Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• scottishgirl87
    • By scottishgirl87 9th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 658Posts
    • 359Thanks
    Thoughts on buying house with high school behind?
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    Thoughts on buying house with high school behind? 9th Mar 18 at 7:37 PM
    I am swithering back and forth between viewing this house or not. We have been living with my parents for 8 months now, having sold our flat, and have been outbid on 3 properties so far. Things in our area are scarce and selling way over Home Report value...a house has come on the market today which ticks alot of our boxes but the one thing putting me off is that behind the back garden fence is the local high school car park with the entrance road being only 2 houses down from this one.

On one hand Iím thinking the garden would be great for privacy in the Summer and we both leave the house at 8am and get home after 6pm so would miss the inevitable school scrum but Iím still not sure. Itís a very highly rated high school if it makes any difference?
Page 2
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 10th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 21,398 Thanks
    Speak to the school! What is it like??

I'm a teacher and the school I am at thoroughly support our neighbours as best we can.

Teachers and parents are asked to park respectfully (does the school have enough staff parking???) and any issues with kids are sorted immediately.

Parking and traffic will be the biggest issue though. Does the house have suitable off road parking?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 10th Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Also, I came home one day to find a parent had decided to park on my drive whilst awaiting their sprog and was quite indignant when I politely invited them to remove them self! There are also problems with pavement and grass verge parking.
    Originally posted by Ci bach
    I would've blocked them in and refused to move - afterall, they were trespassing on your property
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 10th Mar 18, 4:00 PM
    • 36,941 Posts
    • 155,673 Thanks
    Either the school is not well thought of and no one outside the area wants to go there. You may then suffer from anti-social pupil behaviour.

Or the school is well regarded, everyone from miles away wants to go there. Parents drive their cherubs to school and you have parent parking issues.

Two extremes, must schools are somewhere in the middle.

Of course, schools change characteristics over the years.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 10th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    Having lived close to a school, I would never live near one again.

Again, parents would park up across my driveway and then vanish for ages with their kids. Don't just think they drop them off, they have to chat to other parents at the school gates, and then perhaps go off to a local parent's for coffee and a chinwag!

On one particular occasion, I missed a hospital appointment due to being blocked in. I left a note on the car windscreen explaining what had happened and to please not do it again. The note was posted back through my door with 'F*&^K O&%' written across it.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 10th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 11,753 Posts
    • 16,548 Thanks
    You might leave the house at 8am but what time does breakfast club at the school start? You could still be caught in the morning scrum.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 10th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 57,891 Posts
    • 51,262 Thanks
    Whatever house you choose to buy. Always worth being there at various times of the day to actually see it what it is like. Even what appears to be quietest road isn't.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

106Posts Today

1,406Users online

Martin's Twitter