Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Mar 18, 6:19 AM
    • 2,993Posts
    • 41,074Thanks
    O/S Daily Saturday 10th March 2018
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:19 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 10th March 2018 10th Mar 18 at 6:19 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 10th March 2018

This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Nelski - if you have any contact with Holly please send our love and hugs, hoping she'll be back amongst us soon having received the best treatment for her x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, but laying water everywhere, it's been raining continuously since tea time last night, and is still going.

DH and myself now enjoying first peaceful cuppas - I'll be going for a shower soon then breakfast.

Dinner last night was a cheeky takeaway - we haven't had one for ages and fancied one, was very nice. Dinner tonight will be liver, bacon, sausage, chips, peas and gravy.

I had a voicemail from the repairers, to say that the engineer's van had broken down so my appointment to get the fridge freezer looked at had been cancelled and they had booked me in for the next available one which is Tuesday next week, rang them back to cancel that but managed to get re-booked for next Friday - I'll see if they turn up then. I'm so pleased I didn't take a day off work to be home, so now will only book this type of appointments on days' when I'm off so if they don't turn up I've not wasted a days' holiday. I have had this before where we've taken a days' holiday stayed in all day and no-one's turned up etc.

I did get the food shopping done just a bit later than normal as at least I knew the engineer wasn't coming by 8.30am so got organised and went straight to the SM, glad I did as it was packed already, now I remember why I go first thing! Once I got home I got going with the washing, drying and ironing, got the hoover ran over the house and I'd got up early and given the kitchen a good clean too so whilst not a show home, it's ok.

Today I'll be heading into town first thing to visit the building society, then home to continue with getting bedding washed and changed, and a few other jobs. We'll be visiting the parents at some point.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 10-03-2018 at 6:36 AM.
Page 2
    • redruby
    • By redruby 10th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 6,605 Posts
    • 91,842 Thanks
    Morning all

Raining here and set in for the day I think, I had a good sleep last night and we are just having toasted sandwiches for brunch.

Going to have a quick clean through the house after eating and we need to nip to the shop for a few bits for the week.

Tonight we are out for a meal for my birthday to a tapas place which I am very much looking forward to, there will be wine and Specky yes there was wine last night too

Nelski please add my name to the card for Holly and give her my best wishes, also thanks for arranging the card xx

Gers I hope your mum has a splendid birthday weekend xx

Dumpling Happy Birthday to your dd xx
    • dp1
    • By dp1 10th Mar 18, 11:15 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    Morning everyone
    Nelski - would you add my best wishes to holly too please. Hopefully she is being treated kindly.

Had a nice tea with my mam and dad yesterday - it was my dad's 83rd birthday. He wanted fish and chips from the chippy and chocolate cake - so that's what we had!

Been very productive this morning so far - got all my cleaning and jobs done by 10.30 so feeling quite pleased with myself. Will go down later and try to give some help with dad's new electric wheelchair. Its one which my mam will have to control and she really doesn't think she's going to be able to work it. We may have to practise in the garage though as it's pouring down at the minute. I'll also take advantage of her tumble dryer and dry my towels whilst I'm
    Hope everyone has a good day
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 10th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 3,807 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning All,

Just read about Holly. Nelski please send my best to Holly. Many Thanks.

I am fetching mom out the nursing home today to come to my house so best go now x
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 10th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 1,111 Posts
    • 5,426 Thanks
    me as well please Nel, she is in my thoughts, lets hope she's not away from home too long
    • cliffsgirl
    • By cliffsgirl 10th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Nelski can you please add my name to the card too. Thank you.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 15,647 Posts
    • 132,640 Thanks
    Good morning chums, and Nels please add my good wishes to HollyH on the card I think she has been treated dreadfully bless her, and she must feel so frightened and alone.Well she is not, as she has us all here to listen to her which is more than the bloody professionals are doing at the moment

Please tell her that all of her 'Virtual Friends' on here at MSE are all rooting for her and are hoping to see her back here chatting asap and feeling a lot more like her old self again and send all my good wishes and hugs from an old lady in Kent, JackieOxxxx

Well last night's annual Kent Messenger Charity quiz went well, although its a huge event we came 7th out of 30 plus teams so we were very happy with that Lots of nibbly things to eat which was nice and great company.

Best of all they raised £7.000 for various local charities, and the teams who entered for their charity were put into a lucky dip, (we were one called (Making Miracles, Little Grey Cells ) and I am so pleased that our little charity were given a donation of over £800 towards the 'Making Miracles' which will boost the funds no end. Plus one of my team Ruth, who is a trustee of the charity had spent a four hour stint on a stall yesterday morning selling knitted stuff to raise funds, and had made £370.00 as well.

