Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Mar 18, 6:35 AM
    • 310Posts
    • 4,164Thanks
    O/S Daily Sunday 11th March 2018
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:35 AM
    O/S Daily Sunday 11th March 2018 11th Mar 18 at 6:35 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Page 2
    • dp1
    • By dp1 11th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    Morning everyone
    Nice and sunny here today and feels a bit milder.
    Spent the morning with my dad as usual on a Sunday - said to my mam to have coffee after church so I was there a bit longer than usual. it made my mam happy as she got a longer break from him. Every Sunday morning my dad sends an email to my eldest daughter who is at uni in Leeds - he talks and I type. It's often quite a ramble as he has dementia, but I write it as he says it....this morning he was telling her about how he fell and broke his arm when he was a little boy and about all the sweets he got for his birthday last week. He always ends with ....'well it won't be long till I see you'
    When I came home on Friday I had a pink envelope lying on the mat which was well chewed on one biggest cat I assumed....inside was my card from eldest DD and a packet of mini eggs...thankfully unchewed as they are my favourites.
    Well going to prepare tea ready for later and then have a nice read of my Sunday Times. Hope everyone has a good day.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 10,267 Posts
    • 111,544 Thanks
    Its an awkward situation really, she is upset because she is being held against her will but the more upset she is, the worse they will assess her mental health i'm assuming. However, i dont know how the system works so its a guess really. Holly thinking of you.
    Originally posted by Judi
    My experience is that if you can somehow work out what they want you to say, and just say it, even if you have your fingers crossed behind your back, they're more likely to let you be.

Am I right in thinking Holly lives alone? This may have been a factor; could be that I got off light because I have a DH (although they tried to make him have a "carers assessment" whatever that may be - he refused point blank).

Nelski you are a gem for trying so hard on Holly's behalf; and for keeping us informed as much as you're able.

I hadn't realised it was Mothers Day til I read the thread - that's how much I keep up to speed with current events! Still, luckily for me I don't have to go anywhere today other than taking Lizzie for her walks. She trots along beside the mobility buggy very well - though of course we have to stop at every 3rd blade of grass for her to have a sniff.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 11th Mar 18, 3:15 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 18,721 Thanks
    Afternoon, ((((((((((hugs))))))))))) if you need one, especially Holly, I do think she has been very badly treated.

Brekkie in bed as usual on Sunday, OH is not showering just now until we have sorted his itches. The Dr. told him he was too clean showering had dried out his skin, hence the itch.

Into Melton to Boyes, the tip and Aldi, then on to DD2's she had been into town yesterday, not a happy experience, she seems to be getting an aversion to crowds. DB now has his second water barrel, this one is for the new shed.

DGD had cooked a lovely chicken dinner for us which we enjoyed, malteser pavlova for dessert.

It was quite warm this morning so turned the heat off whilst we were out, have put the heating back on but lit the sitting room fire. Something on toast for supper tonight.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    • 6,180 Posts
    • 38,301 Thanks
    Afternoon all - I am back in my own wee nest!

All my tasks this morning were completed and our visitors dropped off at the airport. The 'drop off' area has changed and now it charges £2.00 for up to 10 minutes. We only took about three to stop, unload, hug, kiss and depart. It's not often I feel ripped off but I do today.

The drive home was really pleasant, no rain, hardly any heavy wagons but the bikers and carvanners were out in force - Spring is coming.

I've unpacked, had some food, drank a mini-glass of medicinal wine, filled the bird feeders and opened the mail. The new slippers I collected at the weekend are lovely and the others, which had a death threat attached, consigned to the spare room. I had also bought a 'compact' food processor for baking only, the box is not that compact. It's not been opened yet so I will see if I can even get it in the doorway of my even more compact kitchen.

Csarina - malteser pavlova!!!

My DM got such a huge amount of chocolate for her birthday, my cousin brought over mounds of German nougat for her and others gave her Lindt and Hotel Chocolat stuff. Today she jokingly complained about not getting any flowers or chocolate from me for Mothering Sunday! My card to her is lost amongst all the birthday ones.

We had words last night as she can be incredibly rude to me when in company. I am usually tolerant of it but yesterday I took the huff after the four episode. She doesn't mean it but needs to understand that she does it. We are still friends and I think she now understands, until she forgets.

