Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Pat Black
    • By Pat Black 10th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Pat Black
    Section 75 claim
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    Section 75 claim 10th Mar 18 at 9:50 AM
    Hi I paid for advice and a service (I don't think I need to go into the details of what it was because it's complicated) from a company and subsequently found out that I did not need this service at all - they had lied. I was going to approach them to get my money back using Section 75 but they have just gone out of business. The company has been struck off by Companies House.

When looking at my credit card statement I have found that the name of the now defunct company does not appear on the credit card statement when I made the payment. It is the name of a firm of Chartered Accountants - presumably this firm's accountants when they were trading. The Accountants are still trading.
    Does this mean that Section 75 does not apply?
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 10th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 9,798 Posts
    • 11,011 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    To know if there is a possible S75 claim, you need to say what type of service it was, (ie, was it a business related one?).

If you paid the accountants and they then paid the company then it's possible that S75 wouldn't apply as there wasn't a direct link for the payment going from your card to the company.
    • Pat Black
    • By Pat Black 11th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pat Black
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    Section 75 Claim
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    The service the company was offering which I paid for was to get me out of any future obligations to pay maintenance fees for a timeshare. I have since discovered that I didn't have an obligation anyway. When I made the credit card payment I thought I was paying the company that was providing the service. It was only when I checked my credit card statement and saw that the company's name wasn't on it and it was a different name I didn't recognise. So I googled the name and found it was a firm of accountants.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

3,194Users online

Martin's Twitter