When you are running a tiny charity every penny counts, and as its one that helps Mums who are struggling with baby bereavement, often through no fault of their own and there is a huge gap between the paid professionals and the Mums, that our councillors help to cover.

It is completely run on donations and fund raisers and yesterday was a brilliant day for the charity. All of our team stood and cheered and a lot of people were asking abut it afterwards which is good.

We have a 'Big Knit' in October at Rochester Cathedral where people come and give an hour or two of their time just to knit a square towards our baby blankets, and we have folk from all over Kent turning up.

Last year myself, apart from the other ladies, sewed together and knitted borders for 15 baby blankets that got sold at the Dickens Christmas festival in Rochester.

I am already making tiny knitted Christmas bells in pink and blue to be sold as 'remembering bells' to go onto the Cristmas tree for the babies who didn't survive, but are not forgotten.We also have a rememberance garden in Rochester where folk go to lay a small stone and remember their forgotten babies ,as unborn children befor 24 weeks do not even get a birth or death certificate.

Its amazing how many women have turned up to help out with just an hour or two and how much difference its made to the charity. So last night was just the icing on the cake for us all.

Tonight I am off out again but this time to dinner with my DD and son-in-law and his Mum Margaret and his sister and her OH Paul. We are having a curry at the local place to us which is excellent as a pre Mum's Day treat. It will be nice for us all to get together as Paul's Dad sadly died a bout two weeks ago and we all have his funeral to go to on Monday.Thats two funerals this year already, and I have another one the following week to attend as well.

Well time to get a wriggle on as I have a bit of ironing to get out of the way as well. Hope you all have a good weekend and you all are warm and dry (its raining here in Kent but not cold thank goodness )

take care chums

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb:£30.49 March £19.11
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 10th Mar 18, 1:18 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 6,580 Thanks
    Afternoon all!

Sorry to hear about Holly. I had to find yesterday's thread to see what had happened. I hope she's doing better, and back with us very soon!

I've had a busy week at school, with two late nights for parents evenings. Thursday night I didn't get home until nearly 9pm, which left me exhausted, having been out the house from 7am.
    Today I've just had a quiet morning. I did the food shop and had my weekly Costas. I also spent a productive hour sorting out stuff for next week at work. And now I'm at a bit of a loose end! Not quite sure what I feel like doing! Household chores are sorted and things are generally neat and tidy! Don't really feel like watching telly, don't fancy a brew, don't feel like reading, so just wandering about!

I will be out later though. I'm meeting a friend at TGI Fridays at 7:30 for dinner, which will be very nice, but MUCH later for dinner than I'd really prefer! I'm more of a "eat at 5:30/6pm" kind! But it's the only time she could do so... Hey ho.

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. Mine lives 2 hours away from me, but luckily my sister, who lives a bit closer is spending the weekend with her. I've arranged an Interflora flower delivery, which is my usual mothers day gift for her. It is her "first" mothers day since my dad died last September. And while it's not a holiday specifically linked to dad, I'm glad she won't be on her own all day.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 10th Mar 18, 1:42 PM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 19,356 Thanks
    Nelski, please add my name to Hollie's card.

We're waiting for DS and DiL to pop in so that we can give her her belated birthday gifts. I got a card and thought "It isn't my birthday till next week" and then realised it's mothering Sunday tomorrow, doh.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 10th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 4,229 Thanks
    Nelski can you send Holly my love and best wishes please.

Gers hope your DM is enjoying her Birthday
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 4,357 Posts
    • 38,108 Thanks
    Nelski please pop my name on the card too, thank you.

Am a bit meh today...Mothers Day tomorrow, 27 years since my dad died on Tuesday, what would have been my mums 88th birthday 2 weeks's a difficult time of year for me every Spring. However we do have things to celebrate in 2018 too - DS's 30th this year and DH and I have been together 15 years this April and DNiece's First Communion in May

Having a lazyish day today - we had friends round for a long boozy meal last night so am hoping the washing-up fairies have been overnight! DH has been watching a footie match on tv then its rugby later this afternoon, followed by a bit of catch-up Masterchef
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Mar 18, 2:11 PM
    • 4,357 Posts
    • 38,108 Thanks
    P.S. DH has just shown me my Mothers Day card from DS2...came in the post addressed to "Mother", *** Our Road etc! Bless him!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 10,279 Posts
    • 111,631 Thanks
    Nelski please would you pass along the strength and fortitude of the Wolf Spirit to our dear Holly; hopefully this will help her to endure.

