Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Ptpenry
    • By Ptpenry 9th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    0 WOW
    Useless refund from Fly Dubai
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    0 WOW
    Useless refund from Fly Dubai 9th Mar 18 at 9:22 AM
    About 3 months ago, I booked to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. There are no direct flights to Tanzania from the UK for some reason, so I ended up booking flights from London to Dubai with British Airways, then flights from Dubai to Kilimanjaro with Fly Dubai.

I recently found that I had to make some changes to my plans, so looked into the costs of cancelling my flights;

∑ BA/Avios stated a cancellation fee of £35
    ∑ The FlyDubai website showed a cancellation fee of AED 200 per flight (about £79 in total)

I thought that these were reasonable, so cancelled both sets of flights and rebooked with KLM for my revised travel dates, this time via Amsterdam, as these were cheaper for my revised dates.

BA/Avios have refunded me the £421 I am due from them. I was shocked to find that Fly Dubai have only issued me with a voucher for the amount that I should be refunded. The voucher is no good to me. Fly Dubai donít fly to or from the UK, plus it expires in 6 months, plus the voucher can only be used by me anyway so I can't even sell it! Rather than costing me the £79 that I expected as a cancellation fee for the flights, it is due to cost me the full amount I paid, of about £409.

Their "cancellation, refund and no show policies by fare type" shown at the point of booking only mentions vouchers for partial cancellations. eg. "A flydubai voucher will be issued less an AED 200 fee per person, per flight plus any difference in the fare." However, the text for full cancellations does not mention vouchers. It simply states "Economy Class - Free to change AED 200 per person, per flight."

When I queried this, they pointed me to another set of "conditions of carriage" on another webpage 2 clicks away, which states that refunds are made in the form of a voucher..."unless required to do so by applicable local laws".

I don't know why they would specifically mention vouchers for partial cancellations and not for full cancellations, when both types appear to be treated in the same way according to their "conditions of carriage". If they had been clearer about this and I had known I would get no refund, I would have used Fly Dubai for my revised travel dates rather than switching to KLM.

I'm probably clutching at straws, but does anyone know of any "applicable local laws" in the UK (I assume!) that requires Fly Dubai to issue a refund rather than a voucher?

Page 1
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 9th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    Perhaps get your cardprovider involved and make your case to them. I agree that the fare conditions presented at the time of booking are a bit confusing although they do say in their FAQ that all refunds will be in the form of a voucher.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 9th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    • 3,016 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    As the flight had nothing to do with the UK, I do not think any local laws here apply. It is fairly obvious that in Dubai, which will be the usual legal system applicable in sales on line by a Dubai based airline, refunds are acceptable as vouchers, in many cases EU based low cost airlines don't offer any refund at all if you decide to cancel, and whether you knew it or not Fly Dubai is a low cost carrier. The offer to change at 200 AED appears to only cover changing to another Fly Dubai flight, not trying to get your money back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,216Posts Today

8,528Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have you planned how to finance your funeral? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll...

• If you're coming to the ideal home show today, I'm taking at 2. Do come along. To whet the appetite, here's a pic f?

• Today's twitter poll: When u see a disabled toilet, whether in a restaurant, station or elsewhere, if there's no ot?

• Follow Martin