazing what a bit of fish extract can do.
    DS sorted teas for his Mum after so a double result. And they won the Rugby.
    Pembroke castle is lovely, it must be nearly 40 yrs since I was last there.
    Right off to do some banking ( whilst we still have one)
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 18,761 Thanks
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one, especially Holly. Happy birthday TA, hope you enjoy the tea this afternoon.

Lovely lunch with DD2 yesterday. She has at last managed to get out of the jimjams and into clothes, had a set back on Saturday she decided to go into Town with DGD, big mistake.........could not wait to get home, she really is not fit, I am hoping the Dr will put her on anothet sick note on Friday, she certainly is not fit to work.

Its chucking it down with rain this morning, so washing will do in the dryer.

Turkey fricassee for supper with rice and mixed veg.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,051Posts Today

8,981Users online

Martin's Twitter