Having seen how that poor lass has been treated, I really do feel I dodged a pretty big bullet with my own brush with the MH "professionals". Ugh, it doesn't bear thinking about!

Still - I have Lizzie Sprocker Spaniel here for her holiday; she already found a manky old crab apple (one that Mr LW missed when he did Lawn Patrol yesterday) and it took me an age to get it back off her, the naughty girl!

ETA: Floss cross-posted with you - I hope you can have some pleasant memories to help you through the difficult time of year.
    Last edited by LameWolf; 10-03-2018 at 2:15 PM.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 10th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 20,762 Thanks
    Good afternoon all,

Raining here and has been since late yesterday afternoon. The stream down the steps across the road has turned into a raging torrent,I could hear it when I took Ly1a out this morning

Nelski -what a lovely idea to send a card from us all,and thanks for updating us yesterday.Please send my love & best wishes to Holly and hope her stay has a positive effect.We are all thinking of her xx

DGS is still here after his overnight stay,he's sat watching Shrek with his Grandpa & Daddy.DGD is at a party but she may visit tomorrow.

My friend did come yesterday and we went to an Italian cafe.I had a slice of carrot cake and coffee,and she had smoked salmon bruschetta as she hadnt had any lunch,I cut a piece off my gigantic piece of cake for her too.She enjoyed the afternoon anyway,it was a belated birthday treat from me.She brought a NutriBlend bullet type smoothie maker with her that I bought from her ( well actually DSons have bought it for my Mothers Day pressie ).She got it for her son at Xmas but hes never used it and agreed to sell.Got some F&V this morning and have had a bit of an experiment .It's much easier to clean than the juicer so I think it'll get more use.

Curry for tea tonight,and I've got a beef joint for tomorrow that can go in the sc.Hope everyone has the best weekend they can xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 10th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 2,807 Thanks
    Nelski, please add my name to Holly's card, she's in my thoughts
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 10th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    Afternoon ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Nels, please add me to the card, I hope Holly is soon back with us. She has been so badly treated through all this.

Late getting up this morning, once I had cleaned the worktops etc in the kitchen it was lunch time.

I brought the car round so we could put the stuff in for the tip run tomorrow.........talking to my neighbour over the road this morning, her son was one of the witnesses to my daughters accident last week. She is getting on ok, Dr has signed her off work for another week.

Great grandson was one yesterday, the year has flown by, he went on his first train ride yesterday and the sealife world.

We have had a couple of showers this morning, its rather dark and gloomy but not as cold as it has been recently.

Spag bol and garlic bread for supper tonight. We are at DD2's for lunch tomorrow.
    • wmf
    • By wmf 10th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 21,436 Thanks
    Please add my love to HH. Thanks for letting us know what happened x
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 10th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 47,969 Thanks
    Nelski....please add my love on Holly's card. Thank you for your kindness in letting us all participate.

Weight 08 February 86kg
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 4,357 Posts
    • 38,108 Thanks
    Thank you LW have fun with Lizzie xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 6,189 Posts
    • 38,433 Thanks
    Iím back after the afternoon tea and am enjoying being horizontal for a short while.

FBO - yes, probably was me. Sorry we missed each other again. I was collecting the party food and the lovely assistants couldnít find one part of the order. After a bit of a longer search it turned up. It all looks very tasty.

The afternoon tea was splendid. Only six of us so not too big a table. The posh hotel was packed! Seems that there is an ĎOld Firmí game on tomorrow so many people were doing the Motherís Day stuff today. DM is very tired now so is on the sofa watching a bit of TV before our guests return for the buffet. Iím a bit cream crackered myself TBH.

My cousin proudly showed me his collection of British money - ten old pound coins and some old paper money too. I took them from him, gave him new in return and will get them swapped at my bank or P.O.

Nelski - please add my good wishes for Holly too. I hope sheís safe and warm.

Dp1 - your fatherís birthday celebrations sound just dandy too.

Thanks for all your good wishes for my DM and her birthday, I really appreciate them all. Now I need to inspect the inside of my eyeballs for a wee while.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 45,347 Thanks
    Popped in just now and had to read back to find out what had happened to Holly.
    That poor girl. Professional these people may be, but where was their compassion and understanding. Their behaviour was calculated to cause the maximum anxiety and distress.
    I don't understand al the secrecy and cloak and dagger stuff.

Jackie0, I love all you do for little charities. I much prefer to support little local charities rather than the big glossy ones.
    I love the memorial for lost babies too. There is a similar garden in the National Arboretum as well. I love to read the messages written on the stones and always breathe a few prayers of gratitude for our own healthy children.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

2,477Users online

Martin's Twitter