Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• eddyinfreehold
    • By eddyinfreehold 11th Mar 18, 11:23 PM
    • 147Posts
    • 107Thanks
    Missing share certificates
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:23 PM
    Missing share certificates 11th Mar 18 at 11:23 PM
    My father died over two years ago and we are coming to the end of concluding the distribution of his estate. I, along with my sister and brother are the three executors. We have realised and distributed the vast majority of the estate but there is a small but difficult area to complete. There are three historical shareholdings, one for about £25 in a FTSE company, one with SSE and a third with Edinburgh Dragon Trust. In total they amount to about £4000. We have been unable to locate any share certificates but have been in receipt of correspondence from the companies, hence we know of the investment. None of the executors employ a stockbroker. Can anyone give advice as to the simplest and cheapest way of either cashing in or otherwise assigning the shares to a beneficiary?
Page 1
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 11th Mar 18, 11:40 PM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 5,180 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:40 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:40 PM
    You need to check which register handles each company and contact them to find out how to proceed.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Mar 18, 12:21 AM
    • 7,834 Posts
    • 8,573 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:21 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:21 AM
    or 0131 528 4000 / 0808 500 0040
    (Aberdeen Asset Managers - company secretary. The registrar appears to be Equiniti.)

Googling company name registrar will usually get you what you need, or look at the company's website under Investor Relations for the FTSE plc.

If you cannot locate the share certificates then you may have to buy an insurance policy against the missing certs being claimed by someone else.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • eddyinfreehold
    • By eddyinfreehold 12th Mar 18, 7:19 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:19 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:19 AM
    Many thanks. I will follow this up using the posted advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,765Users online

Martin's Twitter