Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• 80's Girl
    • By 80's Girl 9th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    80's Girl
    Scared of my Bosses to say no?
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    Scared of my Bosses to say no? 9th Mar 18 at 8:02 AM
    Recently had to go to a trade fair with the boss, M25, M1. They scared me half to death!!! Driving too fast, too close and changing lanes to sharply, barely missing numerous cars. I had my eyes closed for most of the journey home.

We are supposed to be going to another one in a few weeks time...but I really don't want to have to get in a car with them driving ever again. I felt sick, scared and so glad to get home in one piece.

How should I tell the boss (or anyone else) that I don't want to go with them. I know i'd really hurt their feelings (dent their pride), and make things awkward, but they really are bad.
    Last edited by 80's Girl; 10-03-2018 at 7:06 AM.
Page 2
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 9th Mar 18, 10:54 PM
    • 5,079 Posts
    • 6,344 Thanks
    If driving is happening as part of work, they should have a risk assessment for it. It may be useful to read.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • 80's Girl
    • By 80's Girl 10th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    80's Girl
    Thanks everyone for your replies...

I am an experienced driver, and have done many motorway miles in the past. So I was all too aware of the dangers. Don't have a need to use them these days, as I have a short local commute.
    I wouldn't be able to make my own way to these things for a number of reasons.
    Firm wouldn't pay 2 lots of expenses for the same journey (fuel/parking), when a company vehicle is also making the trip.
    The car I choose to drive now, is great for my needs, but is not suitable to long Motorway journeys, as driving is not a role of my job. I checked my insurance last night, and I'm not even covered for it either.

@ReadingTim - I can assure you that even with my eyes closed (after witnessing the first part of the journey) I can tell that hard acceleration, braking, and lane changing is being done without the need to look. Motorways are all about doing things smoothly, no sudden movements (unless in an emergency), which helps keep everything flowing.
    You sound like the kind of person who would take really kindly to an employee telling you that your driving is not up to scratch, and to be told to slow down, and back off.

Thanks again everyone...I think next time i'll try and get out of going in the first place. and if I do have to, I shall be more vocal on the journey, and be a complete PITA "back seat" driver, and see how that goes!!
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 10th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Some company vehicles have systems installed to monitor how they are being driven - these monitor behaviours like harsh braking and aggressive acceleration...

Is it a company car (which may have such a system installed) or is their own private vehicle?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,424Users online

Martin's Twitter