Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• GrandNash89
    • By GrandNash89 8th Mar 18, 10:00 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mortgage Offer changed
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:00 PM
    Mortgage Offer changed 8th Mar 18 at 10:00 PM
    Hi everyone

My Halifax mortgage offer was pre approved on Monday but had mine and my partners income verified and surveys instructed

Anyway Headoffice told my mortgage adivisor my income is fine but as my partner has had a few months on SMP and is a zero hours contract not all of her income can be taken into account.

This left us with a shortfall of 2.5k between offer amount and the deposit amount we have. No biggie we can cover that

But they imposed that we must re pay my partners Apple iPhone payment plan (0% apr) and close my Barclaycard account which is paid off in full every month in the last 5 years!

I thought that was a little bit unreasonable, asked if it would be better to go alone in my name, The advisor said thatís fine and I can keep the credit card and obviously my partner can keep her iPhone payment plan and they will only need an extra 1k to cover the difference

Is that normal for a lender to do? I earn 5x more than my partner but I wanted to do it together any advice?
Page 1
    • nicmyles
    • By nicmyles 9th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    What does your broker say?

Maybe try a different lender? Those conditions do sound unreasonable, I agree, although I don't think there's really anything stopping you closing those accounts and then reopening them immediately after completion. I don't think they can ban you from having a particular credit card for the duration of your mortgage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,716Posts Today

8,634Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have you planned how to finance your funeral? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll...

• If you're coming to the ideal home show today, I'm taking at 2. Do come along. To whet the appetite, here's a pic f?

• Today's twitter poll: When u see a disabled toilet, whether in a restaurant, station or elsewhere, if there's no ot?

• Follow Martin