Being aged 90 years cannot be all fun. Think I'll have to apply for Attendance Allowance for her shortly. Whilst it's not fun it makes for funny moments. DM commented yesterday how impressed she was with an email she received from the elder of her two nephews - she said she was surprised at his good English, especially the use of 'belated'. Today she herself was surprised to see that the email was in German and she had translated into English without thinking! At least her grey cells are working, even if a little wonky.

Now I'm in need of some peace and quiet - the front door is open to the evening sun which is twinkling on the sea and moving slowly over Jura. I shall not move for a wee while yet.

Thoughts are with Holly especially, I hope she's not too scared. Perhaps the 'looking after' will be of some help. Good work Nelski in keeping in touch with her.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 11th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 19,339 Thanks
    Gers, Stansted charges £3.00 for dropoff and yes I feel ripped off every time.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 8,652 Thanks
    I'll be Ok. Just felt a bit down in the dumps yesterday and today. Please don't worry about me I'll sort myself out and hopefully be back to me, warts and all. I have to as we have a busy week ahead, so I shall give myself a good talking to.
    You are doing great work looking out for Holly and I thank you for that .
    DD cheered me up with a huge bouquet which included my favourite yellow roses, some hand cream and a box of Thorn*ons ( which are almost demolished already ) There's nothing wrong with my appetite anyway !
    Hope to resume normality a.s.a.p
    Love nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 11th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 18,846 Thanks
    Good evening everyone

I have had a lovely Mother's Day with fantastic thoughtful presents and cards from my girls. I have just had a cuppa made for me and I have had a nice day, can't ask for more than that really.

Another busy week with appointments for Becky and myself looms but I am trying not to get too stressed about it all. I am going to spend tomorrow batch cooking so at least I don't have to worry about making dinner every day. Becky has offered to help so that will be nice.

I have had the dreaded PIP forms through so will spend some time this week doing the bits I can and then asking my lovely cmht lady to help me with the rest. I can't ask Steve to make any solid decisions about work until I know what is going to happen with that.

I want to fit in a visit to my friend this week as well as we haven't had a coffee and a catch up for ages. I know she is going through a pretty rubbish time at home so I would like to be a shoulder for her to cry on. She is always there for me even if it is only at the end of a phone. We have been friends now for 18 years and have gone through so much together I hope we will be friends forever.

I hope you all had a good day whatever you were doing. Hugs to those who are struggling for whatever reason. I know today can be difficult xx

• Floss
    • By Floss 11th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 4,352 Posts
    • 38,043 Thanks
    Have just found the Bloom & Wild package left between my wheelie bins by DPD while me & DH were out walking the Prom - "thank you"s sent to DS1, DS2 & DDiL
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 11th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 3,735 Posts
    • 44,381 Thanks
    Have just found the Bloom & Wild package left between my wheelie bins by DPD while me & DH were out walking the Prom - "thank you"s sent to DS1, DS2 & DDiL
    Originally posted by Floss
    Im use their flower delivery service a lot and have had some beautiful flowers from them.
    • M.E.
    • By M.E. 11th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 3,396 Thanks
    Stansted has a free drop off point at the mid term parking area. You drop off your passengers and depart. They then get the shuttle bus to the terminal. Also works to pick up if you know when they will arrive at the bus stop 13 in Zone K.

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    • 15,641 Posts
    • 132,569 Thanks
    I still think the drop-off rip off is disgusting, you leave feeling as though you have been held up by a highwayman.

Youngest DD came this morning bearing gifts bless her Three walnut whips, a tin of vodka and lime , a delicous smelly candle, a top and cardi to match .She is a good little lass and although works so hard with all the expence of their family (lots of children ) she always finds things she knows I like and appreciate.

My eldest DD is good as well and spends far too much ,but she earns twice as much as her sister so she can afford to, but each in their own way treat me to things I like and or need .

DGS Danny facetimed me again this afternoon and we had a long natter, He does get homesick especially on Mothers Day as he adores his Mum (my eldest) but we have a good natter and he is always a happy chappy by the time he finishes. Still keeps nagging me to fly out to see him

Its finding the time at the moment as my months seem to whizz by, and they are all booked up until the autumn at the moment I shall have to think about it.

Book club tomorrow morning, then a funeral in the afternoon so another busy day ahead .

Hope Holly H is OK and well done for keeping us up to date Nelski you are a treasure

right time to hit the pit, Night ,night God Bless all here

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb:£30.49 March £19.11
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

981Posts Today

7,007Users online

Martin's Twitter